iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » What are your guilty pleasure tunes... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What are your guilty pleasure tunes...
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I love Springsteen!!! I've always thought of John mellencamp as like springsteens little brother
Ouch! Backhanded compliment!

quote:
Like a handful of songs, not a big fan though.
Straight to the point! I often find Springbean's image is what turns people off about him. I still think 'Born to Run' and 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' are classics. What is your fave Coug album?
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by logan5: Straight to the point! I often find Springbean's image is what turns people off about him. I still think 'Born to Run' and 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' are classics. What is your fave Coug album?

The Best That I Could Do 1978-1988. I like the fact that he re-recorded them instead of just a compilation. I like Bruce's "Hungry Heart".

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Best That I Could Do 1978-1988. I like the fact that he re-recorded them instead of just a compilation.
Quote from a comedy show:

Ben: "I didn’t know you were into music. I know you’re a DJ, but I’ve heard your show."
Alan: "Oh, yeah. I like all the bands. I’ve got a broad taste, you know. From the britpop bands like UB40, Def Leppard, right back to classic rock, like Wings."
Ben: "Who’s Wings?"
Alan: "They’re only the band the Beatles could have been."
Ben: "I love the Beatles."
Alan: "Yeah, so do I."
Ben: "What’s your favourite Beatles album, then?"
Alan: "Tough one. I think I’d have to say ‘The Best of the Beatles’."

Your fave Coug album made me think of that! It is nice that he re-recorded them. What's your fave non collection type album?

I always felt Tracy Chapman's 'Fast Car' was a ripoff of 'Jack and Diane' - but don't quote me on that!

quote:
I like Bruce's "Hungry Heart".
From 'The River'. It's a good album, but a bit sprawling.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by logan5: Your fave Coug album made me think of that! It is nice that he re-recorded them. What's your fave non collection type album? Sorry-that one's still my fave! I guess if I had to pick one non compile it would be Scarecrow. He really hit his stride with Farm Aid and shedding the Cougar.

I always felt Tracy Chapman's 'Fast Car' was a ripoff of 'Jack and Diane' - but don't quote me on that! They do sound similar.

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Sorry-that one's still my fave! I guess if I had to pick one non compile it would be Scarecrow. He really hit his stride with Farm Aid and shedding the Cougar.
Doesn't matter how many times he writes his name without it - he'll never shed the Cougar!

"Rain on the scarecrow - blood on the plooooough!"

quote:
They do sound similar.
It's the guitar strum bit. And maybe the 'escape from smalltown USA' theme. From henceforth I shall refer to Tracy Chapman as "that stinking Cougar ripoff merchant". What's the betting I never have the chance, and have to shoehorn it in to conversations?:

"Oh, so you like Metallica? You know who Metallica were heavily influenced by? John Cougar Mellencamp. Yup. And you know who ripped him off, don't you? Tracy Chapman. She's a stinking Cougar ripoff merchant. It's a fact."

Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a guy.. singing this awesome tune in a convertible usually makes my passenger put the top up:

youtube

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
As a guy.. singing this awesome tune in a convertible usually makes my passenger put the top up:

youtube

I'd totally back you up on singing that one. It's perfect! Top down - summers day - yippeeeeee!
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can believe you, Valley.

It is the sort of song that makes you want to tap your feet to it while you listen to it.

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my guilty pleasures are the band America and the first Edie Brickell album.
Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by xchazx:
my guilty pleasures are the band America and the first Edie Brickell album.

No guilt necessary:

"Oz never did give nothin' tooooo the Tin Man, that he didn't, didn't already have"

Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ok, I finally found a guilty pleasure to admit to-although I may have to turn in my rock card afterward [Smile]

My name is Bamersy and I like songs by........John Denver!

When his songs were popular, I associated him with stuff my mom listened to and The Muppets. I thought it was hilarious when his song meant impending doom during the first Final Destination.

Alas, Country Roads have taken me home-could be a mid life crisis [Smile]

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
My name is Bamersy and I like songs by........John Denver!
*Stands up in a show of solidarity*

"My name is not Logan5, and I like John Denver too!"

quote:
Alas, Country Roads have taken me home-could be a mid life crisis [Smile]
Come on...

"Sunshiiiiine on my shoooooulders makes me haaaaappy"

John Denver's only crime was being sentimental and using the obligatory 70's 'country boy' lyrics too heavily (and looking like the Milky-Bar kid). Apart from that, he was ok. He would never have made it post MTV.

Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
Originally posted by logan5: John Denver's only crime was being sentimental and using the obligatory 70's 'country boy' lyrics too heavily (and looking like the Milky-Bar kid).

More like Cousin Oliver [Wink]

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look Peter was the one that broke the vase! Cousin Oliver gets blamed for everything Bamsery. It is between him and Ronnie's fav Scrappy Doo. [Wink]
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Speaking of John Denver.. no joke.. I was getting ready to fly to Portland once and "Rocky Mountain High" was playing over the loudspeaker at the magazine shop at the airport.. talk about a "Final Destination" freak out!
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a fan of John Denver's music. Much too wholesome for me!

But that said, I do admire him that he was one of the first celebrity environmental and humanitarian activists. He was doing charity benefits for hunger-related causes back in the 70's, way before the musical charity trend ("We Are The World", Live-Aid, USA For Africa, etc.) And I was suprised that Denver was not invited to participate in any of that.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
I saw a bio on him not long ago that was really good. It talked about how he went to (Japan?) thinking he could travel incognito-but when he got off the plane he was mobbed.

Apparently the leader at the time had one of his cassettes and his music was played regularly on the radio.

His daughter talked about playing Annie's Song at her wedding-John had died before that event.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
More like Cousin Oliver [Wink]
They all look the same! When did that look go out of fashion?!

quote:
His daughter talked about playing Annie's Song at her wedding-John had died before that event.
His one and only hit single over here (# 1). Makes me want to cry.

I always think of him in 'Oh God!'. Career peak perhaps? A step too far?

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez..there are so many songs I enjoy that test the authenticity of my manhood. Yet I feel virtually no guilt for liking any of them. I've even been known to break down and whimper like a lost little puppy if the mood of a certain song or two hits me right.

So, here's some examples of "Guilty" pleasure songs that I enjoy that I happen to feel no guilt about..

Wham - Careless Whisper
Cyndi Lauper - True Colors/Time After Time/She Bop
Madonna - La Isla Bonita/Over & Over/Borderline
Martika - Toy Soldiers
Ultravox - Dancing with tears in my eyes
Talk Talk - Candy
Army of Lovers - When the Night is Cold/Crucified
Melissa Manchester - Looking through the eyes of Love
Roxette - It must have been love
Tina Turner - Private Dancer
Irene Cara - What a Feeling (Flashdance)
Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart
Heart - Alone
The Pointer Sisters - I'm So Excited
The Jacksons - Torture
Tiffany - I think we're alone now
Milli Vanilli - Blame it on the Rain
Backstreet Boys - I want it that way
Billy Ocean - Get Out of my Dreams (Get into my Car)
Lita Ford - Shot of Poison
Pat Benetar - Love is a Battlefield
Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights/The Sensual World
Total Coleo - I Eat Cannibals
Vanity 6 - Nasty Girl
Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)

...ok..I could go on if I keep thinking hard enough, but I think you get the idea. When it comes to music, I have no shame. I'm as gay as gay can get. [Cool]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pac Man Fever

i got a pocket full of quarters

and im heading for the arcade!

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home