iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Can't buy me love (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Can't buy me love
the_haimster
Rewinder
Member # 4485

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for the_haimster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well i recognise that i will probably set myself up in the minority by saying this but i want to anyway just to hear others's take on the movie.

I recently bought this movie after seeing the fantastic rating it was given on this site. I am 21 and although i am a huge fan of 80's teen/comedy/romance movies such as The Goonies, Stand by me, Licence to drive, Dream a little dream, Lost boys etc i struggled to get into this film from the start.

I felt that the movie came across very dated and the story quite boring which is unusual for me as normally i love this genre of movie. I wasn't very familiar with the cast so maybe that had an effect on me but i just didn't "feel" the movie magic that was quoted in the review. The soundtrack was quite good but i am suprised i didnt really enjoy the movie much.

Maybe it was because it was aimed more as a chick flick rather than one for the guys?

What do you guys think?

Posts: 45 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was just mediocre myself. But I did like Patrick Dempsey in it, and a lot of the guys here like the girl who played Cindy (I can't remember her name).
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was pretty cool, actually. It reminded me of an episode on a cartoon I saw once...
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Rewind Curious
Member # 732

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for doodlebug   Email doodlebug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eightieschick:
I thought it was just mediocre myself. But I did like Patrick Dempsey in it, and a lot of the guys here like the girl who played Cindy (I can't remember her name).

Amanda Peterson played cindy mancini [Smile]
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richie
Master Rewinder
Member # 3527

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whatever happened to her? I was in LOVE with that girl!
Posts: 248 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

You are definitely in the minority. Great movie, see it again. And again, and again.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an 80s movie. Campy, predictable, silly and fun. You know being an 80s fan that 80s movies have plots that we don't always by, but thats an endearing quality about them.

It's also hard to watch an 80s movie today if you never saw it when it first came out. If you would have seen it 20 years ago I bet you would have loved it.

Take it in again. I'm sure it will grow on you.

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It didnt do it for me either. I never saw it in the '80s but I watched it a few months ago. It just doesnt have a whole lot of genuine laughs in it. Story is pleasant enough but I had expected something funnier.
I did get a kick out of seeing Seth Green as the little brother though. He was the best part of the movie for me.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seth Green was hilarious. And so were the nerdy friends. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Can't Buy Me Love. I think it's one of the greatest movies of all time. Watch it again. You might find it grows on you.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I said in my review for this site, I first caught this in 1999 and it wasn't until the "fake relationship" got going that the movie really started to work for me...

I recommend a late night viewing with the volume up. Skip to the start of school (where Ronald is just about to walk the "cool hall" for the first time) and watch about 8 minutes of pure 80s joy [Smile] (IMHO)

If you haven't got any goosebumps by the airplane graveyard then you surely just haven't got a heart [Wink] [Razz]

"Well, the pilot who ditched it in 1944. He came back a few weeks ago to take a look at this... He stood here and looked at this thing the whole day..." [Cool]

-

[ 22. May 2009, 01:12: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll start by saying that the movie watching experience is subjective based on numerous factors such as mood, timing, preferences and how a movie relates to you. That is why one person loves and another loathes the same movie.

I totally get "Can't Buy Me Love", it was a hidden gem of the 80's in my opinion. The quotes are classic. How can you not love a movie that takes a dork from Totally Geek to Totally Sheek for only a $1,000.

And stop calling me Donald!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mane1980   Author's Homepage   Email Mane1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Movie!!!! This one had a remake called Love don't cost a thing about 1 or 2 years ago!
Posts: 631 | From: From Out of this World | Registered: Jul 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was one of my favorite 80s films. But I don't see how someone watching it over and over again will get them to like it if they didn't enjoy it the first time. It's a love/hate deal IMO...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about watching it over again, but I do say give it another shot sometime when you are in a great mood. The right frame of mind will sometimes enhance how much you like or dislike a movie, especially if you say it's your kind of movie.

Plan B is to learn all the moves to the African Anteater Dance and go clubbing tonight! [Wink] [Cool]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like this movie
Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larry B. Scott
Master Rewinder
Member # 2508

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Larry B. Scott   Email Larry B. Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has some great moments. The dance. "You sh*t on my house, man!" And Dempsey's sappy scenes.
Posts: 147 | From: New York City | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenkobra
Master Rewinder
Member # 892

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kenkobra   Email kenkobra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK this is my first post in close to a year and a half. Just started checking the site again and glad to be back.

I just loved the movie when it came out. Was was a Jr. in High School in Arizona (fillmed in Tucson Arizon) so I could relate to the locations they were filmed at. I just Tivo'd the movie a few weeks ago and view a few minutes every now and then.

African Anteater Dance

-

Posts: 224 | From: AZ | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's some info on Amanda Peterson I just got off the internet today. One of those "Where Are They Now" stories. Some people said she was strung out on drugs in living in Colorado. Apparently not.

"Speaking of dreams, Ronnie Miller (Patrick Dempsey) had one in 1987's "Can't Buy Me Love": to be popular. The nerdy lawn boy seizes an opportunity and pays Cindy Mancini (Amanda Peterson), the stereotypical blond cheerleader, $1,000 to help make it happen.

With her perfectly permed blond hair and teen queen tan, Peterson was every nerd's high school dream girl. So how come Dempsey gets to have a huge career comeback with "Grey's Anatomy," but we never saw
Peterson's pretty face again? (Someone should suggest a cameo for sweeps week.) Well, she left the business, got married and now lives in Napa Valley, where she's careful not to spill red wine on any white suede outfits."

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Devolution:
You are definitely in the minority. Great movie, see it again. And again, and again.

Couldn't agree more. I wrote the review on the site and, as you can read in the review, I didnt see the movie until I was 31 in 1999... And I *still* fell in love with it immediately.

It was one of those occasions where you start off half watching and then get sucked in...

"She is Cindy Mancini"

"-You can't argue with that logic..."

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is one of my favorite patrick dempsey flicks. i can watch this movie all the time.
Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always loved this movie, I still watch every few years or so. Peterson should have been a star, and can't believe Gerardo(Rico Sauve)plays one of the jocks. Probably this one and Hapy Together and Loverboy are my favorite Dempsey movies.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SHOGUN
Master Rewinder
Member # 477

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for SHOGUN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haven't peeped this in ages, adore this flick. This had a few cringeworthy moments like the tribal dance ploy, when cindy gels patrick's hair and flips his collar in order to fit with the "cool" crowd.

But overall good teen romance.

Posts: 199 | From: LONDON | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rainbowbrite22
Given the choice, Duckie would have been Luckie...
Member # 2288

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rainbowbrite22   Author's Homepage   Email Rainbowbrite22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this movie its one of my favs from the 80s [Smile] i m a sucker for mcdreamy [Smile] lol
Posts: 1270 | From: GA the peachie state :) | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my wife's favs, so needless to say...I've seen it a dozen times...I like it...but maybe not as much as she does! Just bought her "Loverboy" w' Dempsy in it...neither of us have seen this one.
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Can´t Buy Me Love and Loverboy, but i like all 80s Dempsey flicks.
And you really should watch Run from ´91.
That´s a good Dempsey and Kelly Preston film.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home