iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » 80s Television » Square Pegs (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Square Pegs
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
per Muffy's suggestion, i ordered the show dvd set and received it this morning! [Smile]

i have never seen it..not even a snip. i read some reviews on amazon and people rave about this music used in the show...new wave tunes.. that sounds right up my alley. it's been brought up a lot over the years on the rewind, maybe i was missing out!

anyway, can't wait to get started on it. i will comment more as i watch and/or when i am done.

thanks again muffy. [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister was a huge "Square Pegs" fan.. so I watched it more than I probably would have if not.. but Ronnie is right about the music in the shows. Some incredible tunes and I remember The Waitresses who did the theme song were in the first show that I can remember and then there was another episode that featured the group Devo.

Ronnie when you watch it.. pay close attention to all the posters at the radio station.. I remember really enjoying them.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Square Pegs is one of those I ended up catching as a Saturday morning rerun in the late 80s and loved, then rediscovered on Nick at Nite.....in hmmmmm say about 2003? when I signed up on the Rewind? and since I always loved Jami Gertz (Jersey Girl tv movie!!) choose Muffy Tepperman as my screen name..........how could I not??

-

I'm lucky because Cindy Mancini made dvd transfers of the Nick at Nite episodes and I got to watch those before the dvd release....better then my vhs taped versions ha! Who knew they'd cheap on all the music for the dvd....sad.

So anyway I watched two episodes last night....and the special features on the first disc..........and man they're awesome!

My favorite.....Tracy Nelson and Claudette Wells.
They had so many cool stories to tell, they could still quote lines....plus they became friends filming the show and are still best friends......how cool is that?

-

-

Definitely check this show out people....i'm excited to see what Ronnie thinks never having seen it? If it holds up as well? I just love the humor!

and i'll leave you with.........."I know what boys like........I know what guys want"

-

I know I couldn't help but dance in the background...haha [Big Grin]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also not seen a snippet of this show, but you guys got me interested. Might try to catch an episode or two on line before buying any DVDs though.....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome posting Muffy! Great pics! .. hilarious about you finding a pic of you dancing in the background.

I think having The Waitresses involved from the start really helped with the music selection for the show.. but bummer about the lost of tunes on the dvd release.

Ronnie have you watched any episodes yet?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh man muffy's dancing in the first episode... hilarious!! [Big Grin]

i watched 5 or 6 episodes yesterday. i stopped after the halloween episode which i loved!

the humor is great, i find lauren and patty to be so clueless in the cutest way. they are silly too.

i was going to say, that the girl who plays lauren, she had such a thin face but her body didn't match to me.. so i looked her up and found out she wore padding in the show?...along with the braces.

and i assumed the show was cancelled because the entire season is 20 eps, but i also read it most likely was due to drug use on the set? something like that..

that sucks. it's such a cute show.

jennifer's valley girl talk is annoying, well, maybe not the talk, but her voice ha!
but i love that blue/polka dotted top she wears in the picture muffy posted above.

LD is funny too.. "girrrrrl" [Wink]

i am definitely liking it! it' written very well and i love all the cut-downs!

kev.. i hear ya on not wanting to buy it, i wouldn't have done that, but it was very cheap on amazon.. around 6 or 7 dollars...my only reason for doing it that way.

i love looking at the backgrounds.. the clothes and i haven't heard any music since they first ep with the waitresses. but i am looking forward to the devo ep!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
My favorite.....Tracy Nelson and Claudette Wells.
They had so many cool stories to tell, they could still quote lines....plus they became friends filming the show and are still best friends......how cool is that?

Nose job!

I'm gonna Youtube some of these.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you like it Ronnie....they talk about how awesome the humor was.....when you watch the extras let me know? because they talk about the fact they filmed in Norwalk? and that the suits of the network didn't take alot of participation in the series and that might be why it wasn't renewed?

Logan!!! I feel so bad for my screenshots because it clearly looks that way....that was totally on accident!! [Smile] it's hard to get shots where people don't look half smiled ha.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never even heard of this show until joining here and "meeting" our very own Muffy Tepperman of the rewind. Still haven't seen any episodes yet, but I am curious now.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

whoa...didn't notice that profile shot until i read logan's post.. ha!
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this was one of my favorite shows. i was bummed wwhen it was cancelled.

i think devo played on one of the episodes. that alone is cool enough.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
I just watched the Halloween episode and then skimmed through my old copy.....because I thought for sure there was music playing in the background at the slumber party.........nope,nothing...it was the same.....I'll have to check some of the dinner scenes from other episodes later? [Smile] I'll let you folks know......
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Added this to my Netflix muffy! Will hopefully get it early next week.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
yay! Let us know when you're watching I know you will love it [Big Grin]
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have never heard of this show before, if i were to watch it what could i expect
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never ever forever heard of this and now im feeling all left out, alone and depressed...not really...just curious now and jamie G is pretty hot stuff, so i will see what this whole fuss on the rewind, which seems to be the hot topic at the moment, and go watch a couple of episodes.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Awww Willy you are not left out! haha That's why Ronnie started this post to spread the word!! woo hooo.... hahaha.........so get on it and report back....it really is just a fun quirky show that is fun to watch now for the 80ness and the jokes still hold up. It's free on Hulu people........
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think because the show didn't last long it never left America. Although... I don't recall 'The Facts of Life' ever being shown over here either.

There's only one Muffy Tepperman that really matters, though [Wink]

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Probably one of the best pilot episodes of the 80's.. it kind of had a "Sixteen Candles" feel to it only Sarah Jessica Parker didn't find her Jake Ryan in Larry Simpson.

"Square Pegs" had such witty dialogue .. as a fan of "Valley Girl" my biggest issue with the show was the exaggerate Val speak. Tracy Nelson's character Jennifer annoyed me to the max. ha.

And Muffy .. you choose a great name based on the show.. you are always in charge or at least we let you think it. [Razz]

Marshall cracked me up with all his impersonations and wacky ideas.. and Johnny Slash while an oddball 'like spaghetti and peanut butter' was quite entertaining.

Probably one of the coolest things about going back and watching it now would be getting to see 80's fashion, cassette tapes, boom boxes, 80's shades, walkmans, and musical artists such as The Wattresses and Devo. The set decorations like the creative posters and seasonal decor used were just outstanding.

I think what impressed me the most was how each show had heart. And it reminded me that some of my best memories from high school are from going through it with my best friend.

-

My fav episode was the Halloween slumber party episode.. hey.. you know guys enjoy crashing slumber parties. Plus, they did a cute reference to the movie "Halloween" with the views through a mask. Ms. Loomis (fitting name) was great by pulling out the notes in a bowl game and of course a Ouija board.

I used to know a girl named LaDonna that worked in my office building and I would joke with her that her mom must have been a "Square Pegs" fan. She finally told me that she asked her mom and she loved the show.. but that wasn't where her name came from.. I don't believe her.. do you?

Finally.. the radio station/bedroom posters that I mentioned above to watch for include: Soft Cell, The Tom Tom Club, Modern English, Blondie, The B-52's, The Tubes, Sweet Roma Stranger, .. but the one that always shocked me that was allowed to hang on the wall was Killer Pu*** .

Definitely a show that everyone should check out!

Wait.. Muffy .. remember the episode with the love meter.. where you stood up in front of the class and said that it won't go off no matter who the class said that you loved.. then the class yelled out Muffy Tepperman and it went crazy! [Wink]

[ 27. March 2011, 06:49: Message edited by: Valley ]

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
wow.. I just watched the Devo episode on Hulu.. that was GJWTHF Dance TV's Richard Blade on it! so cool..

This just became my second fav episode..

Everybody it's a good thing!

Really like the fashion at the New Wave bar mitzvah. Lauren looked 80's new wave cool and LaDonna was pretty in pink.

Loved Johnny singing "get back to me.. I'll get back to you!"

I might watch a few more shows!!

Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Awesome Valley!! I really like the Halloween episode! "like look it's the Mandrell sisters"

that's as far as I have gotten re watching.....Seriously Muffy really does stand out doesn't she.........wacky and hilarious! Jami Gertz just plays her so well. [Smile]

and awwww Logan [Embarrassed] haha

[ 27. March 2011, 08:40: Message edited by: Muffy Tepperman ]

Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Just watched Muffy's Bat Mitzvah yesterday...the most recalled episode of Square Pegs for sure....because of DEVO!

Thought i'd make some screenshots for fun to entice those who haven't seen them yet?

-

We translated Valley Girl for the little guatemalan girl, she's gotta invite us......

-

-

only through the back entrance

-

girl this gefilte fish is from the jar

-

everybody.......

-

check Grandma and Grandpa...

Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

i loved seeing the Devo episode!

they were so cool..i don't think i have ever watched them sing anything. it was awesome! [Smile]

then i saw 'hardly working.'.. at first, i thought jennifer's val talk was hard to listen to.. but it totally makes me laugh now.

i also noticed that in some episodes, there is recorded audience when they crack jokes and then in others, it's quiet haha, this show is all over the place.
plus, in the devo episode, they were at the Grease and i heard tunes in the background... what?? ha

Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like, I just watched like, the first episode of Square Pegs last night and I like, loved it [Smile]

Muffy, I giggled when Jami Gertz was like, "hello everyone, I'm Muffy Tepperman." I love her facial expressions..so funny!

I agree with what VAlley said, that the first ep. had a 16 candles feel to it. Can't wait to watch more!

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

glad you liked it, Veronica. i wouldn't have watched this show if it hadn't been for Muffy and Valley.

i love it!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home