iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Legend of Billie Jean on DVD? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Legend of Billie Jean on DVD?
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is great news! I will believe it when it is physically in my possession.
Posts: 4420 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
QUOTE]Hey Everyone.. it looks like we can take down those missing person posters on 'Muffy'. So glad she found her way back! [Smile]

Awww Valley I never saw this til now [Smile] lol

I got mine......might watch it tomorrow or Friday with commentary...can't wait!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched the commentary. It was just OK. Both women didn't seem to remember much about making the movie, understandably. Helen Slater did make fun of her southern accent in the movie though, which was funny!
Posts: 727 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Legend of Bille Jean is one of my favorite '80's films. I had a strong interest in seeing TLOBJ back in the '80's & early '90s', and remember seeing ads for this on network TV - though for whatever reason never caught it that time. However, as the years went by, I became more & more interested in the film, especially because it gained a "cult" following over the years.

So, I finally saw the film around Spring 2012, on DVD; IIRC, it took a long time to make it's way onto DVD (it was first released in 2011), at least partially because of rights issues involving the Pat Benatar soundtrack. IMHO this is a great way to see the film at this point. The print is Anamorphic Widescreen, and the Picture Quality (PQ) is fairly good.

I enjoyed the storyline, the Corpus Christi, TX setting (I've been there a couple of times, and the beaches are great - it reminds me slightly of Florida), and the characterization. Great story revolving around how poor people (Bilie Jean & her friends) are victimized by the rich & powerful (represented by the the fat cat sleaze-bag who attacked Billie early in the film, and his entitled son) - typically, in cases like this - the rich perps. get away with their actions, while the poor people suffer. So, that's why this film was so refreshing - i.e., I liked how Billie Jean & co. represented the underdogs of society, and became "heroes" to a great extent as the film progressed.

Comments about the film:

-It was funny to see Yeardley Smith in a "live action" role; later, she provided the voice for Lisa Simpson on the iconic cartoon series "The Simpsons" - LOL. It's also interesting that Smith, who could easily pass for a young teen in the film (which she portrayed) was actually 21 when the movie came out in '85 (she was born in 1964).

-And, it's also worth noting that Christian Slater & Helen Slater are not related, despite having the same last name & despite having played brother & sister in the film [Wink]

- Christian Slater really looks like he got badly beaten up, after he went after the kids who stole his motor scooter. Very realistic make-up, especially given that this is an '80's film.

-One of my favorite scenes was when the sleazy father - who was trying to make money off of Billie's image (by selling T-shirts with her face, etc.) was confronted by Billie Jean on the beach, towards the end. It was very fitting that his entire "operation" burned down in that fire, and that no one even made an attempt to help him - especially because he & his scum-bag son had been directly responsible for Billie's problems in the first place. Poetic justice [Wink]

- If the movie had come out today, I think it would have been much more violent. I.e., I suspect that the sleazy father would probably have gotten accidentally killed in his store - instead of just getting wounded - and the kids (Billie Jean & her gang) would have been on the run for their lives. And, the film would almost certainly have ended with Bille Jean (or another of the kids) getting killed. However, given that '80's films have - in some cases - a kind of innocence about them, the ending was relatively happy for the "good guys". Which really fit the era; i.e., I can't imagine the movie ending any way other than it did.

-The very attractive Martha Gehman (Ophelia) was 30 when the film came out - though was playing a much younger character. Yes, she does look like she could be in her mid-20's, but not quite 30. She doesn't look that much older than H. Slater (who was 25 at the time). In any case, she did a great job in this film.

-There are numerous great & very cinematic shots in the film, notably:

1) A scene @ dawn when the gang is leaving the abandoned miniature golf place for the first time (near the beginning), with the sun is rising above the bridge in the background - very nice.

2) Another great scene is @ night, with the amusement park in the background - the one ride lit up with fluorescent lights is especially impressive.

[ 26. January 2019, 13:11: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 497 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home