iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Some Kind of Wonderful (1987)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some Kind of Wonderful (1987)
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently re-watched Some Kind of Wonderful. Excellent & underrated film; my appreciation for the movie increases with each subsequent viewing.

This film is unfortunately & unfairly compared to PIP. Though the storyline is similar (with a gender change, i.e. Molly Ringwald's character is similar to the Eric Stoltz character in SKOW) I still feel SKOW film stands on it's own & is completely different in structure, characters, etc.

The scenes with Keith's father hassling him to look into colleges (since he was getting close to graduation) really hit home. I was a teen in late high school when this film came out, and I also didn't want to go to college - though my family wanted me to. I did eventually go, and now that I'm much older do appreciate the emphasis on education - it is important. So, I really felt this aspect of the film was very realistic.

The unspoken feelings that Watts had for Keith were very well-handled in the film. The sexual tension was very obvious, especially the kiss they shared in the garage - or when they both lying on the bed in her room. It was obvious what was going on here, even though a lot was left unsaid. This is another poignant & realistic element in the film - i.e., they were friends that grew up together & Keith didn't think of her "in that way" due to the friendship.

The infamous Amanda Jones character (Lea Thompson) was also more than just a cookie-cutter pretty girl that the working-class Keith fell for. She really showed a lot of integrity & class when she wouldn't take the earrings Keith had spent a fortune on - and more importantly, when she convinced Keith to go after Watts at the very end. I.e., it took AJ to make it clear to Keith how Watts really felt about him.

And, of course, any film John Hughes is involved in always has a great soundtrack. Here are two of the best songs from the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSF0n5hHP4A

And this great Elvis Presley cover of CHFIL, that played over the end credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-__OdJ5b6A

[ 06. October 2018, 20:40: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie was one of the best. Right up there with all of the other teen movies from its era. Stoltz is great in this and Lea Thompson looked great too. The casting in this movie was perfect.

"F**k with the bull you get the horns"

Posts: 683 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Granted, I haven't watched this one a lot, since I think it's pretty atrocious. But regarding Amanda being a rich girl.... I don't think so. She seemed to live in the same harborside neighbourhood as Keith and her house weren't flashy either in or outside. She might have been a popular girl in school, but def not rich.
Posts: 1318 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JAY LEE:
But regarding Amanda being a rich girl.... I don't think so. She seemed to live in the same harborside neighbourhood as Keith and her house weren't flashy either in or outside. She might have been a popular girl in school, but def not rich.

Agree about this - I have gone back & modified my post. Amanda was not wealthy, but did hang out with a wealthy crowd & aspired to be like them. However, you're right that she did live in the same neighborhood as Keith, in a modest house, etc.
Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

38 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole point about Amanda was that she had sold out. She wasn't rich, she wasn't from the wealthy side of the tracks, however she had deliberately cultivated friendships with the rich crowd because she believed that was the way for her to go, and so that's how everyone saw her.

Her transformation from fake to real is summed up in one of her final lines: "You know when I said I'd rather be with someone for the wrong reasons, than be alone for the right? I'd rather be right..."

SKOW isn't a 'coming of age' movie as such, but there's a lot of character growth throughout the movie, and so it feels like one. Watts learns to expose her vulnerable side, which she'd always hidden under a tough persona at home and at school. Keith learns that you don't have to accept your 'place' in society, and can be both strong and sensitive - something generally frowned upon in so many 80s teen movies. Amanda decided to break out of the bubble she'd built around herself, even though that meant being alone for the first time. Duncan became ... well, popular, with the people that previously despised and feared him, when he showed his true character. Even Keith's family had their own revelation moments when the stereotypical 'annoying sister / embarrassing dad' personas were thrown out in favour of showing real care when it really mattered.

Add the excellent soundtrack (on which the title music, Dr Mabuse by Propaganda, doesn't even feature on the album) and you've an all round superb movie.

People here know I love this movie, but there are really good reasons why. Hopefully some of that comes across from this post.

Posts: 3657 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 38  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home