iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Horror Show

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Horror Show
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Detective Lucas McCarthy (Lance Henriksen) finally catches a crazed serial killer called "Meat Cleaver Max" (Brion James) and watches his execution. McCarthy and the others watching the execution are shocked to see Max withstand enough voltage to physically burn his body before finally dying.  Max, however, has made a pact with the devil in order to return from the grave and frame Lucas for a series of grisly murders. 

-

"The Horror Show" is very similar in many ways to the movie "Shocker" and even more surprising is the fact they were both released in 1989.

I enjoy "The Horror Show" and Brion James is great as the bad guy, but it was almost too over the top at times.  What I mean is.. its comedy-horror mixture just felt off to me.  Still fun and entertaining all the same.

-

Lance Henriksen is excellent as the veteran cop that was framed and he really made you believe he was on the verge of losing his mind.    

-

In the 80's, I was never much of a Dedee Pfeiffer fan.. but uncovering roles like "The Midnight Hour" and this film to go along with "Vamp" give me a new appreciation for her work.  

Ronnie might enjoy the "Alien" tribute in one of the scene between Lance and Dedee.  Also, as a "Tuff Turf" fan .. so great to see Matt Clark who played Morgan's dad in this movie.

-

I thought this was crazy at first, but because Sean S. Cunningham was attached to "The Horror Show".. it was distributed as "House III" almost everywhere else but the US.   In fact, producer Sean S. Cunningham, cinematographer Mac Ahlberg and composer Harry Manfredini also worked on the first two "House" films.  

For anyone that has seen "The Horror Show" .. do you think it was purposely trying to ripoff some of the attributes of "A Nightmare On Elm Street"?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember seeing it years ago. I thought it was a LOT like Shocker. At first, I didn't know it was also billed as House III, until I started trying to find info about House III and only getting results for the Horror Show.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own the dvd and it´s a decent movie.
Just like you guys, i also thought it was a lot like Shocker. Just not as good.
I think that it was stupid to make it part of the House franchise here.
The greedy studio SOB´s, always after that one extra buck [Smile]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just watched it for the first time the other day, it was a middle of the road one for me, but my question is, what part of the movie were they basing the title "the horror show" off of? it seems to be a strange title for it

i agree, it was borrowing from nightmare, and a bit of videodrome i believe,

great special effects

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dutch Gannon   Email Dutch Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have seen this one recently for the first time on Netflix instant watch, I've had it on there for awhile but finally decided what the hell. It was alright but it I agree with Valley not the right blend of Comedy and Horror. Brion James I know its not his fault hes awesome, but I think they needed to just lose the comedy and go straight for horror, also Terry Alexander scene where he is dying, he should have got a better take in my opinion. Agian awesome actor totally capable, but I think they must have been in a hurry because he could have done that better, I bet he's p*ssed about that scene.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Nov 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home