iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Caddyshack.. best comedy ever? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Caddyshack.. best comedy ever?
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul..

I won't call "Caddyshack" the best comedy ever, but it is extremely high on my list. Maybe the appeal was different in the US, especially among teenage guys.. because those same guys are still using quotes from "Caddyshack" 30 years later.

"How 'bout a Fresca"

"Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!"

"Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key"

"So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."

"Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too."

and so many more!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's definitely one of the best. I don't think there can be Universal agreement on what the top 5 are, as people's tastes are different.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This morning I watched a little bit of a show on Biography channel- The Making of Caddyshack. I did learn something- Lacey Underall starred in the original Tron. She now lives in Florida- I guess she gave up acting.
Posts: 2290 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Paul..

I won't call "Caddyshack" the best comedy ever, but it is extremely high on my list. Maybe the appeal was different in the US, especially among teenage guys.. because those same guys are still using quotes from "Caddyshack" 30 years later.

"How 'bout a Fresca"

"Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!"

"Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key"

"So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."

"Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too."

and so many more!

In all honesty, my opinion comes from the fact that I can't recall ever hearing anyone outside of the movie saying any of those things. Whereas, I hear quotes from other movies all the time, and recognise them as such.

And there are far funnier comedies, as well, so we'll just have to disagree.

Caddyshack - It's Good, But Not That Good....

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This morning I watched a little bit of a show on Biography channel- The Making of Caddyshack. I did learn something- Lacey Underall starred in the original Tron. She now lives in Florida- I guess she gave up acting.
See, to me, the girl in Caddyshack is the girl from Tron. I view her roles the 'wrong' way round.

quote:
In all honesty, my opinion comes from the fact that I can't recall ever hearing anyone outside of the movie saying any of those things. Whereas, I hear quotes from other movies all the time, and recognise them as such.
Well, for what it's worth, I have heard people on this windswept little island quoting Caddshack, not that it would make it a better film just because they did, after all, people quote a lot of sh!te too.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you play golf Caddyshack is quoted alot. In my life it has definitely been the most quoted movie by myself and others around but I guess it depends on who you hang around with. I do quote The Terminator a fair bit though.

'Where did you just come from a scotch ad'

'Beat it Spalding'

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucas Locusts
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5826

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Lucas Locusts   Email Lucas Locusts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love Rodney Dangerfield in this.

Here you are kid..
Park my car
Get my bags
and put on some weight will ya?
Hey Wang, whats with the pictures, its a parking lot!

Posts: 17 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I think this place is restricted Wang, so don't tell em your Jewish OK."
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
it's a Rolex
Rewind Curious
Member # 9685

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for it's a Rolex   Email it's a Rolex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw this for the first time in ages on this site you can watch them free, it's got some pretty good 80s ones.....another one was Lucas love that film http://robustics.com/video/ecucEyR5cjVb-31
Posts: 3 | From: London | Registered: May 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't even make my top 100...
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But then again, I can't even think of 20 comedies that stands the test of time, let alone a 100!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Blasphemy! [Mad]
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh yeah this is a really funny one, but in my opinion i think the dream team is still the funniest movie ever.

i will have to work on a list of my favorite top ten comedies

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Caddyshack is the best ever. This thread's over [Smile]
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I have not changed my opinion. It is the best comedy ever and if you can't accept then you must have been something before electricity.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Caddyshack is one funny movie,I was watching clips of Rodney Dangerfield on youtube the other day,one's from his movie easy money with Joe pesci.

Bernie if you haven't seen easy money I recommend that you check it out as I reckon you'd have a good laugh at that as well.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w88Q4nmTfA8 - easy money Rodney Dangerfield exercise scene.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernie, my opinion hasn't changed either.

In the 2 1/2 years since I last posted on this thread, I've heard exactly zero people quote Caddyshack at me, and whilst I have watched it, I've seen loads of movies that were funnier and stronger as a movie.

So agree to disagree?

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yes, I have seen Easy Money several times. It really is a pretty decent movie. I love Dangerfield obviously and Pesci is great too. There are some great scenes in that movie.

Oh, I am definitely biased towards Caddyshack for sure. I guess cos I grew up on a golf course I heard this quoted all the time but again usually instigated by myself and my brother. Definitely a movie that is probably quoted on golf courses more than anywhere else. I have seen this movie more than any other and to me it is really funny.

But yes, agreed.

gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just heard it quoted on the radio the other day! I agree, if you golf, you hear this all the time. Still say it's not my favorite comedy of all time but still think it's one of the best for lines. I can't even tell you one line from Blues Brothers...but that's just me. Like I said before, I've heard people quote this movie who've never even seen it!.

"You'll get nothing and like it!"

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

"You'll get nothing and like it" has been said for decades by every parent of a demanding child. It's a line from the script in the movie, but you'll find that people saying this are just saying it, not thinking "here's an opportunity for a witty and timely quote from Caddyshack!"

Just because you hear something that was in a movie, it doesn't always follow that they are quoting the movie - more likely with stuff like this, the movie is quoting real people.

[ 29. April 2013, 09:11: Message edited by: P_a_u_l ]

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
My brother still thinks the line is "You'll get nothing like it!" That is what I thought it was too up until I was about 15 and someone said no, it's "You'll get nothing and like it!" It took me a while to come around but I now agree with the latter. My brother still disagrees.
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul - actually wasn't referring to that quote as one that is "from" that movie, just that I like that line.
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Gunga galunga" http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=X48G7Y0VWW4

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
So we finish 18 and he's gonna stiff me and I say hey Lama......
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how many cokes?
4 or 5.
what are you a diabetic?
I DON'T KNOW

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home