iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » What movies have you recently purchased? (Page 42)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 45 pages: 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44  45   
Author Topic: What movies have you recently purchased?
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to upgrade my old dvd of The Blob to blu-ray.. My guess is that a UK edition can't be far away,
with Powerhouse Films and also Eureka raiding the Columbia Tri-Star / Sony vaults.

Here's a couple of highlights from my March package, including these '80s Kino Lorber titles :

-  -

but also this lovely Criterion box-set :

-

All six original Lone Wolf & Cub films from the early '70s, as well as Shogun Assassin (1980), plus extra's !
I test checked these discs, and the transfers look absolutely stunning.. very happy with this one. [Smile]
The one i bought is the UK edition, which is identical to the one they released in the US last november.

I also have Teen Witch, a bunch of recently released 88Films blu-rays (from their Italian Collection),
Walerian Borowczyk's The Story Of Sin (Arrow), and of course the latest from Vinegar Syndrome ! [Cool]

Posts: 2011 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
..and some more :

-  -

Posts: 2011 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Legend
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I picked up another Hitchcock collection with 4 DVDs. Some movies and some episodes of the tv show. Also a 3 DVD collection with Tender Mercies, Frances, and Pleny. I've seen Tender Mercies probably 5 times, but I have not seen the other two.
Posts: 1993 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got two T&A flicks Sensations (1988) and R.S.V.P. (1984). Both more or less Chuck Vincent films so you can expect anything [Big Grin]

-

Posts: 6948 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not seen either of them Atomik but they both look like fun,have Chuck Vincent's Preppies which despite the fairly bad rap it recieves I've always quite enjoyed!

-

Picked up on Blu Ray - Commando - The Director's Cut,The Challenge starring Scott Glenn, new horror thriller Pet starring Dominic Monaghan (Lord Of the Rings) and the 2016 comedy Everybody Wants Some!!

Also on dvd i got the 1988 horror Necromancer starring the beautiful Elizabeth Clayton.

-

Also picked up an 80s handheld videogame -

-

Caveman by Tomy,has a few cosmetic marks but overall for its age it is in a pretty decent condition and most importantly it still plays fine!

https://youtu.be/qXoBuQZfd1g - Caveman handheld review.

[ 17. April 2017, 14:32: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3246 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool stuff aTomik and Warrior. What's the year on the Caveman
Posts: 1526 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.retrogames.co.uk/011658/Handheld/Caveman-by-Tomy-Grandstand - 1982 was the year it came out Terd so definitely going back a while.

It has the odd minor mark on it but i suppose for something that's about 35 years old and was originally probably purchased for an 70s/80s child i've got to expect it!

Posts: 3246 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
I never got a slipcover with my copy of the Everybody Wants Some blu-ray. [Frown]
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
This morning, two Arrow box sets were delivered at Roarke residence.. and they look absolutely gorgeous !

House; The Complete Collection and the Phantasm 1-5 set, complete with sphere replica. [Cool]

The Phantasm box was actually sent to me early, with several online forums still discussing what the actual packaging
will look like, as there's still only the promotional pics Arrow sent out some time ago to get an impression.
A promo video was released last thursday, but it still didn't really show the actual box-set, so i'm super-psyched
to already have this in my house, in The Netherlands of all places ! [Big Grin]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Not got the Phantasm boxset but have picked up the Arrow House collection Johnny and agree it's a terrific set,have watched parts 1&2 so far and transfer wise i'm quite impressed!

Awesome book on the series included as well.

-

Strange how you got no slip with Everybody Wants Some,actually checked it out the other night and though i do prefer Dazed & Confused over it it was still a lot of fun to watch!

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
I'm not sure how it was in the US, but i believe it took some time before Dazed And Confused found its audience in Europe,
as it went fairly unnoticed upon original release. With the way we look at it now it's of course hard to top Dazed And Confused,
but i do think Everybody Wants Some is a movie that will grow on you in years to come.

Regarding the Phantasm box, this was the promotional pic Arrow sent out several weeks ago..

-

The CD sized one-tray digipaks that hold the discs are stacked on the bottom of the outer box. On top of that is a styrofoam block
that carries the sphere replica, while the hefty book (which is NOT a hardcover, as the pic may suggest) stands against the backside
within the box.

[ 23. April 2017, 05:52: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great sets there guys!

Just got few:

The Woman Hunter (1972), Empire of the Ants (1977), Passion (2012), The Mosquito Coast (1986), All That Jazz (1979) and Klansman (1974).

-

Posts: 6948 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
what's that like Passion by Brian De palma have you had chance to check it out yet Atomik?

Took me a little while to notice O J Simpson in The Klansman and to think what become of him,never seen it before and that's one cool cast what with Burton,Marvin plus Linda Evans as well!

That Empire Of The Ants cover rocks and Robert Lansing must have a thing about insects/bugs as he also popped up in the fun 80s cockroach horror The Nest.

[ 24. April 2017, 09:08: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Haven´t seen Passion yet, so many De Palma films to watch before this one [Wink]
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

As of late I have picked up on Blu Ray the Patrick Swayze trucking action flick Black Dog,late 80s horror Hide And Go Shriek and lastly one that I have never seen before and that is the family sci - fi adventure Flight Of The Navigator.

On dvd I grabbed a cheap copy of the 1981 John Schlesinger directed box office fiasco - The Honky Tonk Freeway which I haven't watched for absolutely years now.

Got to be back in the mid to late 80s I think I last watched that!

[ 01. May 2017, 07:29: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have kind of a soft spot for Black Dog, if only because Meat Loaf, a/k/a M.L. Aday, gets to say the line of trucker mythology, "Have you seen him? Have you seen the Black Dog?" [Smile] Interestingly, Kevin Sorbo from TV's Hercules was slated to star, but he got hurt and had to pull out in favor of the late, great Patrick Swayze.
Posts: 2022 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
A fun little action movie Black Dog but I'm surprised that Mr Loaf didn't feature at all anywhere on the soundtrack but the other co star Randy Travis did!

Do prefer Swayze's 80s output (Roadhouse,Next Of Kin etc) but as late 90s action flicks go and one that went straight to home video here in the UK I would say that's it's a definite cut above the norm!

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think people forget that Meat Loaf is a good actor, having started off way, way back in the stage version and later the movie version of The Rocky Horror Show as well two lost favorites, Roadie and Americathon.

Those are some good, fun, mindless action films. I still laugh thinking about Bill Murray and his crazy brothers who will anonymously call Swayze's Roadhouse co-star Kelly Lynch, who is married to their friend writer/producer Mitch Glazer, day or night whenever Roadhouse is on TV and tell her, "Patrick and Kelly are against the rocks" and then hang up. [Smile]

[ 01. May 2017, 13:19: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2022 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Legend
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on the hunt for Roadie in the thrift stores for awhile! I don't think I've seen Black Dog, and I love the Swayze.
Posts: 1993 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Roadie is all but forgotten. It was a complete flop when it was released. I don't think that it gathered much of a cult when it made the rounds of pay-cable back in the 80s, and no one talks about it today. It's definitely one of those films deserving of re-discovery.
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recent purchases:

Dangerous Liaisons
Treasure Island (2012 miniseries from Sky TV, starring Eddie Izzard, Elijah Wood, Philip Glenister and Donald Sutherland)
Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush (1968 comedy starring Barry Evans and Judy Geeson)
Down Periscope (1996) with Kelsey Grammer, Lauren Holly and Rob Schneider
A Fish Called Wanda (1988) with Cleese, Curtis, Palin, Kline etc.
Stir Crazy (1980) with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor

Posts: 3628 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Het Pittsburghgirl, I just saw a copy of Roadhouse on vhs at red racks(its a local thrift store). Instant message me if u want me to pic it up for u. I always liked it. "I'M ON MY BREAK" . That scene crax me up.

Ahhh Stir Crazy Paul. Who woulda thought Grossburger could sing like that

Posts: 1526 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Legend
Member # 7514

Aw thanks Terd. I am actually hunting for Roadie, starring Meat Loaf, from 1980. Thank you anyway! 😊
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

13 Updates!

Hahaha. Im such a terdbrain
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Today i received the German blu-ray edition of Amuck (1972). I know it was also released by 88Films in the UK recently,
but i deliberately waited for this one to keep my Camera Obscura collection complete. [Cool]

Reportedly both releases use the same transfer. Extra's are different though, plus there's a soundtrack CD included
with the Camera Obscura edition.. And like most of their releases it's limited to only 1000 copies, so that's pretty cool.

This topic comprises 45 pages: 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44  45   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home