iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » What movies scared you the most as a kid and now? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What movies scared you the most as a kid and now?
Big Kahuna
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5278

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Big Kahuna   Email Big Kahuna   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Exorcist....I will not watch it - even today.
Posts: 23 | From: okc, ok | Registered: Dec 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mane1980   Author's Homepage   Email Mane1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Exorcist
Nightmare on Elm Street
Halloween
Dark Crystal

Posts: 631 | From: From Out of this World | Registered: Jul 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MONSOON
Master Rewinder
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for MONSOON   Email MONSOON   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Night of the Living Dead. I seen at a Drive In when I was around 5. Just a little too much for a 5 yr old.
Id have to agree with an earlier post about Jaws. Seen it at the drive in as well. I am still not a big fan of the ocean because of it.
Scanners freaked me out also.

Posts: 264 | From: Bainbridge , GA | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imawalkingcorpse
Master Rewinder
Member # 1675

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for imawalkingcorpse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jaws kind of weirded me out, too.
Posts: 199 | From: Overland Park | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Smith
Rewind Curious
Member # 5482

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watership Down.

It might be a film about bunnies, but it feels like it holds a truth about death which is both beautiful and horrifying. Had nightmares for weeks when I saw this as a child.

Posts: 2 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaspian
Rewind Curious
Member # 5503

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Kaspian   Author's Homepage   Email Kaspian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nightmare on Elm St......scary stuff...I could not sleep the night I watched it.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayeh1969
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4654

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jayeh1969   Email jayeh1969   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pettyfan:
Phantasm scared the sh!t out of me when I was a kid. I swear, I had nightmares for a month. That Tall Man sure was a freaky thing. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original) scared the crap out of me too.

Movies don't really scare me now. However, I watched Wolf Creek a few weekends ago and it was just freakin' disturbing. I guess what made it so bad was that it was supposed to be based on actual events.

Posts: 60 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayeh1969
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4654

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jayeh1969   Email jayeh1969   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Phantasm, part 2 was on Space Channel (Canada)last night. Angus Grimm was (is) pretty creepy. "You play a good game, boy".
Pretty cheesy but likable actors. I'd love to see a modern remake (original)with a half decent budget.

The scariest movie for me though was the original Tales From the Crypt (1972). People go into a cave tour, 5 get separated and each of 'their' story is told. Joan Collins is in the 1st part, kills her husband while her young daughter (who can't sleep) waits for Santa Christmas eve. After she kills him, she hears on the radio that "there is an escaped homicidal maniac on the loose". Guess where he shows up?
Scary stuff for an 11 yo. Way ahead of its time.

Posts: 60 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tobey
Master Rewinder
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Tobey   Email Tobey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Now be honest. How many of you can truly being able to watch The Shining at night.
Yeah, it scared me too when I was a kid. Saw it again not too long ago, and it... sucked.

The Exorcist was, and still is, the scariest, but the one I remember most vividly as a bringer of bad dreams is a European movie called "De Lift".
Recommended, but stay away from the American version from 2001 (even though it's the same director); "Down"!

Posts: 173 | From: Norway | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now - not many (I'm not a horror fan, so really don't watch movies for the scare factor)

As a kid: easy. The single scariest character in any movie, any era if you're a kid has to be The Child Catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OhmyGod, my sister and her kids were over for dinner a few months ago and as I was putting out cake and cookies for desert I called "CHILLLLL-DRRRENN!!!!" (which I have done to them since they were toddlers , knowing full well they are afraid of that guy!) My sister- who had never heard me do it before- shot up in her chair with a terrified look on her face and she said "ohmyGod, you sound just like The Child Catcher guy from CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG. That guy always scred the Hell out of me!" and I said "Me too!" (But watching it as an adult I now wonder why I thought he was so scary.)
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Rewind Curious
Member # 732

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for doodlebug   Email doodlebug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have to say Children of the Corn definitely. I'm sure there were more but I can't name them off hand.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanstar
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4235

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Phanstar   Email Phanstar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Amityville horror scaring the poop out of me when I was really little.
Posts: 97 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary-Jane
Rewind Curious
Member # 5599

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Mary-Jane   Email Mary-Jane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Shining" back in the day but I watched it again recently and nothing,no thrill at all.
"Nightmare On Elm Street" freaked me out and I have never rewatched it.
Now when I was really little mum was watching a movie (don't know what it was)and in a scene a face wearing an African tribal mask jumped up at a window and startled the people inside. Well for years after that I kept expecting a scary face to jump out at me in windows especially the small toilet window which you had to put your back to. It's strange the things that stay with ya!

Posts: 8 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Feb 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slayathon
Rewind Curious
Member # 3752

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for slayathon   Author's Homepage   Email slayathon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell Night with Linda Blair
Posts: 8 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris the CandyFanMan:
To the second grader I was when they brought in the tape for a winter recess session, The Secret of N.I.M.H. was a very disturbing film. Having the spector of death hanging over pretty much everyone (and as it is literally in Nicodemus's ultimate case)throughout the picture is almost too much for a seven year old, and the last 15 minutes or so were almost too unbearable to watch; even today if I catch it on TV (which hasn't been for about 8 years now), I select carefully the parts I observe.

And if that wasn't enough on my wounded psyche, we then got to see The Little Mermaid once its VHS release hit stores, and I was practically in mental fits when Triton blasts Ariel's grotto to pieces. Certainly prejudice and poor anger management skills aren't something you expect from a good guy, especially one who for a brief moment appears to be borderline insane (so who can blame Sebastian for feeling immediate guilt over having blurted everything out?). It was years before I could bring myself to watch that part in full. The rest of the film wasn't easy either; as noted in other threads, Ursula's polyping habits can be uneasing to witness, particularly when Triton allows it on himself for redemption for his actions, and I still have nightmares on occasion that a large dark set of hands will yank my voice out of my throat if I'm not careful.

Actually, The Secret Of NIMH never scared me; in fact, I became obsessed with it for a long while. [Big Grin] I was, however, afraid of The Little Mermaid for a time (Ursula was to blame), but I eventually got over it.

But the one movie I love more than anything now, The Great Mouse Detective, was super-scary to me when I was little; couldn't watch it for over a decade. (I must admit--Ratigan & Fidget are the creepiest animated villains in history!)

Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bobcat_816
Rewinder
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for bobcat_816         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any Friday the 13th.
Posts: 33 | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roth
Rewind Curious
Member # 5622

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for roth   Email roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was 2 i remember vividly, upsetting me to the point of nightmares....the brother from another planet and believe it or not the dark crystal lol.

Also i think it was called the pit...had monsters and a pervy kid in it?!

Posts: 5 | From: London UK | Registered: Feb 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by roth:
There was 2 i remember vividly, upsetting me to the point of nightmares....the brother from another planet and believe it or not the dark crystal lol.

Also i think it was called the pit...had monsters and a pervy kid in it?!

Yeah, I saw The Pit...it was pretty good, as I remember. Reminded me a little bit of The Gate.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee3
Rewind Curious
Member # 4567

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Lee3   Email Lee3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Omen scared me.....
Posts: 3 | From: England | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valleygirl
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5628

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for valleygirl   Email valleygirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THe exorcist
the shining
halloween..mainly 1&2 cause after awhile its like ok when is this dude going to die?
nightmare on elm street

i still cant really watch these or most other horror movies at night..gives me the willies. [Eek!]

Posts: 24 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meesh 26
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5648

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Meesh 26   Email Meesh 26   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fright Night and The Ghoulies scared me most. I thought Chris Surrandon was going to come crashing through my cieling to suck my blood and I couldn't sit on a toilet seat forever after seeing ghoulies 3.
Posts: 12 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melissa7783
Rewind Curious
Member # 5653

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for melissa7783   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the movie ghost scared me so bad as a child. especially when demi moores dead husband goes inside whoopi. the whole movie was just to much for me to comprehend as a child. i still to this day havent watched it. and iv never been able to listen to the song unchained melody. just recently put it all together...brings back bad memories or that creepy movie.

also this scene from dumbo really freaked me out too, i think dumbo was dreaming or somethings and all these wierd colorfull elephants were dancing and singing all over the place. creepy!!

Posts: 3 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by melissa7783:
the movie ghost scared me so bad as a child. especially when demi moores dead husband goes inside whoopi. the whole movie was just to much for me to comprehend as a child. i still to this day havent watched it. and iv never been able to listen to the song unchained melody. just recently put it all together...brings back bad memories or that creepy movie.

also this scene from dumbo really freaked me out too, i think dumbo was dreaming or somethings and all these wierd colorfull elephants were dancing and singing all over the place. creepy!!

Why is it that everyone I know is scared of the Pink Elephants scene? *glares in mock annoyance*
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't. It was bizarre but not scary.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home