iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Favorite 80's Movies To Watch Late At Night..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favorite 80's Movies To Watch Late At Night..
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are your favorite 80's movies to pop into the DVD player late at night? Do you go for Horror, Romance, Comedy, or Action?

I like to mix it up between Modern Girls, Night of the Comet, RAD, Private School, Valley Girl, The Heavenly Kid, Night of the Creeps, & Tuff Turf.

What 80's movie calls your name late at night?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summer School, Back to School, Night of the Comet, Beverly Hills Cop, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, any of the John Hughes 80's movies.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't necessarily say these are my favorites to watch late at night. But here's the last few I've watched...

Can't Buy me Love, Mannaquin, Short Circuit, Staying Alive, Dolls, Motel Hell, Child's Play, Rocky 1 & 2, Teen Witch, Ski Patrol, One Crazy Summer, Down and out in Beverly Hills, Starman

[ 28. August 2010, 19:28: Message edited by: Pyromantic ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
................... Less Than Zero ................... and .................... Streets of Fire ....................
 -  -

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Admirer your posters and text is freaking lined up perfectly.........geeze was that planned? haha looks like a Double Feature Marquee!

I watch all kinds of movies at night.....they are my "fall asleep too" movies. I tend to save horror movies til night only because the glare in the daytime drives me crazy!

hmmmmm??? dramas call my name at night too....good time to chill and watch a drama.........Teen Witch is actually one I always tend to watch at night? funny huh?

-

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeb Speedwagon
Rewinder
Member # 3713

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Zeb Speedwagon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In general I would say that I choose more from how "nighty" the movies are rather than by genre. I would for example never watch fright night at 1 p.m. That might be an obvious example but I prefer movies like The 'burbs, E.T, The lost Boys, My stepmother is an alien at night because the founding (if thats the right word) parts of those movies takes place at night. Basically it's for the same reasons you watch christmas movies when it's snow outside.

But since I'm a night person I would never reject a good 80s movie late at night, however I would reject plenty of them on day time.

[ 30. August 2010, 19:59: Message edited by: FT ]

Posts: 35 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm usually up til midnight regardless of whether I'm working the next day or not (have to get up at 6 AM), and generally tired from working and/or chasing my four year old. For that reason, I generally pick my old favs that I've seen a dozen times...that way if I fall asleep, I've not missed a new classic I've never seen before....for some odd reason, seems most likely to be Purple Rain and...Flashdance (don't laugh)....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will you just look at that Teen Witch cover... Brad Powell (sigh) what a dreamboat!

FT: interesting point about night vs day watching. The Burbs is a classic to rule them all.

kev: I'm not laughing, I'm hi-fiving!

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bodhi Zephyr
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9067

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bodhi Zephyr   Email Bodhi Zephyr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What an awesome thread!!! Some great ideas here to expand my late night movie watching, good idea Valley!

FIrst, of all kudos to Secret Admirer... there's nothing better than drifting off to the haunting sounds of Thomas Newman in Less Than Zero! Great score btw!!!

And I think I have to check out Streets of Fire now, looks great!

Gotta question for Valley: you mentioned you like to pop "Modern Girls" (amongst others) into the dvd player... Is "Modern Girls" on out on dvd yet?? Didn't know!

And while we're on the subject, does anybody know if that movie All Nighter, with Susanna Hoffs from the bangles, will ever come out on dvd?

Movies to asleep to: Less Than Zero, Reckless, Blade Runner, Footloose, Breakfast Club, Lost Boys, Point Break

Posts: 67 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Aug 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Bodhi.. I actually have "Modern Girls" saved off of MGM on my HD-DVR. However, as a safety net for the day my HD-DVR is no more, I made my own DVDs. I would relish the day that "Modern Girls" is released on Blu-ray with incredible extras. Dream a little dream.

"Streets of Fire" is wicked cool!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bodhi Zephyr
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9067

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bodhi Zephyr   Email Bodhi Zephyr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe I never heard of streets of fire, just watched the trailer on youtube, looks brilliant! Placed my order!

NIce idea on the recording! I'll buy a copy if you've any more!

Cheers
Bodhi

Posts: 67 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Aug 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, "Streets of Fire" is an unsung gem. I remember catching it in the theatre with about six other people. It was a complete financial disaster on its initial release, but over time--and with cable TV and homevideo--it's reputation has really soared, and deservedly so. There was a time, from "Hard Times" in 1975 to "Streets of Fire" in 1984, where everything director Walter Hill touched was just mesmerizing, genius work. I had forgotten that after the flop of "Streets" his next film was "Brewster's Millions," obviously an attempt to have a commercial hit with Richard Pryor. I think that it is by far Hill's worst film. Then his career was all over the map. I hope he bounces back with his upcoming film...
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My choice for late-night viewing would be any of the 80's horror films directed by Brian DePalma. To me, he's in the pantheon of movie director gods. "Dressed to Kill," "Blow Out," and "Body Double" are spectacular examples of films mixing commercial material (OK, my favorite of the bunch, "Blow Out" has about the least commercial ending of any movie, but otherwise...) with the unique viewpoint of a true master director. (And if you disagree with me, just remember, the greatest film critic of all time, Pauline Kael, said that DePalma was as good as, if not better than, Hitch, Spielberg, and Orson Welles!) And although I have seen them many time over the years such that they are all "comfort" movies to me, they still amaze. "Dressed to Kill" is STILL scary in spots even with the passing years and even though I can close my eyes and play out every camera angle and edit in my mind--all to the magnificent Pino Donaggio score. Love DePalma!
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
his next film was "Brewster's Millions," obviously an attempt to have a commercial hit with Richard Pryor. I think that it is by far Hill's worst film. Then his career was all over the map.
Yet still a lot of fun to watch.

Hill's Director's cut of The Warriors is a mess.

quote:
My choice for late-night viewing would be any of the 80's horror films directed by Brian DePalma. To me, he's in the pantheon of movie director gods. "Dressed to Kill," "Blow Out," and "Body Double" are spectacular examples of films mixing commercial material (OK, my favorite of the bunch, "Blow Out" has about the least commercial ending of any movie, but otherwise...)
"Good scream... it's a good scream."

I totally agree on the late night thing for DePalma movies. I think I saw most of them on late night TV in the 80's. Love 'em. You and me Crash - movie marathon.

quote:
(And if you disagree with me, just remember, the greatest film critic of all time, Pauline Kael, said that DePalma was as good as, if not better than, Hitch, Spielberg, and Orson Welles!)
And the feminist movement decided he was a misogynist that hated women based on nothing much at all, and that has unfortunately stuck.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
DePalma marathon for Halloween, logan5! We'll even do forgotten DePalma with "Wise Guys" and "Home Movies," which I think are both pretty darned funny!
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never seen 'Home Movies' - I'll have to check that out!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
A lot of people are down on "Home Movies" because it was basically filmed on the cheap by DePalma and his film class students as a project, but I think that it's absolutely hilarious, just nutty and brilliant. Nancy Allen looks fantastic--of course--and has never been funnier, here playing a lunatic strippper who does a stage show with a rabbit hand puppet and has more vices than you can shake a stick at. I was laughing out loud even typing that. [Smile]

It's very difficult to find (I'm not sure that it ever had an official homvideo release in the U.S.; the copies that I've seen were grey market.), and I've seen it for some outrageous prices on amazon.com.

[ 09. September 2010, 11:08: Message edited by: Crash ]

JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whichever ones have audio commentary! since I have no one in real life to talk about movies with (at least not with my own level of knowledge and similar taste), I like to fall asleep to whoever, yammering on about movies.

Last night... Tom McLoughlin on Friday The 13th 6!

Of course, if there's a "special" lady present, im clearly not gonna subject her to that kind of geekness [Smile]

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a particular list for this topic, but I will say that if I'm watching a movie during nighttime on TV or home video, drama (but not horror) works for me.

For some reason, comedy movies seem more funnier during the daytime, than at night. At least, that has been my experience.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNUC
Master Rewinder
Member # 3594

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TNUC   Author's Homepage   Email TNUC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sea of Love, The Lost Boys, Fright Night, Risky Business, TMNT 1, Near Dark, Night Hawks, The Running Man, Terminator.

.....they all have that "late night creep" feel to them!

Posts: 193 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home