iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Ghoulies, Munchies, Critters,Gremlins (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ghoulies, Munchies, Critters,Gremlins
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The title of this thread just makes me smile! Thanks Muffy! I never saw Munchies, Crunchies, oops, I mean, Critters or Ghoulies...Netflix?

Bernie, the pic of Flav & Stripe is hilarious! WOW!!!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to put it up. The resemblance is exactly as you said it. WOW!!!
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well..i did own a Furby or two...which I guess is the closest you can get to owning a mogwai. And yeah, I tried to make it multiply by throwing water on it. But then it just stopped moving and talking altogether.

Gremlins is obviously always gonna be the best of the bunch here. But as ridiculous as they were, I kind of enjoyed Ghoulies and Munchies too. Well, the first Ghoulies I didn't really care for, but I like the sequel Ghoulies II.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My vote will always be for "Gremlins", but I think it is important to recognize the origins of these movies. As I was watching a portion of "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" from 1986 on the SyFy channel the other night.. it reminded me of the original tv series that I cherished as a kid.

-

And particularly this episode titled "Trouble With the Tribbles"..

[ 16. February 2011, 15:02: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if they got the idea for the look of the gremlin from the Twilight Zone movie - 1982.

The scene where Lithgow is seeing that creature out on the wing of the plane.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley, I <3 tribbles [Smile] .
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cindymancini:
Valley, I <3 tribbles [Smile] .

Tribblemaker.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm....not really sure about this one. Was Gremlins the one with the cute black haired girl in it?
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cute, black-haired girl? ROFL!!! The only time the living goddess Phoebe Cates has ever been so referenced, Kev. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
It's too bad she didn't go topless in this one aswell, but I guess it would have looked a bit out of place in this movie.
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phoebe Cates and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"...proof of a high power in the universe. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anybody think those things on The Gate were any creepier than any of the aforementioned?
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
speaking of phoebe cates on gremlins 2, what was the deal with that story about abraham lincoln and the raincoat.... creepy
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Just bought and watched Munchies (1987) and what a supersilly timewaster it was [Big Grin]
It´s totally ruthless Gremlins rip-off all the way and the creators know it. The plot is simply disastrous.
Munchies was directed by Tina Hirsch, editor of many Roger Corman films and btw, she also edited Gremlins.

The film stars Charlie Stratton, very pretty Nadine van der Velde (i loved her also in Critters), Harvey Korman,
Wendy Schaal and Robert Picardo who was also in Gremlins 2. So, lots of Corman/Dante regulars in this one.
The whole cast knows that it´s a tongue in cheek film and they certainly act that way.

However, the movie is just TOO silly for common movie watcher. Heck, it´s even too silly for me [Big Grin]

Munchies was called Glufz in Sweden and finland. I wonder who was the brainiac behind this title !?

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Gremlins is just an all-round amazing film, I remember I loved that film when I was a little kid.

I've never seen Critters, however, I'd like to see Critters 3 only to see Leonardo DiCaprio in one of his early roles.

I haven't seen the other two, they don't exactly look that good though, just a copy of Gremlins, should I avoid them?

Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I've seen both ghoulies films way back when first released,if memory serves right neither was overly amazing but for low budget creature features they were still perfectly watchable,the second in particular was quite good fun!

They don't compare to the first couple of critters movies though (I thought the first 2 were really good fun) and most certainly don't compare to the classic gremlins.

Never seen munchies before atomik but I'd imagine like ghoulies it didn't quite live up to its cover art!

-

I always thought the first troll movie was quite a blast.

[ 27. April 2015, 11:23: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I´m sure that we talked about the Ghoulies films in another thread but maybe that was lost during the S-wars.
Anyway, i watched the first three Ghoulies movies few years ago and the third one, Ghoulies Go to College (1991) is easily the most entertaining.
It was directed by John Carl Buechler, same guy who did Troll and i highly recommend it.
I haven´t got Ghoulies IV and i´ve yet to see Troll but i´m gonna fix that problem soon.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never seen ghoulies 3 but I've heard many times before that the 3rd part is a lot more entertaining than the previous 2 entries in the series.

I'll add it to my rental list when I get chance,part 4 though is meant to be terrible with many people stating that it's easily the worst in the series.

so i'd think I'd be wise to steer well clear of that one!

Troll is well worth checking out atomik,it wasn't that long ago i first watched it myself,i got it on a double dvd with troll 2,i'd say it's as cheesy as the ghoulies series but a definite cut above!

[ 27. April 2015, 15:52: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I must be glutton for punishment,I've just added the first three ghoulies films to my rental list.

I couldn't bring myself to add the fourth one,I don't think I could quite bear it!

You'd be OK though atomik,you managed to make it through all the howling sequels,that alone deserves a medal [Big Grin]

[ 27. April 2015, 15:44: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Oh the Howling films, the horror, the horror [Big Grin]
You know, i still haven´t seen the 6th part. Maybe it´s time to check it out because i know there´s some hope that i will survive.
Howling 6 was directed by Hope Perello [Cool]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home