iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « Karate Kid » Add you KK location knowledge here

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Add you KK location knowledge here
Claude Willis
Master Rewinder
Member # 2489

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Claude Willis   Author's Homepage   Email Claude Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard somewhere (possibly on this board) that "A Nightmare On Elm Street 2" was also filmed at the former Hughes Junior High. Naturally, I had to check it out. Luckily, my girlfriend is a HUGE Freddy Kreuger fan. She has the "Elm Street" Boxed Set. So, I whipped out the second movie, and sure enough, it appears that it IS the same school in KK. It almost feels "tainted" in a way to see different scenes being played out on the "hallowed KK grounds". But it's cool because it provides a look at some angles that aren't seen in KK. Also, there is a scene where the main character is running laps in the gym. I tried to examine that gym, and the KK Halloween dance gym to see if they were the same, I can't quite tell. Does anyone know, if it is, it is a good way to see the gym without all the Halloween stuff. It seems pretty small in "Elm Street" so, I dunno. SO can anyone confirm / deny that, or add ANY other locations from KK used in other movies besides Carillo State Beach (The Craft, She's All That)?
Posts: 180 | From: Marathon, NY | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larry B. Scott
Master Rewinder
Member # 2508

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Larry B. Scott   Email Larry B. Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to take a look at Nightmare 2 to be sure, but I can say that I was at the school last week. One of the people from the front office said that they have shoots there all of the time. They said that a recent high-school teen TV show shot there almost weekly, but they didn't have the name.

Also of note, a groundskeeper let me onto the soccer field and told me that they recently had plans to re-open the school as a high school but the plans fell through.

The gymnasium is now locked up and used for storage. They wouldn't let me in to check it out, and told me that it was a waste of time, because it's completely full of stuff.

Posts: 147 | From: New York City | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claude Willis
Master Rewinder
Member # 2489

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Claude Willis   Author's Homepage   Email Claude Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow "Larry" that is awesome. I want to go to these places SO bad. Why did they have to shoot in Cali? Oh well if you are from NYC,and you went, I shouldn't let the distance stop me either. I have this scenario in my head where, if someone had a good cash flow, and/ or a large group representing this site went to the school, and bribed their way into the gym, maybe they would go for it. If they knew that we just wanted a decent look around in there, even if it meant clearing out the boxes, and putting them back ourselves, that we would go away, and stop bothering them once we got some good shots of the gym, and bathroom etc. Maybe it could happen? There's gotta be a way to get in that damn gym! LOL. I think the same for Apt. 20 at the South Seas. I think if you could bribe the people who live there with enough cash, they would let someone in to take a few pics. I dunno though, maybe it's wishful thinking. Maybe I'm the only one who's "dying" to see the interiors of the gym, and Apt. 20? I hope not. [Karate Kid] [Big Grin] [Karate Kid]
Posts: 180 | From: Marathon, NY | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OscarV
Rewind Curious
Member # 2729

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for OscarV   Email OscarV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One note, i was just recently at golf and stuff and noticed they replaced the spinning golf and stuff sign with a new digital one. Wonder what they did with the old one?
Posts: 5 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I finally took the tour last summer and it was a trip. As Larry said, the gym was a disappointment, stacked to the rafters with boxes. Was hoping to check out the john and "the stall" that Daniel hosed Johnny in. That school is a pain to get into for a non-high school. Even the damn soccer field is fenced off!! I had to go three times before a day the place was in operation. I finally got in and the courtyard was awesome. To be walking where Daniel and Ali walked...too cool. They also shot Summer School there, another fave or mine. And to think I was at the Nightmare 2 school and didn't know it!

The apartments are a dump. The field where Daniel is chased had 10 foot high weeds now. Nobody could run through it now. And the people in the area...."characters" is a nice way of putting it.

The HUGE thrill was the gym at Cal State Northridge. Of course, I had to do "the kick" right where Macchio did it. Then finding out that the "parking lot" in KK2 where Miyagi and Kreese square off is actually the entrance to the gym. They apparently knocked the planters and trees out and passed it off as a parking lot.

Still haven't been to Golf N Stuff or the Beach.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larry B. Scott
Master Rewinder
Member # 2508

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Larry B. Scott   Email Larry B. Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The field must have been mowed down, because I was there recently and you can definitely run through it.

And you have to go to the beach McFly. It's great.

Posts: 147 | From: New York City | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claude Willis
Master Rewinder
Member # 2489

Member Rated:
Wow, It's great that you guys have actually gotten out there to do it. I am SO jealous everytime I read the stories of the trips that others have taken. Man, as soon as I can get the cash together, I'm definitely gonna head out there. It sucks living so far away though. I'm also gonna be sure to do the "Back To The Future" tour as well. Might as well "kill 2 birds with one stone". It would be great to get up to Astoria, Oregon to check out the locations from "The Goonies" too! That's probably the "Holy Trinity" of movies for me. Even though my fave single film is "Fast Times At Ridgemont High", I think the other 3 have such a huge combined impact on me. I'd love to see those locations someday too. But anyway, sorry to ramble. I hope more people post stories, and / or talk about the other KK locations too. Rock on everyone!! [Karate Kid] [Karate Kid] [Karate Kid]
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, Lar? I'm going again this summer for 20th anniv. pics, so I look forward to a better kept Miyagi's Rescue Place, heh heh.

Claude, the BTTF tour...I can't describe it, man. Above all, GO TO THE MALL AT NIGHT. It is the trippiest experience. I shot a documentary out there on the BTTF locations, and went out at 1:15 am. You feel like you're in the movie, and there's no other better feeling. Looking over the lot from the top of that little hill, amazing. Fortunately all the locations (except part 3s) are all about an hour from each other, you should be able to hit them all. Just don't go to the mall on a Friday or Saturday. Damn drunks from TGI Fridays won't leave you alone, heh heh.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home