iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Friday Nights in the 80s..... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Friday Nights in the 80s.....
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I sit at work near death-by-boredom, I was just thinking of Friday nights in the 80s when we were kids.

Some video game system of the moment;

junk food;

crank calling the girls we liked;

hide and seek in the dark;

staying up to the wee smalls for the r-rated movies on cable.

I WANNA GO BACK, I WANNA GO BACK!!!

[Smile]

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know exactly how you feel McFly. There was a time when Firday meeant something, now it's just another stat on the corporate clock. There were always dances on Friday at high school, a certain energy that I try to remember. Also the TV was great. What I wouldn't give to see All Hit Videos again on Friday or in Canada there was Good Rockin Tonight. Nowadays I can count the amount of times that I have had fun on Friday this year on one hand.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
servo
Senior Rewinder
Member # 2119

- posted      Profile for servo   Email servo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Belvedere!
Posts: 85 | From: Redford | Registered: Nov 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved Friday nights in the 80's, we would always either get a Fox's pizza or pizza from this dive of a place, that this old lady made them in her house, they were only $3 each, and they were the best pizzas on the planet-it is freaky but they still sell them in my home town. We would stay up watching friday night videos, and would walk around town, and pick up guys, we'd always know everybody, and we'd go cruise around with whomever. We'd go to football games, and then walk downtown, and get pizza. Or we'd go to the movies. We would go roller skating, or to a dance, and it was a blast. On Saturday afternoons, a bunch of us would walk to the bowling alley and hang there all day, and play arcade games.We would go to the arcade and play video games all day, and they had soft serve ice cream there, and it was a way to kill a day. There were always guys you liked hanging around, and that was fun, just to hang with your friends and your current boyfriend. We'd ride our bikes all over town, sometimes we'd ride to the drive-in and get an ice cream cone, and then hang at the playground. Sometimes we would just go for walks, and go in to the department stores in town, and buy records or candy. I am bored right now too. My son is reading the book the Hobbit, and I think my mom is watching Animal Planet. There is just nothing on anymore, and things are not the same. I have been telling my mom about this site and she is glad I have found an outlet for all these things I still long for, but that I have a hard time explaining to anyone else. I am glad that you guys miss Friday nights. That's why I had written about going on Nacho Runs, I always had someone coming to get me on a friday night, and we would take off and go get Nachos, and hang out, and see who we would bump in to, and that was so fun. We all loved watching videos and hanging out at each others houses, making popcorn or hot fudge sundaes, and watching movies all night long. Having sleep overs with all your friends, we called up boys too, and thought that was great, we'd give each other facials, and do each others nails, and talk about boys all night and clothes, and music. I miss it!!!!
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heatmeiser
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 2136

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for heatmeiser   Author's Homepage   Email heatmeiser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FRIDAYS with Michael Richards. That was the best show!
Posts: 16 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Nov 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Belvedere, LOL.

Yep, Friday had this allure unlike Saturday. I think it was because it was the end of the school week and we'd be counting the clock and Friday night was a night to celebrate. Horror flicks, Nintendo, Coke and Doritos, falling asleep in front of the tv.

I see us all on the board someday getting together for a flashback blowout Friday night [Smile]

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we should all get together soon, before we're too old to stay up past 8:30PM! Hehehe.

I remember sneeking down to watch movies I wasn't allowed to on HBO with my friends. And we would be so scared. I remember once in the summer, we had watched Alien, and then decided to camp out in the yard, and my brother said he was going in the house to use the bathroom, and took our dog, and never came back, I went in looking for him, and he had gone up to bed, and left me out there, completely freaked out over that movie.

We were always camping out in the yard, making our own tents out of a blanket, and a clothesline. It never failed to rain and cave in on us through the night, and we'd all wake up in a big heap in the middle of the yard.

I remember at Xmas watching the movie Invasions of the Bodysnatchers at my friends, and we made rootbeer floats, and had a blast.

I think I have figured out what it is that makes things so different. When I was young, there were no cell phones or the internet, or all these television stations, that showed all this nasty sleazy programming. You did your own thing with your family, and I was very close to mine, and we just always were doing stuff in our home, not worrying about the rest of the entire world. I find myself getting so upset over things on tv constantly, and there is nothing I can do about it, and you are tied in to the whole world now through the internet and cell phones, and that is the huge difference. I think that is what makes kids now so freaked out..they can't play outside, because some nut will snatch them, and they will be gone..we see it happening on tv all the time. They are plopped in front of tv, with a bunch of junk food, and allowed to watch anything that's on, and their is nothing good on for kids. They also have no role models..I mean look at the sports players now, how many have been accused of some sort of sexual misconduct, or abuse??? Look at the music..like Pink, and Christina Aguilera, Shakira, Britney, Anastasia, the whole bunch of them, what do they have incommon??? What are shows like the Osbournes, and the Real World showing kids??? How about the games like XXX BMX and Grand Theft Auto- how is that like Donkey Kong and Pac-Man? Kids are so much more mean than they were when I was in school. There was always a bully, but not like now...everyone is a bully. It is complete reversal. In a class of 20 you might have had 1 or 2 bullies, now if you have 1 or 2 well behaved nice kids, that is pushing it. When I saw that little piece of the Thanksgiving Reunion-..and the brother said Bite Me Slut! to the sister...I couldn't believe the parents never said a word, they were too busy fighting with each other to pay any attention to what the kids just said.
I hate tv! I really do.

Friday night used to mean Dallas to me too!! Everyday of the week had a good show on regular tv. I just don't understand why tv producers don't realize it either.

I think if they can't come up with anything good, take all the crap off tv, and put reruns of all the old shows on, and just rerun all the same things we grew up with, and see if there isn't a change in the way people behave.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh how I'd love to go back to those Friday nights in the 80s...
We'd hang out together, sometimes watch a movie, order pizza, talk about boys and just feel so safe and without a single worry. It was about just being together, whatever it was that you did. Even if it was just meeting friends at a hamburger place, or just going for walks and aimlessly wandering around. I think that's another major difference to kids now - the main focus is on the computer game or whatever, and not on each other.

How great it would be to have our own rewind-80s-Friday!!! [Smile] I'd definitely hop on a plane to America for that.

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, this post makes me feel really sentimental. Can you imagine the kids of today feeling like we do in 20 years? Let's hope things don't get that bad. I have a question about friday night TV. I distinctly remember 227 and Mr. Belvedre but there was this show that had this female little girl who acted like a robot, and she lived with this family. Anyone know what I am talking about?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
That was just on I love the 80's-they showed clips of it, I can't remember the name of it....I am sure someone else will know it.
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, you all are really bringing on the memories. i was only a kid at the time, but i watched those same shows and did some of the same things you all described. when i think about growing up, i imagine how nice it would be to actually do it all over again. anyway, i loved reading this thread [Smile]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember watching NBC-TV's "Friday Night Videos". The show began in 1983. It was a 90-minute music video show. It was for those who didn't have cable-TV, especially MTV.

I miss that show! (sigh) [Frown]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tallulah
Rewind Curious
Member # 2145

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Tallulah   Email Tallulah   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riptide, I think that show was called, "Small Wonder". I think that was around in the early 90's though. I hope that helps.

quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
Yes, this post makes me feel really sentimental. Can you imagine the kids of today feeling like we do in 20 years? Let's hope things don't get that bad. I have a question about friday night TV. I distinctly remember 227 and Mr. Belvedre but there was this show that had this female little girl who acted like a robot, and she lived with this family. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Posts: 1 | From: Milwaukee | Registered: Nov 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Hallelujah Tallulah! Thanks for that bit of information. Welcome aboard. The little boy in the show looked familiar, he reminded me of Smantha's pesky young brother in 16 Candles. Have to check up on that.
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
Vicky the robot on Small Wonder, LOL.

Little girl was kind of creepy hehe.

Yeah, Friday Night Videos usually had some reasonably big name star introducing the vids. Now the presenters themselves become big stars, i.e. Carson Daly.

Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have said it before in a similar post. But my favorite part of Friday nights in the 80s was The Dukes of Hazard, Dallas, and Falcon Crest. I absolutely loved those shows. Now when you come across one they kind of seem cheesy.

I also remember spending the night with my best friend Heidi. We would always look through the cable guide. We would talk in code about what we were going to watch. We always wanted to watch shows that had nudity in them. Our code word that we said if we were going to watch a show was Jack Lemmon. Why that name I do not know! "Oh yeah, Jack Lemmon is in that one". I guess maybe because he never did any movies like that, thank gosh.

I think our perception of the 80s is so fond because we are the 80s. We are older now and things obviously change. Things are never going to be like they were when we were younger. That is why it is so important for us to hang on them. I am very glad that I am an 80s child!

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of Riptide's message:
quote:
...but there was this show that had this female little girl who acted like a robot, and she lived with this family. Anyone know what I am talking about?
Riptide:

The show was indeed called "Small Wonder", which ran from 1985-1989. It's definitely an 80's show. It was shown syndicated, and not on any particular TV network prime-time schedule.

(For some strange reason, whenever I think of that show, I confuse it with another syndicated 80's show called "Out Of This World"! [Smile] )

The girl who played Vicki the Robot was Tiffany Brissette. She later made appearances on the show "Parker Lewis Can't Lose" (a TV ripoff of the "Ferris Bueller" movie) and another show called "Teen Win, Lose or Draw". Tiffany eventually went to college and left show biz.

Her filmography:
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0109890

Her biography:
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0109890/bio

Hope this helps!

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ERIC 31
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1793

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ERIC 31   Author's Homepage   Email ERIC 31   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NIGHT TRACKS on TBS Superstation!! Remember that? MTV was cool too but every Friday/Saturday night it was Night Tracks!

Of course that was until about 9:30, then it was time to go dancing!

Posts: 87 | From: NOR CAL | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a huge fan of USA Up All Night. I was too young to do anything else. My friends and I would stay up late at my house and watch all the 80s B movies they would show. That was awesome.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
Yeah, who was that girl, Rhonda Shear?? I think.

There was something about the allure of late night Fridays. Dark outside, only light inside is the tv, Night Tracks, VCR Theater on The Movie Channel at 3am, (for us guys) Playboy would sign off at like 2am, sneaking around the neighborhood scarin' the girls.

Yes, it's getting tougher and tougher to deal with that we won't ever get those days back. [Frown]

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
McFly asked about USA's "Up All Night" show:
quote:
Yeah, who was that girl, Rhonda Shear?? I think.
Yes, that was indeed Rhonda Shear (Miss Louisiana 1978) who hosted that show. She just turned 49 last month!

http://www.rhondashear.com

HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the 80s, Friday nights were a "going out" night versus family TV viewing...guess I am showing my age and the fact that the NYS drinking age was 18. I remember all those shows though...used to catch "Dallas" before heading out for 20-something mayhem.

My middle-schooler is obsessed with mullets...snaps to anyone here who proudly wore layers-upon-layers cascading down your shoulders!

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right on hipster! Hahaha! The good ol Kentucky waterfull. Buisness in the front party in the back! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
McFly..I know what you mean about getting further and further away from everything. That's why I love this site, and that's why I go on and on so much. Because we can't ever get it back again, and I myself, would love to go back to my own life and do it all over again, every bit of it. I miss it so much, but you can't get it back, and all you can do is talk about it, and that helps keep it alive in your mind. Some of the stuff I have done, it's like right out of a movie, it was such a blast, and I know I can't ever be like that again, you change and get older, and you just can't pull that stuff off anymore. I'd look pretty goofy doing a chinese firedrill now. I sure wouldn't dare drive around town in my pajamas. You can't even really have fun anymore like we used to, cause we knew everyones families, when my parents would go to their friends to play cards on Friday nights, we'd play with their kids, and we'd eat chips, and watch a movie, and play with all our cool toys. There was always something happening, I always am so amazed at the stuff we got to do-how much we got done in 1 day.. Like tomorrow is Friday again already, what did you guys do all this week? The year 2003 is almost over, and what do you guys remember that was memorable about 2003-that wasn't a scandal of some sort??
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
Yep, here I am again typing at work on Friday and pretty much plan on going home and to bed...cuz I have a Saturday shift this week! Ugh.

But even when I don't, I dunno, everyone is so busy it seems. Everyone's off with their wife/husband/girl/boyfriend/kids and has no time to just lie on the carpet till 1am watching flicks. Even the single ones are always off with their roommates or co-workers.

The closest we come is a Friday or Saturday night out at a bar, swilling till midnight. Then we come home, order Chinese, giggle till we pass out.

Just isn't the same [Frown]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home