iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « Karate Kid » New Karate Kid remake... For real 2009!!! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New Karate Kid remake... For real 2009!!!
SooBahkDoKid
Rewind Curious
Member # 3904

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for SooBahkDoKid   Email SooBahkDoKid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first heard about this film I was a bit excited to have new Karate Kid content in any form. I do think that Will Smith's son is a bit young for the role. I was pleased to hear that Jackie Chan will be playing Mr Miyagi. Although I do agree that Pat Morita is irriplaceable, but if you watch The Forbidden Kingdom you can see a bit of Jackie teaching a teenage boy martial arts.

The Karate Kid is my favourite movie of all time, so I am a bit cautious about a remake, but I am curious to see what they do with it.

The movie has been retitled, from what I've heard, to the Kung Fu Kid. It sounds like Will Smith has alot of respect for the original film. It's too bad that Pat Morita is no longer with us to make a cameo, but I hope that Ralph Macchio or the Cobra Kai sensei (or hey, even Hillary Swank) can make cameos in the film.

Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for bandit   Author's Homepage   Email bandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wicky 2 nd Dan:
It is great to hear that the wiews of us here is shared by Ralph Macchio.
Im sure you would have heard similar from Pat Morita,rip,if he had been able to comment this.But I guess Ralph is more than capable of speaking for them both.
I just hope with all my heart that Hollywood is gonna listen to him in the matter of leaving certain movies alone,rather than remake them.
And hes right,Jackie Chan will get a tough job at filling Pat Moritas role as Mr Miyagi.Even he wonderd about the romantic scenes.
I guess we just have to wait and see where that happens.
To Smith and co,grow an imagination of your own,and stop clowning about with true masterpieces,you dont have what it takes to measure up to it.

Nice to see a fellow Norwegian here Dan.I agree with your posts.I would like to see hollywood treat those classics with a lot more respect.Everything is possible if they wanted to.Here they had a real chance to get TWO generations running to the cinema.But they rather look back at those blockbusters and think for them self:It did make a heck of a lot money back then,let`s just rewrite the thing to fit the present kids,put in some awesome effects,keep the title and go for some easy bucks.At least,thats my impression of this tragedy.
Money rules [Frown]

[ 24. January 2009, 18:36: Message edited by: bandit ]

Posts: 362 | From: Third rock from the sun | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wicky 2 nd Dan
Rewinder
Member # 7643

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Wicky 2 nd Dan   Email Wicky 2 nd Dan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If theyre gonna teach the kid to do kung fu,then the title should be The KUNG FU kid.
Im worried for Hollywoods future if they cant start to think new soon.
and another thing,if they continue to get away with it,there is just a matter of time before another great movie is destroyed.
I just hope they stop before it goes that far,cause the tought is getting scary if you ask me.

Posts: 38 | From: Norway | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wicky 2 nd Dan
Rewinder
Member # 7643

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Wicky 2 nd Dan   Email Wicky 2 nd Dan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SooBahkDoKid:
When I first heard about this film I was a bit excited to have new Karate Kid content in any form. I do think that Will Smith's son is a bit young for the role. I was pleased to hear that Jackie Chan will be playing Mr Miyagi. Although I do agree that Pat Morita is irriplaceable, but if you watch The Forbidden Kingdom you can see a bit of Jackie teaching a teenage boy martial arts.

The Karate Kid is my favourite movie of all time, so I am a bit cautious about a remake, but I am curious to see what they do with it.

The movie has been retitled, from what I've heard, to the Kung Fu Kid. It sounds like Will Smith has alot of respect for the original film. It's too bad that Pat Morita is no longer with us to make a cameo, but I hope that Ralph Macchio or the Cobra Kai sensei (or hey, even Hillary Swank) can make cameos in the film.

Yeah,its the best martial art movie of its time.I know that instructors from other martial arts than karate is even using this movie in their training.Wich is one of the best tributes to Ralph and Pat that you could ever make.

still..I cant help but share Ralphs wiews on this.I absolutely will fall in behind him on the matter that they should leave this film alone.But good decission on smiths side to change the name tough,I guess he heard that alot of people was upset and angry about the socalled remake of this epic movie that insired generations in the 80s to pick up on martial arts,but also inspire young people to start martial art today.
I,as an instructor myself,find that to be one of the most amazing things about this movie,the way it keeps inspiring after all these years,and most importantly,the wisdom wich Miyagi-san teaches Daniel-san is growing trough young students that puts their foots in a dojo for the first time ever today.

For these reasons,The Karate Kid has a very special place in my heart,and naturally,I feel its an offence towards Ralph and Pat to have anyone try to remake this movie,simply because it cannot be made better,they made sure it couldnt.

So a namechange is good news.

I would love to see Ralph make a cameo in this,but Hillary Swank???
I think out of the four,that is the only one of them Ive seen only once.I did not think she was good in the role at all.
But then again,I guess I just happen to be one of those that can only have one karate kid.
Sorry Hillary,but Ralph was first in this game,and that is what he should have been in no 4.

Make a Karate kid 5,please,with Ralph in the role as Daniel,grown up and teach a student on his own,after Miyagi-san is gone.That would be a movie Id like to see,just to see how much Daniel understood of what he was tought.Anyone else want this movie made??

Posts: 38 | From: Norway | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
that_guy
Rewind Curious
Member # 6541

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for that_guy   Email that_guy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh I totally do Wicky.

Actually, last night, I even dreamt up an entire rough sketch of the plot lines. Though, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do the originals justice.

Anyway, I'll make another thread for that since this is about the remake, not our own ideas.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wicky 2 nd Dan
Rewinder
Member # 7643

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by bandit:
quote:
Originally posted by Wicky 2 nd Dan:
It is great to hear that the wiews of us here is shared by Ralph Macchio.
Im sure you would have heard similar from Pat Morita,rip,if he had been able to comment this.But I guess Ralph is more than capable of speaking for them both.
I just hope with all my heart that Hollywood is gonna listen to him in the matter of leaving certain movies alone,rather than remake them.
And hes right,Jackie Chan will get a tough job at filling Pat Moritas role as Mr Miyagi.Even he wonderd about the romantic scenes.
I guess we just have to wait and see where that happens.
To Smith and co,grow an imagination of your own,and stop clowning about with true masterpieces,you dont have what it takes to measure up to it.

Nice to see a fellow Norwegian here Dan.I agree with your posts.I would like to see hollywood treat those classics with a lot more respect.Everything is possible if they wanted to.Here they had a real chance to get TWO generations running to the cinema.But they rather look back at those blockbusters and think for them self:It did make a heck of a lot money back then,let`s just rewrite the thing to fit the present kids,put in some awesome effects,keep the title and go for some easy bucks.At least,thats my impression of this tragedy.
Money rules [Frown]

Its great to see Im not the only one from Norway here.I joined because I love these movies,I watch them at least once a month and they keep learning me something I missed everytime.
It is with a sad heart I see what Hollywood is doing.What I cant understand is why Hollywood cant follow a different direction than remaking what has already been made.Ralph is only 47,he still looks young,definately young enough to play Daniel LaRusso in his late 20s or early 30s.I dont think Im the only one that would have loved to see him in the role as daniel LaRusso as an adult.They could make the story on what happens after Miyagis death too,and let the world see what Daniel choses to do,if he teaches his Senseis karate to someone,and keeps the legacy Mr Miyagi left him growing,or if it ends with him.Infact,that storyline would be far more appealing than what Mr Smith and Swartz are up to.
But the word disaster rings in my ears everytime I hear of this remake or whatever one chooses to call it.It makes me mad and sad at the same time.
But you are right Bandit,the money rules...sadly for us...

Wicky 2 nd Dan
Rewinder
Member # 7643

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by that_guy:
oh I totally do Wicky.

Actually, last night, I even dreamt up an entire rough sketch of the plot lines. Though, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do the originals justice.

Anyway, I'll make another thread for that since this is about the remake, not our own ideas.

GREAT IDEA MAN!!
Lets come up with ideas for a storyline for a Karate kid no 5,off course starring Ralph Macchio in the role as Daniel LaRusso again.I hope he will love such an idea as much as the rest.If I was him,I would not pass on a chance to play that charracter again.
So do please start the thread,and lets all come with some great storylines for a KK5,I know I got several ideas.they might even have to make a 6,7 and 8 if I had it my way.

Kinick
Rewinder
Member # 6245

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kinick   Author's Homepage   Email Kinick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're changing the name? Now called The Kung Fu Kid...seems more appropriate:

http://www.3news.co.nz/News/EntertainmentNews/Jackie-Chan-Karate-Kid-remake-to-be-called-The-Kung-Fu-Kid/tabid/418/articleID/97204/cat/56/Default.aspx

Posts: 40 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deeconfrost
Rewind Curious
Member # 7888

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for deeconfrost   Email deeconfrost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is going to be a disaster,the original is unbeatable,and nothing will come close.i soo loved the karate kid film,it was great.
Posts: 2 | From: england | Registered: Apr 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deeconfrost
Rewind Curious
Member # 7888

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for deeconfrost   Email deeconfrost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im so wrapped up in the original film id sooo love to visit the area or film places where it was shot.
Posts: 2 | From: england | Registered: Apr 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was never a fan of The Karate Kid (please don't misapprehend me here, I don't execrate it or have anything against it at all), but when I read this, then I can't help but think: for cripe's sake, when are they ever going to learn that if it ain't broke, then you don't fix it, for crying out loud!
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home