iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » OK, I wanna know how you go from this to this? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OK, I wanna know how you go from this to this?
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
This area is known for the worst radio stations ever, with unending play of the same 20 songs by artists like Fleetwood Mac and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

And I thought my local stations were bad!
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, i can listen to Fleetwood Mac and Lynyrd Skynyrd all day, every day ! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can vouch for PGHgirl's comment about bad radio. Things have changed so much since the mid-70s when I was a DJ. Back then, there were a lot of mom-and-pop stations--one that I worked at, a Top 40 AM station, was above a hardware store that the station owner also owned--with so much variety and actual live talent. Today in the Pittsburgh market, for example, I'm pretty sure that almost all of the stations are owned by some huge media conglomerate like Clear Channel Broadcasting. These mindless corporate drones program their stations across the country with the same formats, music, and prerecorded talent. It's all so robotic. I miss the good old days when something really weird like Chuck Mangione's "Feels So Good," an instrumental with a flugelhorn solo, could become a top 10 hit. That will never happen again in the U.S.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think anyone wants to hear the same 20 songs over and over, lol. Crash, I do believe that Clear Channel owns all of the radio stations in Pittsburgh, PA. It's sad, there is no variety anymore. Even WAMO is gone now, which was the urban/dance music station back in the day. My friends used to listen to that, and I used to listen to I think it was WYDD 104.7. They played solid rock, and had rock blocks every weekend, where the DJ would roll a die and that would be the number of songs by an artist that he would play. (For example, 3 Van Halen Songs, followed by 2 Motley Crue songs, followed by 4 Journey songs, etc.). There was a decent radio station out of Johnstown, PA, Rocky 99, that played a variety of rock from the 1970's to the present. Now they are starting to sound more like the Clear Channel stations. They are owned by Forever Broadcasting. My friend worked for their sister station, the country station Froggy. She quit about 6 months ago, and her friend who worked at Rocky quit too. I guess someday I will break down and get Sirius XM.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing wrong with Mac and Skynyrd but i can understand the frustrations Pitts has.
We also have a classic rock station here which has the same playlist all the time.
Thousands of great tunes around and all they play is the same old song... But yeah, it´s basically same with all radio stations nowadays.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coming straight from the - Should I Watch This Thread on first glance there Atomik I thought your post read "Nothing wrong with Mac and Me but i can understand the frustrations" [Big Grin]

I think a lot of these stations just don't mix it up enough and you can more or less predict the days playlist before they've even got started!

[ 03. December 2016, 04:21: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the radio wasteland epidemic is pretty much everywhere sadly. Huge corporations playing the same crap 20 songs like they are spewing out some mind control! Only time I get surprises is when I visit home and these little small towns sometimes seem like they have their own playlists. Anyways, thankful that I built up my record collection where I don't need to depend on radio.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thenodfather
Master Rewinder
Member # 8732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for thenodfather   Email thenodfather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marty Friedman went from Megadeth to J-Pop
Posts: 239 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home