iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Madness views from the other side of the pond

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Madness views from the other side of the pond
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

So my question is in regards to the fame of Madness over in England. I happen to think that they are amazing, but coming by much of their stuff isn't that easy over here.

So when I was in England about 7 years ago, I bought a greatest hits album which is great "Divine Madness".

It has a lot of the things that make Madness great, but my question is, Are there songs I am missing?

And if I have this album, is "One Step Beyond" Worth me buying. I am of course being serious.

My favorite song is baggy trousers, followed closely by Cardiac Arrest, and Night boat to Cairo.

Thoughts?

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as Madness goes, One step beyond is an essential purchase, a solid album with some hilarious moments like the closer Chipmunks are go. It's my most played Madness album. What is the percentage of Divine Madness including the first four albums? Those to me are the best ones from 79-82, but understand that there are some non-lp tracks included. Devo, is there a DVD included as well?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I could say ‘yes’..

But, even though I consider myself a big Madness fan, I never got used to any other songs besides the ones that are on ‘Divine Madness’. That is a very good and complete compilation.

Along with Embarrassment and Shut Up, Baggy Trousers and Night Boat to Cairo are my favorites as well.

This is a band I still HAVE to see live.

[ 11. August 2008, 00:11: Message edited by: TKO ]

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They had a bunch of good album tracks, but 'Divine Madness' is comprehensive as far as singles go.

If you really like them you could try picking up the albums one at time, but you won't find much there that's better than the singles they released.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been contemplating the purchase of a Madness cd and wasn't sure which route to go...this has been helpful. I think I'll start with Divine Madness and go from there.

Fav songs:
It Must Be Love
My Girl
Blank Expression is my #1

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S. A little trivia...The idea to name No Doubt's 2001 album, Rock Steady, came from the intro/speaking part of Madness's song, "One Step Beyond."
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Cindy, Blank Expression is the Specials.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Devolution:
Devolution here,

Cindy, Blank Expression is the Specials.

We are DEVO

WHAT??!?!?! That's not what you told me when you sent it to me last year....Oh boy...I feel like freakin' clown shoes now...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home