iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Tribute Bands

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tribute Bands
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any fans? Who have you seen? Who do you want to see?

I haven't actually been to see anyone live yet, but I have seen footage of quite a few bands:

The Australian Pink Floyd Show

Royal Albert Hall (2008)

-- These guys & girls are amazing. They're playing at Wembley Arena (10,000) in May. That shows you how popular they are.

Dios Salve A La Reina ( God Save The Queen)

Luna Park (Argentina) 2007

-- These guys dress up and mimic Queen superbly. Hopefully they'll come back to the UK soon.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only two I have seen live were a Rush tribute band and a Metallica tribute band. Both were amazing and sounded exactly like the real deal. I can't remember the bands' names though.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have one locally called Dr. Feelgood, a Motley Crue tribute band. Some nights they are "on" and other nights, not so much.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I also forgot the local Iron Maiden tribute band, Powerslave. They are always excellent when I see them, because the singer is even better than Bruce D i c k inson, ha,ha. Sadly he is leaving the band and their are in search of a new lead singer- good luck dudes.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. They do 70s, 80s, 90s, and present covers of different artists..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI0d-kOxb4A (Lionel Ritchie's "Hello")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFGVmKzg-rc (Johnny Cash's "Sunday Morning Coming Down"

There's also a local GnR tribute band called "Appetite for Destruction" who are great live....

1. Lez Zeppelin
2. Blue Floyd
3. AC/DShe

Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

I want to go see Girls, Girls, Girls, the all-girl Motley tribute, in NYC when I get up there in the summer or fall. Has anyone seen them?
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Shiittty Beatles....
They any good??
They suck.. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's always these guys....

Maybe not the best band in the world, they are just a Tribute...

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul,

You guys sound pretty good. If you added a bit of Deep Purple, Blue Öyster Cult or Rainbow to that setlist, I'd come an see you guys. As long as it was in Central London of course. [Razz]

Jack,

How about a bit of 'Limehouse Lizzy'

Limehouse Lizzy (Promo DVD)

They're touring England at the moment. No London shows though. [Frown]

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier
Master Rewinder
Member # 3305

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for annier   Author's Homepage   Email annier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen the Australian Doors and the L.A Doors....Aussie doors were the best.
Posts: 312 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J2ME:
Paul,

You guys sound pretty good. If you added a bit of Deep Purple, Blue Öyster Cult or Rainbow to that setlist, I'd come an see you guys. As long as it was in Central London of course. [Razz]

We are playing at Harlequins Rugby Club next month at one of their dinner events, but we're also looking to get a date at some place near Covent Garden that our front-man knows of - if we get that, I'll let you know!

As for the setlist, we're currently adding London Calling by The Clash, some more Maroon 5, She sells Sanctuary by The Cult, and can always play Smoke On The Water and Since You've Been Gone.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how can there be a tribute band page without mentioning The Machine.

http://www.themachinelive.com/

and i know there used to be a doors tribute band called Crystal Ship. don't know if they're still around. i always remembered them because of a Dead Milkmen song.

and there's a sabbath tribute band that's supposed to be great called Sabbra Cadabra.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

Has anyone seen Get the Led Out? I'm considering going to see them if I hear good reviews. I saw a Led Zep tribute band many years ago- they played a free show at our college campus. The best was the guy who was "Jimmy Page". He looked like Pagey from the 1970's and his guitar work was pretty good!
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Dread Zeppelin were the best LZ Tribute band ever....

DRED ZEP sing Immigrant Song

Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some great Australian tribute bands stretching over the last few decades -

Elton Jack - Elton John
Bjorn Again and BABBA - ABBA
The Beatnix - The Beatles (these guys performed at my high school in 1989, cementing my love for the Beatles)
Thunderstruck - ACDC
KISSteria - KISS
Beyond the Dark Side - Pink Floyd
Achtung Baby - U2
All ****ed Up - Joe ****er
Bryan Jovi - Bon JOvi and Bryan Adams
Frank Bennett - An excellent inpersonator of Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra
Green Date - Green Day
Message in a bottle - Split Enz

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband saw THE MACHINE (PINK FLOYD) on a booze cruise and loved them.

We saw a BLACK SABBATH cover band and a LED ZEPPELIN (I think theyw ere called BLACK DOG)one on a booze cruise. The SABBATH one went on first (the guy looked and dressed just like Ozzy. hahaha) and I was lovin it. By the time the ZEPPELIN band was on I was out on deck looking at the Statue Of Liberty and the skyline so I missed most of their act. What I saw of them was good though.

I saw BJORN AGAIN twice, once with my sisters and once with my husband and another couple. I would definately go see them again because-lets facce it- Im never gonna get to see the real ABBA perform!

I also saw a DEF LEPPARD cover band for my friends bridal shower girls night out. Cant remember what they were called though.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home