iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Video Made the Radio Star..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Video Made the Radio Star..
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MTV burst on the scene in 1981 playing the now infamous "Video Killed the Radio Star" by The Buggles and this introduction of a 24/7 music video channel would quickly change the dynamics with how we would regard popular music going forward.  

But to put a twist on things.. let's think of 80's music videos that actually 'made' the Radio Star .. what I mean is:  What music videos were so cool or fun to watch that they actually enhanced your enjoyment of the tune.  Do you still think of the music video when you hear the song?  Would you like it as much if not for the music video?

Here are a few from me:

a-Ha "Take On Me"

-

Robert Palmer "Addicted To Love"

-

ZZ Top "Sharp Dressed Man"

-

[ 14. May 2010, 12:27: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Half the Duran vids are stuck in my head. Ditto Wham! and Tears for Fears. The best videos seemed to underscore the persona the artist was projecting.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
 What music videos were so cool or fun to watch that they actually enhanced your enjoyment of the tune.  Do you still think of the music video when you hear the song?

Superb choices already: ZZ Top, Duran Duran, Robert Palmer... they all had a bunch of good music video's.
Here are a few that I can't listen to without playing the music video in my mind.

The Alan Parsons Project - Don't Answer Me
 -

Don Henley - The Boys of Summer
 -

Alexander O'Neal - Criticize
 -

Huey Lewis & The News - Stuck with You
 -

The Bangles - Walk Like an Egyptian
 -

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here's my list of some of the most memorable music videos that I liked that I can remember, and yes...I still think of the videos everytime I hear these songs:

Herbie Hanc0ck - Rockit
Duran Duran - Wild Boys
Metallica - One
Faith No More - Epic
Ozzy Osbourne - Shot in the Dark
The Bangles - Manic Monday
The Bangles - Walk Like an Egyptian
Whitesnake - Here I Go Again
Whitesnake - Is this Love
Warrant - Cherry Pie
Skid Row - Slave to the Grind
Skid Row - 18 & Life
AC/DC - You Shook Me all night long
Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood
Motley Crue - Girls, Girls, Girls
George Michael - Father Figure
Twisted Sister - I Wanna Rock
Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take it
A-ha - Take On Me
Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time
Lionel Richie - Hello
The Cars - You Might Think
The Cars - Drive
Lita Ford - Kiss Me Deadly
Lita Ford - Playing with Fire
Michael Jackson - Thriller
The Jacksons - Torture
Bruce Springstein - Dancing in the Dark
Aerosmith - Janie's Got a Gun
Devo - Whip It
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives me Crazy
Tom Petty - Don't Come Around Here No more
Missing Persons - Destination Unknown
Blondie - Rapture
Billy Idol - Dancing With Myself
Rick James - Superfreak
David Bowie - China Girl
Billy Ocean - Loverboy
Ray Parker Jr. - Ghostbusters
George Harrison - Got My Mind Set on You
Gary Numan - Cars
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are made of this)
Berlin - No More Words
Adam Ant - Strip

..k...I could probably list a ton more if I really sat here and thought about it..But I'll stop there.

...and here's a link to a random 80's music video site I found if anyone Is having trouble remembering some.

http://www.80smusicvids.com/

[ 15. May 2010, 18:11: Message edited by: Pyromantic ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TKO .. awesome presentation of your choices! Huey Lewis & The News, The Bangles, and Don Henley had great music videos back then.

Pryomantic.. where to start with your incredible list. Still the best Metallica song ever.. Tawny Kitaen on a car hood... Neidermeyer from "Animal House.. Lita Ford the contortionist in acid wash jeans.. Sledgehammer was beyond vibrant.. Bowie was Blue Jean.. Adam Ant was the true Little General of MTV.. and I love The Cars videos, the odd couple that has last all these years!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Two Lost Souls
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8863

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Two Lost Souls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I completely agree with "Take On Me". I enjoy the song because I love the video. It was so innovative for its time.

Also, "Thriller". I don't think it's the best song, but the video is so great, it made the song better. You can't listen to "Thriller" without playing the video in your head.

In the same sense, I'd say "Bille Jean" to, though I think that's a great song on its own. When I hear the song, I see sidewalks lighting up in my head...it makes the song even more fun.

Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
What about the mindtrip that was Duran Duran's "Girls On Film"?

I never quite understood the video though it was extremely memorable even if I later learned it had been heavily edited just to be able to air on MTV. Still one of my fav Duran Duran tunes influenced by the entertaining music video.

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
What about the mindtrip that was Duran Duran's "Girls On Film"?

I never quite understood the video though it was extremely memorable even if I later learned it had been heavily edited just to be able to air on MTV. Still one of my fav Duran Duran tunes influenced by the entertaining music video.

I don't think I've ever seen the uncensored version of "Girls on Film." But in all honesty, even if I did I don't think it could top "Wild boys" on my list.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
TKO .. awesome presentation of your choices!
TKO - how did you do them?

Even though he's been mentioned solo, I want to repeat for emphasis:

ADAM AND THE ANTS!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Logan,

VLC Media Player has a tool to take snapshots of the content you're playing. I added the film strip afterwards.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by TKO:
Logan,

VLC Media Player has a tool to take snapshots of the content you're playing. I added the film strip afterwards.

What did you add the filmstrip with?
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
I made it in Inkscape.

If you like I can send it to you. But in order to open/use it, you'll have to install Inkscape.
It's open source thus free.

[ 17. May 2010, 05:14: Message edited by: TKO ]

TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
I also remember how much I always liked the Madness video's.
They weren't really flashy or spectacular, but they sure were fun to watch.

I recently bought 'Total Madness', which contains their biggest hits and music video's. As well as a couple of new songs.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
If you like I can send it to you. But in order to open/use it, you'll have to install Inkscape.
It's open source thus free.

Free?! I'll take it!
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first thing to pop into my head was AHAs Take On Me

Some of my favoriets were DURAN DURANs. They were beautifully made, and lets face it, those guys were a joy to look at! Hot hot hot!

VAN HALEN and then DAVID LEE ROTH solo had some great videos. My favorite -and its probably my favorite video of all time - was Hot for Teacher.
By the timee Dave was solo and doing stuff like Just A Gigilo and Yankee Rose I saw an interview show with him where he explained he was very hands on in the video-making process. He didnt like directors coming in and telling him what to do. He liked to pick stuff from his own crazy imagination.

Tom Petty has some gems. Last Dance With Mary Jane is sickly gorgeous and Dont Come Around Here is bizarre and funny too.

The Cars You Might Think is a good one. Still funny after all these years.

Im glad someone mentioned Dont Answer Me by ALAN PARSONS PROJECT. That was a nice one. Good song too.

Does anyone remember Cry by GODLEY AND CREME? That one was beautiful in its own weird way. Its like an early blueprint for the Michael Jackson video Black Or White: peoples faces morphing into other peoples faces.

Speaking of Michael Jackson his were always good cuz hes a joy to watch dance. Smooth Criminal was an impressive one.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:

Does anyone remember Cry by GODLEY AND CREME? That one was beautiful in its own weird way. Its like an early blueprint for the Michael Jackson video Black Or White: peoples faces morphing into other peoples faces.

I don't think I ever saw the music video, but I LOVE this song so much!
Whenever I hear it, I immediately associate it with Miami Vice.. and that episode with Ted Nugent.

I think of it as Crockett's Theme (part 2)

mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look up the video on YOU TUBE. Its really good. Its sort of moving too (as most of the people in it actually DO cry!)
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Criminal Mind by Gowan

We're Not gonna Take It by Twisted Sister

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:

Tom Petty has some gems. Last Dance With Mary Jane is sickly gorgeous.

I love the "Last Dance with Mary Jane" video too. Though it came out in the 90's...it's still very good...And I kidd you not when I say that video is one of Kim Basinger's most memorable roles. She's a natural at playing a corpse and so much better of an actress when she's not speaking.=)

Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great thread! I have to agree with A-Ha at the top, that's still the most innovative music vid ever. Madonna gets a nod for La Isla Bonita, George Michael's Faith, Jacko gets major props for taking the concept to new heights with Thriller,

Berlin's Take My Breath Away which gets in just because it isn't trying at all---All right, just stand on that plane over there--is that it? yes, we'll just be playing clips of the movie anyway! Duran Duran's Wild Boys always seemed like it could've been a prelude to the next Mad Max movie.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home