iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « Karate Kid » ESPN writer is one of us...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ESPN writer is one of us...
Larry B. Scott
Master Rewinder
Member # 2508

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Larry B. Scott   Email Larry B. Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you that are not big sports fans, Bill Simmons is a major writer for ESPN. He constantly mentions the Karate Kid in his articles, and he did it again today....
ESPN article

This guy is great.

Posts: 147 | From: New York City | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claude Willis
Master Rewinder
Member # 2489

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Claude Willis   Author's Homepage   Email Claude Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That link was AWESOME! I loved that he uses examples from all 3 KK films, and that he mentions so much obcure stuff, that I happen to be a fan of. Especially the "Montreal Screw Job" and Bret the hitman Hart, may fave wrestler of all time!! Although, I would've given that a 9.9 Thanks for posting that!! [Karate Kid] [Karate Kid] [Karate Kid] [Big Grin]
Posts: 180 | From: Marathon, NY | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larry B. Scott
Master Rewinder
Member # 2508

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Larry B. Scott   Email Larry B. Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you liked it. You're right, he mentions really obscure stuff. He wrote this other great article called The Holy Trilogy of The Karate Kid
Which is just the best piece of journalism ever written on the karate kid. It pokes fun at times(especially at KK3) but you have to laugh, because most of what he says is true.

Extremely funny stuff.

Posts: 147 | From: New York City | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claude Willis
Master Rewinder
Member # 2489

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Claude Willis   Author's Homepage   Email Claude Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks bro, I came across that article a while ago, but I don't think I ever read it. I did get some cool pics though. But I just actually READ it, and it's great, but KK2 is my FAVE of ALL of the moives. So, I was a little sensitive there. LOL KK3 could've, and should've been better, but what can you do? I have always noticed, and wondered why Macchio's *** is suddenly huge especially in the scene where he goes into the real estate office. I guess I'm sounding a little strange now huh...oh well. In conclusion, Bill Simmons is funny. [Karate Kid] [Karate Kid]
Posts: 180 | From: Marathon, NY | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SOADfan
Rewind Curious
Member # 3083

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for SOADfan   Email SOADfan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey larry,

Nice to meet a fellow sports guy fan! ive been reading SG religiously since 2001. i love his mailbags the best. i swear sometimes i think SG is reading my mind when he talks about all these movies i love too. everyone needs to check him out!

Posts: 1 | From: AZ | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larry B. Scott
Master Rewinder
Member # 2508

Member Rated:
I'm glad that you guys are fans too. The mailbags are pretty great. I'm just amazed at how consistently funny he is. I can't get through a column without cracking up 4 or 5 times(most of the time against my will, like when he rags on KKIII).

The great part about Bill Simmons is that he is a Karate Kid nerd that puts himself out there. Sure, some of it is for comedic value. But the depth and details that he brings out are only known by serious fans. There must be alot of people in his world, that say "The Karate Kid? What's wrong with you?" I'm sure most of you have heard that before if you're on this board. But Bill Simmons is exposing his Karate Kid nerd behavior on a huge platform. Which you have to respect.

Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great Larry! I always read page 2 at ESPN.com, and he has made numerous mentions about the KK movies.

A few years back they had a poll for the best sports films ever. He got angry cuz KK wasn't one of them! He ended up writing an article about why KK is one of THE greatest sports films of all time!

Funny guy!

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home