iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Laura Branigan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Laura Branigan
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love her version of "Show Me Heaven".

Some songs that I connect a memory too, are hard to listen to...I just listened to this song, after avoiding it for about 9 years. I still love it.

It is sad that she died so young.

I love her Best Hits album. I always like the song "Spanish Eddie".

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spanish Eddie is an awesome tune. She has many I like....Gloria, Self Control, Solitaire, to name a few. It is a shame that she died so young, 47 years old to be exact from a brain aneurysm.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only one Branigan cd "Self Control" ´84
and i like most of the songs

-

[ 14. July 2012, 02:54: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was saddened when I heard of her untimely passing, Patty Donahue singer of the Waitresses left this world too soon as well.

I have a Laura Branigan greatest hits cd, the self control song and video is my favorite.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i always liked laura branigan too? i didn';t even know she passed away? wow that is sad!! my aunt passed away from the same thing but she was in her 60's !!
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now Branigan's greatest hits CD is the most wanted on my list. Other women may have risen higher in the 80s, but Laura was one of the best pure singers among female vocalists, and you can sense her heart and sould in every composition.

And yes, she could act well as well. Having seen her Automan appearance on YouTube (sure, she is singing for a large portion of it, but the dramatic parts aren't half bad either), I remain fairly convinced she may have had a nice second career if she'd given it a chance.

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for bandit   Author's Homepage   Email bandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow,I did not know this myself [Frown] Whenever i Compile a new CD of all my favorite 80s songs used in my car,"Self Control"Usually make the list every time.
Posts: 362 | From: Third rock from the sun | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just bought and listened another Branigan cd called "Touch" (1987).
Pretty good stuff, especially these three songs:

Laura Branigan - Spirit of Love

Laura Branigan - Over Love

Laura Branigan - Meaning of the Word

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imawalkingcorpse
Master Rewinder
Member # 1675

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for imawalkingcorpse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have been playing Laura Branigan quite a bit on the IHeart radio My 80's App.
Posts: 199 | From: Overland Park | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think self control is about the only one of her tracks I'm familiar with but what a really great track it is,an awesong song!
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huge fan of Laura Branigan's "Self Control" - superb song; honestly, it's the only song of hers I'm really familiar with (and like). I heard this first back in the '80's - however, I had forgotten about the song...until earlier this year when I saw the video for the first time. Excellent. I am now enjoying re-visiting the song after so many years.

The song & video are very interesting, as are the interpretations about the song. However, I don't believe this song is about a "lady of the night" - that's too obvious & simplistic, IMHO.

My interpretation is that it's about someone (specifically a woman, but apparently the first person to record this song was male - so it could be about a guy too) who doesn't like the daytime & lives for the night-time, going out and partying, etc. And, then when the day rolls around, they go about their daily lives - i.e. work, school, etc. However, they don't enjoy their dull daytime lives & look forward to the nights/weekends when they can go out again, enjoy themselves, and be "another person" for a brief time.

I used to do the club scene somewhat in the '90's & remember how clubbing was like entering a different world to some extent...the lights, people, etc. all looked completely different then they did during the day.

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Huge fan of Laura Branigan's "Self Control" - superb song; honestly, it's the only song of hers I'm really familiar with (and like).
You don't remember this one?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdlyEC2wcQQ

My fave - has a much more sedate feeling. I think it might be a 70's one - before she was famous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJMWsv0Pvkk

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The video for Laura Branigan's "Self Control" was directed by William Friedkin, the director of "The Exorcist" and "The French Connection." It references the great Italian horror director Mario Bava's classic "Blood and Black Lace" with the tall figure dressed in black with mask and hat. Branigan was a terrific singer and apparently a really nice person. "How am I Supposed to Live Without You?" co-written by Michael Bolton is just excellent, a beautiful, haunting song sung with a lot of emotion.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good call Logan Gloria was a great track that also featured in the movie Flashdance but strangely did not appear on the soundtrack LP when released!

Never realised Friedkin directed a music video Crash the same as I didn't realise Russell Mulcahy directed the video for Video Killed The Radio Star for The Buggles!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Never realised Friedkin directed a music video Crash the same as I didn't realise Russell Mulcahy directed the video for Video Killed The Radio Star for The Buggles!
Lots of great videos were directed by movie directors at the time; Landis directed Thriller, Scorsese directed Bad, Mulcahy directed Wild Boys / Rio, etc. Good times!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of really fine movie directors have a music video or two in their filmography, for example, Brian DePalma, Spike Jonze, David Fincher, and Antoine Fuqua.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never was a fan of Branigan's "Gloria", though I have heard this numerous times over the years. Not familiar with any of her other songs (other than Self Control) either, but may listen to them at some point...
Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home