iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » what 80s song defines you?? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: what 80s song defines you??
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wDDjVPJ73A
this is fo you Logan

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know most people are not a huge fan of 80s song that have been mixed etc but iv found one which i think is an exception.
We all know stripped by Depeche mode and they performed it in Birmingham not long ago and it was fantastic but have a look/listen to it covered by a band called Shiny Toy Guns

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQyb_zV51HM

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Logan,

I had a look at all the soundtracks that Journey appeared on during the 80s -- quite a list. I can only remember seeing Tron as a kid though.

80s Soundtracks

If you look at the 3 tours Journey did in the 80s(never toured again until 2001), they only ever played North America and Japan. No European dates at all.

It's a damn shame about Styx. 'Babe' isn't a bad song, but they did a lot better during their career.

Come Sail Away is a favourite of mine - you can see why they were sometimes compared to Queen.

oneyedwilly,

I have a few Hans Zimmer soundtracks: Frost/ Nixon, Gladiator, The Last Samurai. I'll check out the ones you recommend.

One of my favourite composers ever is, Ennio Morricone. Here's a selection of some of his best 80s work:

The Professional - Chi Mai

The Untouchables - Main Theme

The Untouchables - Four Friends

[ 11. April 2010, 09:01: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huge Journey fan here. I´ll try to collect everything they have done.
Check out their Frontiers and Beyond concert/tour documentary (1983).
One of the best ever made.

-

I also like Styx very much.

My favorite Hans Zimmer score is probably
Black Rain (1989) or Backdraft (1991)
He´s one of the best, there´s no doubt about that.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aTomiK,

Frontiers and Beyond is on youtube, so I've been watching that. Great stuff.

The only Journey DVD I have is the 1981 Escape Tour:

-

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is NOTHING more annoying than a browser crashing when you’ve typed a response. I long for the day someone comes up with something that saves all web-typed text.

Anyway…

quote:
I had a look at all the soundtracks that Journey appeared on during the 80s -- quite a list. I can only remember seeing Tron as a kid though.
Journey were on tons of good soundtracks in the early 80’s. Apparently, ‘Ask the Lonely’ and ‘Only the Young’ were both earmarked for ‘Frontiers’. If the two weakest songs on Frontiers were taken off and replaced with those two it would beat even ‘Escape’.

quote:
u look at the 3 tours Journey did in the 80s(never toured again until 2001), they only ever played North America and Japan. No European dates at all.
You know, I think you’re right. I’m certain I read somewhere that they played Europe around the time of Frontiers, but I can’t recall where.

Regardless, it wouldn’t really have mattered; none of the acts that Journey were lumped in with (‘Asia’, ‘Speedwagon’ / ’Foreigner’ / ‘Styx’) had any critical acclaim at the time. They were universally derided by the British music press. They were viewed as American, middle-aged, middle-of-the-road dinosaurs with no sense of style (I know that Asia were British and Foreigner were a mix, but they were seen as appealing to America). The explosion of MTV made all of them look terribly dated and ugly very quickly. Only Foreigner and Speedwagon made any real impact in the UK charts.

quote:
It's a damn shame about Styx. 'Babe' isn't a bad song, but they did a lot better during their career.
True, but DeYoung’s pomposity was both their making and their breaking.

quote:
Come Sail Away is a favourite of mine - you can see why they were sometimes compared to Queen.
A great song. But I’m still not sold on the ‘Aliens’ bit at the end!

quote:
Huge Journey fan here. I´ll try to collect everything they have done. Check out their Frontiers and Beyond concert/tour documentary (1983). One of the best ever made.
Perry with a ‘tache! One of the first US vids I ever bought (dawn of the web). Remember before the net when everything like that was gold dust?! You just couldn’t see or hear anything without buying it, and even then you had to run the gauntlet of “I’m sorry, that’s been deleted”. The sheer struggle to get hold of anything that was ‘old’. I can remember it took me nearly 5 years to get hold of Adam and the Ants videos to watch (and then, I could only get two taped from TV). How quickly things changed.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by logan5:
Perry with a ‘tache! One of the first US vids I ever bought (dawn of the web). Remember before the net when everything like that was gold dust?! You just couldn’t see or hear anything without buying it, and even then you had to run the gauntlet of “I’m sorry, that’s been deleted”. The sheer struggle to get hold of anything that was ‘old’. I can remember it took me nearly 5 years to get hold of Adam and the Ants videos to watch (and then, I could only get two taped from TV). How quickly things changed.

And when you finally found something, the prize was skyhigh.
I was lucky enough and found the Frontiers & Beyond vhs tape some years ago and it was pretty cheap.

J2ME, that Live in Houston dvd is fantastic stuff!

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Journey's Past Tour Information

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but it suggests that Journey only played a few times in Europe.

In fact according to that they only played the UK(London) once. [Eek!]

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And when you finally found something, the prize was skyhigh.
Yes! A real sense of victory!

quote:
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but it suggests that Journey only played a few times in Europe.

In fact according to that they only played the UK(London) once. [Eek!]

That list looks fairly comprehensive. I'm not sure how many tickets they could've sold in Britain at the time. Thinking about it, I may be remembering an interview or article which stated that they were planning on coming over. Either way, 'Glee' and 'X-Factor' have ruined their UK anonymity.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
why is no one mentioning Def lep? Are there any movies at all with any of their songs??
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the time, I was really into the female singers-Blondie, Pat Benetar and Quarterflash. Can't pick one song either-or ten for that matter! On second thought "Here's My Heart" may be the one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnL75jrSU9k

I had an older friend in the early 80's that was hard core Journey-then/now/forever. My fave song from them is The Party's Over(Hopelessly in Love).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im7ZcIjZk9g

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
I had an older friend in the early 80's that was hard core Journey-then/now/forever. My fave song from them is The Party's Over(Hopelessly in Love).
One of my faves too! It doesn't get the love it deserves.
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of the 80's bands play at a county fair near me. So far I've seen: Eddie Money, Loverboy, Cheap Trick, Weird Al-(not sure if that counts though)and wanted to see Styx-but my husband insisted on Brian Setzer (of Stray Cats)'s band Ignition. It rocked so I can't complain [Smile]
Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oneyedwilly:
i know most people are not a huge fan of 80s song that have been mixed etc but iv found one which i think is an exception.
We all know stripped by Depeche mode and they performed it in Birmingham not long ago and it was fantastic but have a look/listen to it covered by a band called Shiny Toy Guns

ceck out Rammstein's cover of the song...much better IMO...even though I never liked it too much when they sing in english.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggOioZWxH0k

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
absolutely terrible version - worst song ive heard - thats not music im afraid imo...but hey someones gotta like it i guess.
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oneyedwilly:

love this cover, nice to see someone else a fan [Wink]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
oh yeah fantastic.
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and to answer the original question...

"nowhere girl" by B-movie. [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie .. when you mentioned a few years back that the tune was the reason behind your Rewind name it lead me to rediscover the greatness of the B-movie track "Nowhere Girl".
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

cool! and i know how you much you love 'love my way.' i listened to it after reading your post. that song was perfectly placed in valley girl. [Smile]
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love My Way is one awesome tune! My absolute favorite by The Furs.
I had never heard of B-Movie until they were mentioned by Ronnie.
Also love Remembrance Day and Marilyn Dreams...

The song that defines me most would have to be: When Doves Cry by Prince.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
love my way was played in the wedding singer too. great song.
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well..back when I was a younger lad..i'd say the songs that defined me would have been either "18 & Life by Skid Row or "Rocket Queen" by Guns N' Roses...also because those are 2 songs I listened to over and over again religiously. I'm not so sure what song would define me now though.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So many 80's songs I love, it's going to be tough. I'm all for a lot of the songs on the Valley Girl sndtrck. like Plimsouls-Million Miles Away, P-Furs-Love my way and Modern English-Melt with you. Other ones are Joy Division's Isolation, Echo and the Bunnymen's Killing Moon, Men at Work's Overkill, the Cure's Fascination Street.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amaranth
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8882

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for amaranth   Email amaranth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how soon is now by the smiths fantastic song
Posts: 456 | From: Scotland uk | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home