iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « Karate Kid » Macchio TV sitcom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Macchio TV sitcom
GeeFunk
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 202

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for GeeFunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TV vet readies 'Ralph' for Fox

JOSEF ADALIAN/Variety 10/13/04

Helmer-producer-scribe Todd Holland has inked a two-year, seven-figure production and development deal with 20th Century Fox-- and he's not wasting any time getting to work.

Three-time Emmy winner Holland ("Malcolm in the Middle," "The Larry Sanders Show") is teaming up with Ralph Macchio ("The Karate Kid," "My Cousin Vinny") to co-create a hybrid single camera-multicamera laffer for Fox Broadcasting tentatively dubbed "The Ralph Show."

"It's the ultimate bastard child of 'Everybody Loves Raymond' and 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' with a little 'Larry Sanders' thrown in," Holland told Daily Variety. Matt Ember ("Grace Under Fire") is in talks to come on board as a co-creator and possible showrunner of the skein; Holland would direct.

Project will be one of Holland's first priorities under his new deal, which calls for him to direct, write, develop and produce programming for 20th via his WalkingBud shingle. Holland has previously had deals with Regency TV and, most recently, a joint deal with Regency and 20th; new pact reps the first time he's been exclusive to 20th.

Holland said 20th's support during the filming of critical fave "Wonderfalls" cemented his desire to be in business with the studio.

"They're courageous in development and courageous in production," Holland said. "I was there in the trenches with them on 'Wonderfalls,' asking for a little more money or more time, and they always stepped up to the plate in order to make a better program. They're the HBO of free TV."

Gary Newman, prexy of 20th, said Holland has "proven himself in every form of filmed entertainment."

'Malcolm' roots

As for "The Ralph Show," Holland and Macchio first met up after Macchio's short film "Love Thy Brother" premiered at Sundance in 2002. Not long thereafter, Macchio ended up spending a week on location with Holland to observe him directing a seg of "Malcolm in the Middle."

"He sat there for all six days on a shoot in the desert, and he was a total trooper," Holland said. "We were having a drink after, and he started telling me all these stories about his life, and I kept saying, 'That's funny' and 'That's funny.' "

Holland and Macchio have been working on the idea on and off for two years now, and recently put it all together into a project.

Mostly Macchio

"The Ralph Show" will be completely scripted but will feature Macchio playing himself -- i.e., a 42-year-old married father of two living a middle-class existence in Long Island. Macchio's experiences with what Holland calls the "humorous and vaguely humiliating aspect of celebrity" will also be a focus of the skein.

"I'll be playing myself, in my life, and that will be juxtaposed with my working on a fledgling (fake) sitcom," said Macchio, who describes himself as "the everyday dad you can still rent at Blockbuster."

Holland said for Macchio, that sometimes means civilians confusing him with other actors or calling out "Hey, Chachi!" when he's getting the morning paper.

Endeavor-repped Holland said the skein will "manipulate the half-hour form" by featuring some segments shot as a traditional four-camera laffer (think "Raymond") and others shot with a more verite feel (think "Arrested Development"). Despite the show-within-a-show element, skein will not be a behind-the-scenes look at showbiz but instead will focus mostly on Macchio's family life.

Macchio, repped by Untitled Entertainment, said Holland's visual expertise will be key in making the show work.

In addition to "The Ralph Show," Holland recently snagged a pilot commitment from NBC for "Five Houses," an hour he's developing with John Riggi.

Read the full article at:
http://www.variety.com/story.asp?l=story&a=VR1117911902&c=14

Posts: 12 | From: Santa Monica, CA USA | Registered: Apr 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larry B. Scott
Master Rewinder
Member # 2508

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Larry B. Scott   Email Larry B. Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great News! I saw that in Variety too. Sounds like a big time producer, should be fun. It's great that he is getting high profile work.

Congrats to Macchio!

Posts: 147 | From: New York City | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home