iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « Karate Kid » Cobra Kai at the All Valley Tournament

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cobra Kai at the All Valley Tournament
TMBGeorge
Rewind Curious
Member # 2173

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for TMBGeorge   Author's Homepage   Email TMBGeorge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A question was asked a while ago on this board if Daniel defeats everyone in the Cobra Kai "gang" at the tournament. The Cobra Kai matches shown in the movie go as follows:

-Daniel LaRusso defeats Frank Robertson (African American Cobra Kai member who Bobby spars with at Kreese's dojo earlier in the film. He's called "Robertson" at that point. And all the Cobra Kai have their name on a patch on their Gi fronts during the tournament. And his says "Frank").

-Darryl Vidal defeats the Cobra played by Andrew Shue.

-Daniel LaRusso defeats Jimmy (Jimmy is shown from the back and can only be seen after Daniel kicks him. Hard to tell even then but in every scene the Cobra "gang" are either standing or sitting with each other. And during that match, Jimmy is not with them.)

-Darryl Vidal defeats a large asian Cobra Kai. (I nick-named this guy "Chunk")

-Daniel defeats Tommy.

-Daniel defeats Dutch.

-Daniel wins via DQ against Bobby

-Daniel wins tournament over Johnny.

Two little nitpicks I noticed when reviewing the DVD for this info. First, when Bobby and Frank square off at the dojo. Frank is a green belt. In most martial arts disciplines, brown and black are the two highest belts. The tournament official tells Miyagi at the sign in, that this tournament is for brown belt and above. SO unless Frank got to brown belt by the tournament, he shouldn't even be in it.

Finally... On the finalist board at the tournament. All the quarter-finalists have name cards with their last names. And of course, for Dutch it says "Dutch". But all the Cobra's have their first names on the patch on the front of their Gi's. Yet on Dutch's Gi, it still says Dutch.

This is what happens when a blizzard snows you in for 2 days. hehe.

-G

Posts: 3 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heroine
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1702

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Heroine   Email Heroine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew Shue ?

A silly question maybe, but that wouldn't be Elisabeth Shue's brother, would it ?

Posts: 21 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info! I've seen that movie so many times and yet there are still so many things that I haven't noticed. [Smile]
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin S.
Rewinder
Member # 1555

- posted      Profile for Kevin S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always wondered what would have happened had Bobby beat Daniel in a fair fight. Then it would have been a Cobra Kai vs. Cobra Kai championship match with Bobby vs. Johnny.

hmmmm....

Posts: 50 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kreese didn't want that to happen. He wanted Johnny to get Danny's butt. That's why he made Bobby hurt him and get disqualafied.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claude Willis
Master Rewinder
Member # 2489

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Claude Willis   Author's Homepage   Email Claude Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW, THAT'S AWESOME, LIKE "ALI WITH AN I", I ALSO HAVE SEEN IT A TON OF TIMES, BUT FAILED TO NOTICE THAT STUFF. I ALSO HAVE WONDERED ABOUT THE PROSPECT OF A "COBRA VS. COBRA" FINAL. SAY BOBBY HAD REFUSED TO HURT DANIEL, BUT OBVIOUSLY THIS IS A MOOT ARGUMENT IN THAT IT WASN'T IN THE SCRIPT FOR THAT TO HAPPEN, AND IT MAKES NO SENSE TO CONTEMPLATE WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED BECAUSE IT WAS NEVER DESIGNED TO HAPPEN, THE MOVIE WOULDN'T WORK WITH IT. BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT ANY LESS FUN TO DO [Wink] THIS ISN'T NEW INFO, BUT DURING THE SCENE WHERE DANIEL'S RIBS ARE BEING TAPED, AND ALI SAYS HE HAS TO MOVE AND GO REGISTER, BECAUSE THEY ARE STARTING, I USED TO WONDER WHY THEY APPEARED TO BE MOVING, BUT THEN I REALIZED THAT THE BLEACHERS BEHIND THEM WERE BEING MOVED...DUH LOL!! SOMETIMES I STILL FALL FOR IT, WHEN I WATCH IT.
Posts: 180 | From: Marathon, NY | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kickboxer
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1998

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for kickboxer   Email kickboxer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya some stuff on there dont make sense to me. Like everything you all pointed out.

One thing that kinda stands out to me:

When daniel gets his as$ handed to him by Johnny on the beach and he is laying there. The guys he went there with automatically didnt like him cause he got beat up. "you sure pick cool people to make frineds with, where'd you find this guy?"

haha all I can say is harsh, you think they would of helped him up, but no. The kid gets his *** kick by a black belt and they think he is a loser, lave the kid in pain on the beach!

Oh one more thing. Its funny how its his b-day he is supposed to go see his mom for her so called "surprise cake"

Well as soon as he sw that car, he obviousy forgot, so he can go show off his wheels at the arcade so he can mach his lady LOL..

ditches his mama..

anyways please reply to this!!

peace

- Rob - [Smile]

Posts: 89 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claude Willis
Master Rewinder
Member # 2489

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Claude Willis   Author's Homepage   Email Claude Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, I'll reply, cuz nothing sucks worse than when you ask for a reply and you don't get squat, I know [Wink] . Anyhoo, I've always wondered about that part where Daniel is supposed to go have a party with his mom too. I guess, it's a "deleted scene", or was written but not filmed, but ultimately cut out in some way so the movie could be moved along a little faster. I also wonder about exactly how Ali knows the dude who pulls up in the white car after their first date at golf-n-stuff. I guess he was just a neccessary plot device to further illustrate Daniel's feelings of financial inadequacy. Wow maybe I over-analyzed that LOL. But you bet the idea. [Karate Kid]
Posts: 180 | From: Marathon, NY | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home