iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Stayin Alive

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stayin Alive
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never watched this the whole way through, but I watched a good piece of it the other night, it was on one of the movies channels.

And, I thought the show they did was really awesome, and I thought John Travolta looked so great, he must have worked out non stop, cause his body was perfect in this movie. I thought the dance scene at the end reminded me of the "Street Jazz" show in Breakin.

You never see dancing scenes like that any more.

I thought "Tony" treated his girlfriend like dirt...like he treated Annette in Saturday Night Fever...and he got it in return from Finola Hughes's character...just like Stephanie treated him in SNF...there was a scene in the show that Tony kisses Finola Hughes character and she scratches him in the face, I thought ...geez woman...your a little too touchy. I like when he was suppose to catch her and he dropped her on her butt...she totally deserved it.

But...then at the end when he takes over the dance floor, and then jumps up on that thing that is going up in the air, and he tells her to jump...and she does and she makes it, and he holds her up in the air...that was an awesome scene.

It was hard to believe that was the same "Tony" from Saturday Night Fever...and I have always thought it was strange that Sylvester Stallone directed it...but I think I'd like to watch it from the beginning again.

I liked the end...where he says..."I need to strut"....and they play "Stayin Alive"...that was a cool ending....to take it back to the beginning of the first one.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh yes, the famous strut scene at the end-LOVE IT! [Wink]

i love the dance scene at the end too. travolta had a great body in those days and danced really well. cynthia rhodes is so cool, i love her voice when she is singing on stage with stallone's brother. she can dance really good too-just like in dirty dancing.
the thing i like most about the movie, was that his character changes from one movie to the next. he realizes that he wasn't the god he once thought he was.

good movie, with a kick-butt soundtrack!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie doesn't hold a candle to Saturday Night Fever. I liked the character of Tony, but the dance show was no where as good as the show at the end of Breakin'. The dancing was decent, but that theme had to go.

The "Strut" was total cheese, but I too enjoyed the ending. The cameo of Sylvester Stallone bumping into Travolta on the sidewalk was a cool little tidbit as well.

-

Or:

-

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’ve grown to like this movie over the years (if only for its novelty value, and the fact that I’m a Travolta fan--wow, Crusie & Travolta: both scientologists...must be a conspiracy there somewhere [Wink] )

I remember the first time I saw 'SA' I was cringing throughout: from ‘Saturday Night Fever’ (a gritty exercise in urban realism) to this? Nowadays, you have to love it for the cheese factor alone, the clothes, the hair, the Bee Gees whilst the immortal strut scene has to be one of my favourite Travolta moments. Sly Stallone trained John to be in peak physical condition for this film (those days but a distant memory to the uber-mass John of our time [Wink] ): 'Stayin' Alive's good fun, not a patch on 'SNF' but a rare highlight in John’s mostly unremarkable 80s CV.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me, or does Travolta look strikingly like Rambo in the above Staying Alive picture? Coincidence?
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally correcto mundo Chris!! That would be because Mr. Stallone directed Stayin Alive. He even had a cameo walking down the street in the movie wearing something like a fur coat or something.

I liked this one okay, I really liked Cynthia Rhodes in it. I kind of was annoyed by Finola Hughes character.

I'd give it 2 out of 4 stars.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home