iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » 80's songs that are mistaken for other artists. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 80's songs that are mistaken for other artists.
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember hearing Dan Hartman's I can dream about you when it came out and remember saying to myself, man, that's a Hall and Oates song I haven't heard. Do you get artists and songs mixed up with the way they sound?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The beginning of the Def Leppard song "Rock of Ages" is exactly the same as the beginning of The Offspring's "Pretty Fly for a White Guy." It's some sort of German phrase at the first of both of them........
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it went something like Euben, gleeben, glauben, gluben. Offspring had a few songs that had the spanish counting like Uno, tuno, quatro.

Speaking of Def Lep I realised one day that the riff in Hysteria is the exact same riff as Pink Floyd's Goodbye Blue Sky.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the first time I heard Manic Monday by The Bangles, I thought it was Madonna. Of course I was just a kid.

The first time I heard Think of Laura by Christopher Cross, I thought it was a woman singing it.

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
First hearing Kim Carnes I thought she was the female Rod Stewart, sounded like he could have done Betty Davis Eyes.
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dad used to play Rush albums all the time in the house when i was like 5 or 6. I guess that's one of the reasons I'm such a fan now. I remember as a kid thinking man that lady has an awesome voice! Gotta love Geddy Lee though!
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alot of people think the song Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood is Duran Duran.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saturnchick
Master Rewinder
Member # 7524

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for saturnchick   Email saturnchick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The song "Baby Love" by Regina sounds EXACTLY like Madonna. For years, I thought it was a Madonna song! Take a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siUWsDkMGTY

Posts: 339 | From: New York City | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Quarterflash's first hit song "Harden My Heart" came out, I was not aware who had sung it. At the time, my first thought was that it was Pat Benatar's newest hit single! [Smile]
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was listening to Baby Love by REGINA the other day and I thought to myself "Why wasnt this girl a huge hit?" she DID sound just like MADONNA. If memory serves she wasn't the PRETTIEST girl I'd ever seen...and maybe thats why she never became a huge hit. Pity.

I also get REGINA and ALISHA mixed up, because REGINA had Baby Love and ALISHA had Baby Talk (ALISHA fared a little better than REGINA. REGINA had one hit and ALISHA had Baby Talk, Too Turned On and All Night Passion. She also had some Freestyle CDS in the '90s).

I heard a song the other day - Nothings Gonna Stop Me Now . Who sings that? Is it SAMANTHA FOX or BANANARAMA???

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Nothings Gonna Stop Me Now is Samantha Fox. I think her along with the Nananas, Rick Astley even Kylie all had the same production team in the late 80's, Stock, Aitken, Waterman and Howe so similar songs and arrangements. The same with Def Lep and Bryan Adams sharing the same producer.
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy by SAMMY HAGAR always makes me think of RICK SPRINGFIELD for some reason.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Hearing the intro and riff to the Cure's Inbetween days always reminds me of New Order. They had that kind of flange/watery bass sound in a lot of their stuff.
hewzy
Rewind Guru
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for hewzy   Email hewzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought Beauty has her way was by David Bowie.
Posts: 729 | From: Birmingham, England | Registered: Sep 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StevenHW:
When Quarterflash's first hit song "Harden My Heart" came out, I was not aware who had sung it. At the time, my first thought was that it was Pat Benatar's newest hit single! [Smile]

I used to get this mixed up too!
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
The first few times I heard ROBBIE WILLIAMS' Angels I thought it was ELTON JOHN.
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
In the late 80's I got fooled with a few acts thinking it was Led Zep I was hearing:

Kingdom Come-Get it on
Whitesnake-Still of the Night

Kiss's Hard luck woman also made me think I was hearing Rod Stewart.

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:
quote:
"Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy" by SAMMY HAGAR always makes me think of RICK SPRINGFIELD for some reason.
Maybe that's because Rick's hit single "I've Done Everything For You" was written and originally sung by Sammy several years earlier, in the late 70's.
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
When I first heard The Grateful Dead's hit single "A Touch Of Grey" on the radio back in 1987, I thought it was by Tom Petty!

When the DJ announced that it was by The Dead, I was stunned! That's because hardly any radio stations (except for a few album-rock or AOR format stations) play anything by them!

I never would've figured that the ultimate hippie 60's band would score their only Top-20 single in the conservative 1980's! But then, the Grateful Dead was never a conventional band!

Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris Issak does a version of "I Want You to Want Me" that I thought was Roy Orbison the first time I heard it.
Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in the day I always got U2 and Simple Minds mixed up.
Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first time I heard 'Melt with You' I thought it was the Cure.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
When I first heard Ready For The World's hit "Oh Sheila", I thought it was by Prince. [Cool]
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mentioned on another thread; Rockwell 'Somebody's Watching Me' - sounds like MJ.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by logan5:
Mentioned on another thread; Rockwell 'Somebody's Watching Me' - sounds like MJ.

Doesn't MJ do back up vocals for that song though Logan? Rockwell looks like MJ a little?? a little??

I used to get Simple Minds and Simply Red confused back then they both looked similar and the name!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home