iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » 80's Movie Club - Movie #1 (all come join) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 80's Movie Club - Movie #1 (all come join)
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 80'sRocked:
I was never like any of those characters. My look was closest to Bender's, but I never had that tough guy attitude. I've never been in a fight in my life and always got along with everybody. I was always into sports my whole life, but never a jock like Andy. I was also pretty smart like Brian, but never geeky or a nerd. I guess you could kind of combine all 3, mix in a little Eddie from Trick or Treat, and a touch of Billy from The Lost Boys.

I'll go you one further. Not only was I a combination of Andy, Brian and John in High School, but I'm also not entirely unlike Vernon as an adult. At least I can sort of relate to him more now.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, Jay Lee is the one I will pick for the next movie. He really nailed it. I do have to say that I really liked yours Valley. Very creative. So Jay Lee you are up. Pick a movie for the next two weeks. Anyone who still hasn't added in here feel free still.
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good job Jay Lee! Well done... [Smile]

In high school I was a bit of a rebel and a big clown. I had friends in many clicks but in general, even though I had friends that were "preppies" I didn't like most of them. I pulled a lot of pranks in school and out. I came from a one parent working class home and I really allied myself with this type of people in general. The guy I didn't like in high school was the guy that picked on weaker kids. I would stand up for them when I came across it. It's funny, years after graduating some of the "preppie" wannabe's that looked down on me, and others, ended up waiting on me in different restaurants I patronized. I was always polite and treated them with respect. I always try to find the good in people. Sometimes the will surprise you.

Anyway, people change when they grow up... Right Jay Lee?

Be good,

- J [Smile]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im honoured [Smile] Well, im gonna go with a movie that I don't find all that great. But I wanna know why other people do, and im interested in hearing your arguments for this movie!

I pick....

SAY ANYTHING 1989

-

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen this one in years and don't remember much about it. I think this was playing on Starz/Encore recently. I have to check if it still is anytime soon...................bummer, not seeing it. There are a ton of other 80's movies coming on in the next couple of days though. Some are The Abyss, Bull Durham, Vampire's Kiss, Child's Play, Mannequin, Platoon, Sixteen Candles, War of the Roses. Have to get the recorder rolling for some.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay Lee, I agree with you, I've never been able to get in to this movie. I will rewatch it though and see if I can.
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best known for Lloyd Dobler’s immortal line: “I gave her my number, she gave me an STD”…or something very similar. As Cameron Crowe is one of my favourite auteurs, I was kind of surprised it took me so long to get around to seeing this, though I’m glad I did; its not the smoothest or even the best written picture Crowe’s ever made, but ‘Say Anything’ marks the chiselled origin of the Cusack everyman character archetype, the one he’d been working on since ‘The Sure Thing’ and the one he’d hone over the next decade. I also loved the fact that Jeremy Piven (who’d work with Cusack again in just less than “10 YEARS!” from now in ‘Grosse Pointe Blank’) and Lilly Taylor (who went onto play one of Cusack’s ex-girlfriends in ‘High Fidelity’) made appearances, for it completes an introspective narrative arc of sorts, which, to me at least, is kinda cool. Lloyd Dobler is happy being Lloyd Dobler, and it’s a testament, perhaps even an indictment, of the times we live in; that such a statement seems odd or even controversial. He’s just an ordinary bloke trying to get by, that night at the party; we’ve all been there when one day just fades into another, and you connect with someone and then, for whatever reason, reality makes an inevitable, but nonetheless unwanted, incursion. Se la vie. Another thing about that party, did anyone else notice two ‘Heathers’ in attendance? The late Kim Walker (Heather Chandler) & Lisanne Falk (Heather Mcnamara). Now, its pretty much established that when it comes to movies I don't want to watch anything, remake, or process anything. I don't want to make anything bought or processed, or watch anything sold or processed, or remake anything sold, bought, or processed, or re-watch anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career or a night in, I don't want to do that. So in light of the aforementioned, I’m off to re-watch this movie on Laserdisc: it’s the format of the future.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
Great write up Kash!
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is by no means a review, just my usual rambles.

-

"Say Anything" is not a flick that I would watch every night, but Lloyd Dobler is an honorable 80's character. Let's face it, in a world that is ruled by Jake Ryan from "Sixteen Candles" how could a former geek in a trunk ever get noticed anyway?

In my opinion, it takes tremendous courage to take a chance and call a beautiful girl that appears to be out of your league. In reality, Diane Court never really was out of Lloyd Dobler's reach, but high school is a strange world where the stuff that matters later in life is not a priority just yet. Just go to any high school reunion twenty years later and you will quickly recognize that fact has come to fruition.

I really enjoyed the party scenes where Lloyd is 'the key master' and he allows Diane to go off and do her own thing, but Lloyd is always close enough to check on her to make sure she is doing ok. Also, at graduation where Lloyd does the ingenius "take a picture of me with Diane Court though she doesn't know who I am" is another awesome moment.

But if you want to get to the real message of the movie all you need to do is pay a visit to your buddies at the Gas 'N Sip and get their advice:

"Man, all you gotta do is find a girl that looks just like her, nail her, and then dump her, man. Get her of your mind."

"Your only mistake is that you didn't dump her first. Diane Court is a show pony. You need a stallion, my friend. Walk with us and you walk tall."

ok, that was a mistake!

How about this:

"Nobody thinks it will work, do they?.....No....but, you just described every great success story."

I don't know about all of you, but I'm still looking for my 'dare to be great situation'!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice review Valley, oops [Embarrassed] I mean, nice usual ramblings. [Wink]
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice Kash! I really liked it...
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
This is by no means a review, just my usual rambles.

-

"Say Anything" is not a flick that I would watch every night, but Lloyd Dobler is an honorable 80's character. Let's face it, in a world that is ruled by Jake Ryan from "Sixteen Candles" how could a former geek in a trunk ever get noticed anyway?

In my opinion, it takes tremendous courage to take a chance and call a beautiful girl that appears to be out of your league. In reality, Diane Court never really was out of Lloyd Dobler's reach, but high school is a strange world where the stuff that matters later in life is not a priority just yet. Just go to any high school reunion twenty years later and you will quickly recognize that fact has come to fruition.

I really enjoyed the party scenes where Lloyd is 'the key master' and he allows Diane to go off and do her own thing, but Lloyd is always close enough to check on her to make sure she is doing ok. Also, at graduation where Lloyd does the ingenius "take a picture of me with Diane Court though she doesn't know who I am" is another awesome moment.

But if you want to get to the real message of the movie all you need to do is pay a visit to your buddies at the Gas 'N Sip and get their advice:

"Man, all you gotta do is find a girl that looks just like her, nail her, and then dump her, man. Get her of your mind."

"Your only mistake is that you didn't dump her first. Diane Court is a show pony. You need a stallion, my friend. Walk with us and you walk tall."

ok, that was a mistake!

How about this:

"Nobody thinks it will work, do they?.....No....but, you just described every great success story."

I don't know about all of you, but I'm still looking for my 'dare to be great situation'!

Nice Valley... You do know that Loyd would have kicked Jake Ryan's butt don't you? He was practicing kick boxing. It's the sport of the future you know... [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home