iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Parenthood (1989)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Parenthood (1989)
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Author's Homepage   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

(wiki):
Parenthood is a 1989 American comedy-drama film with an ensemble cast that includes Steve Martin, Tom Hulce, Rick Moranis, Martha Plimpton, Joaquin Phoenix, Keanu Reeves, Jason Robards, Mary Steenburgen, and Dianne Wiest.

The film was directed by Ron Howard, who assisted in developing the story with screenwriters Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel. Much of it is based on the family and parenting experiences of Howard, Ganz, Mandel, and producer Brian Grazer, who have at least 17 children among the four of them. Principal photography was filmed in and around Orlando, Florida with some scenes filmed at the University of Florida. It was nominated for two Academy Awards: Dianne Wiest for Best Supporting Actress and Randy Newman for Best Song for "I Love to See You Smile".

The film was adapted into a NBC television series on two separate occasions, in 1990 and again in 2010. While the first series was cancelled after one season, the second series ran for six seasons.

(My 2 cents):
I just re-watched this one again after not seeing for a long while. Of course I still enjoyed the performance of the always funny Steve Martin just like I did when I was younger. He's just a great comic performer who almost never gets old or stale to me.

As great as Steve Martin is in this, the rest of the all-star cast gives some great performances as well. The young and old ensemble cast in this film is definitely a highlight in and of itself. Everyone from the fresh off the Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure movie set Keanu Reeves; to the always lovable, and often times spotlight stealing Rick Moranis; to the charismatic stage presence of veteran actors Diane Weist and Jason Robards. Everyone just meshes incredibly well in this movie.

So this movie has not lost it's charm for me. It's still just as funny and fun to watch now as it was several years back. Maybe even more enjoyable now that I'm older. I can definitely recommend this one to anyone who's looking for a good classic family comedy. And being PG-13, it's fairly safe for almost the whole family to watch, but it does tread pretty close to an R rating at times because of some of the adult humor.

What do you all think of this movie?

[ 04. May 2017, 20:25: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1687 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for this post. I really haven't thought about this movie in a long time. I used to watch it as a kid. Looking back, I feel it was maybe a bit "mature" for my age. I'm sure there would be a lot that I didn't pick up on if I watched it again. I'll have to see if I can find this and give it a rewatch.
Posts: 588 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home