iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Skatetown U.S.A.??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Skatetown U.S.A.??
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone seen this movie? I've heard it's pretty good for a bad disco movie...lol. However, it's impossible to find! I've checked everywhere. Help [Confused] !
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ebay has bootleg copies on VHS and DVD. They can be quite pricey though. It's the same problem with 'Almost Summer'; plenty of bootlegs but no genuine versions around.

I'm hoping for decent official DVD issues.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBrayFan
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3831

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JimBrayFan   Author's Homepage   Email JimBrayFan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a bootleg off of ioffer and was hoping it was going to be good after hearing about it so much. It's about a new teen who tries to win a roller disco contest out from under a rival gang. On the way he falls in love and hillarity ensues with amazingly bad dialogue. The skating is phenomenal. Patrick Swayze really knew his stuff back then. Just the idea of Marcia Brady hooking up with Arnold Horshack (or their respective actors, of course) kind of blew my mind. Not a bad movie. The soundtrack was good. I don't see how people thought Skatetown was better than "Roller Boogie" but that's just me, lol.

And if they can release RB on DVD, I'm hoping to buy a legit "Skatetown USA" copy eventually.

Posts: 90 | From: Long Island | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ERIC 31
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1793

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ERIC 31   Author's Homepage   Email ERIC 31   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skatetown USA I got to see in the theater when it was released. I loved it. Didn't care about the lame plot or acting. It had much better disco skating than Roller Boogie although I love that one too.

Columbia Pictures is sitting on this one for some reason. It has NEVER been officially released on VHS or DVD ever. It ran on Showtime for a few months in 1982. Here is a place you can get a DVD-R of it for like $25. www.revengeismydestiny.com
Here's what they had to say about it:
 -

SKATETOWN USA (79) Campy disco era time capsule about rival roller skate dance teams with a cast lineup that looks like one of those “Battle of the Network Stars” competitions: Scott Baio, Maureen McCormick, Patrick Swayze, Ruth Buzzi, Flip Wilson, Mark Hamill, and Billy Barty to name just a few. Add to that a soundtrack that includes Dave Mason, The Jacksons, Heatwave, Patrick Hernandez, Marilyn McCoo, and Earth Wind and Fire and, depending on your point of view, you’ve either got a Solid Gold hit or Hell on Wheels!

I'm still waiting for an official release in stereo with extras (fat chance)

[ 22. March 2005, 10:37: Message edited by: ERIC 31 ]

Posts: 87 | From: NOR CAL | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBrayFan
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3831

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JimBrayFan   Author's Homepage   Email JimBrayFan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey if MGM can release Roller Boogie on DVD--something I had prayed would come out--Columbia can release Skatetown, USA.(One can hope!!!)

If they were smart, they would have a DVD release out in time to coincide with the release of the new movie "Roll Bounce" which is sort of similar, plot lines wise.

Posts: 90 | From: Long Island | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ERIC 31
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1793

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ERIC 31   Author's Homepage   Email ERIC 31   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so stoked!! ROLL BOUNCE is going to be awesome! I was always hoping that someone would do another roller disco movie and here it is. SWEET!!!!

check it out!!
http://www.foxsearchlight.com/rollbounce/

[ 25. March 2005, 08:42: Message edited by: ERIC 31 ]

Posts: 87 | From: NOR CAL | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBrayFan
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3831

Rate Member
I am really looking forward to ROLL BOUNCE as well. Love that old school rexing.
ERIC 31
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1793

Rate Member
Getting closer to ROLL BOUNCE opening. Can't wait. I'm also stoked for the LORDS OF DOGTOWN movie. Two movies set in the late 70's. I'll see 'em both back to back!!
JimBrayFan
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3831

Rate Member
That's that skate boarding movie, right? Count me in!
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw DVD copies of Skatetown USA on Ebay, it said the picture quality was a 7.5 out of 10.
JimBrayFan, is that about the same quality you got??

I am dying to see it, but it is $14.99 plus $5 shipping, and I figure if it isn't good quality, about the time I buy it a good copy will come along.

Maybe with the release of the Roller Bounce movie-which they say is in September-so that is still a ways to go yet...maybe it will get the Rollerskating thing going again.

I loved to skate. We skated every where as kids.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeep man
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 2656

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Jeep man   Email Jeep man   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I have found alot of these older movies in pawn shops or video rental store's. Most are on VHS though. I don't have a problem with that though; most of the movies that I have are in that format. Yeah, I know the picture and sound quality are not as good as DVD, but alot of the movies have not come to DVD yet.
Posts: 28 | From: Seattle, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBrayFan
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3831

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
[QB] I saw DVD copies of Skatetown USA on Ebay, it said the picture quality was a 7.5 out of 10.
JimBrayFan, is that about the same quality you got??

I am dying to see it, but it is $14.99 plus $5 shipping, and I figure if it isn't good quality, about the time I buy it a good copy will come along.

Mine was about that degree of picture quality when I got it. If you can live without seeing Skatetown, I'd say to wait.
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally saw this, but was let down by the film quality. It was fun and all seeing Baio and Swayze being so young in this though. I've been getting a lot of 70's movies of late but having quality issues.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally saw it too, and I thought it was really stupid in places. I liked looking at everyone, but the movie was very lame.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll stick with Linda Blair and the legend Jim Bray in "Roller Boogie"!
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I love Roller Boogie. I haven't seen it in awhile. I love the song "Hell on Wheels" by Cher. I love their clothes and I love Linda Blair's car. I thought she was a really good skater.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home