iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Cocoon or Cocoon: The Return?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cocoon or Cocoon: The Return?
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both of these movies were pretty cool, and featured some great actors - Hume Cronyn, Jessica Tandy, Wilford Brimley, Brian Dennehy, Don Ameche, Steve Guttenberg, Tahnee Welch, etc.

Which film did you like the most!? The second one had some powerful moments, I must admit. But, did it not seem contrived that the "seismic activity" would bring the aliens back so soon in Cocoon: The Return?

And, which "dying" scene most affected you - Rose's death in the first Cocoon, or Joe's death in the Return?

Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...or, did the little dying alien in the first Cocoon affect you more? :-)
Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both movies were very good, but I enjoyed the original "Cocoon" the most. Plus, it is mentioned by Lloyd Dobler in "Say Anything" .. so bonus points!
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first Cocoon for sure. Didn't like The Return nearly as much. It seemed like a grab for cash by the studio after the success of the original.
Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First one is better; Ron Howard may take a lot of heat for being too predictable a director, but in this case he delivers very nicely. The sequel nonetheless is still passable and in general a better sequel than many others that came off 80s classics over the years.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the first one! Sweet movie...

"Okay, how ya doing? I'm Lloyd, and we're gonna watch the movie "Cocoon." I've never actually seen it, but I heard it's very good, it makes you happy, thats a good thing. It's about a group of older people who go to outer space... hope I didnt give anything away there."

I love Brian Dennehy in anything he makes and the second has the scene where Don Ameche in what is the worst special effect ever is floated off the ground for a game winning basketball dunk. Makes me want to punch myself in the face every time. Grrrr [Mad] But I can't go out on a sour note, so I will say again...sweet little feel good movie. [Smile]

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Earl...love the Lloyd Dobler "Say Anything" ramble!!
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I´m watching some Steve Guttenberg movies now and just watched Cocoon.
I don´t know, somehow this movie was just ok for me.

Steve G was so underused which was a shock because this movie came just one year after Police Academy.
Ok, it wasn´t really HIS movie but anyway.
Every guy from the street could have acted his part.

The veteran actors are good, liked the fx (ILM) and it was nice to see D.A.R.Y.L.,
but maybe this was just too soft.

I´m going to watch Cocoon 2 soon (after Warbus 2 [Cool] )

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great acting in it but for me i really didnt enjoy the movies at all and thus dont have them...sorry to disagree but it didnt pull any of my strings. The first one in my was better than the second but most usually are better than the sequel example - teen wolf too and KK2.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched Cocoon: The Return today.

This was a solid sequel and i must say that it was nice to see all the actors again.
Also seeing Courteney Cox in her 3rd feature film was a plus.

Now i need some good old b-action [Cool] [Cool]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home