iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Streets of Fire in London

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Streets of Fire in London
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul and other folks from the UK.. holy smokes .. can you give us all your perspective about the London riots over the last few days.

What are the riots really about? .. news reports say that the riots started over the death of Mark Duggan.. but it seems so much deeper now.

I found this quick little snippet from some action on a side street and it was enough to freak me out about the craziness:

London riots

Stay safe our friends in the UK!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sure looks bad.
I´m just waiting for the announcement that they are cancelling the Premier League season opening [Mad]

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK - my personal take:

This is NOT related to the death of Mark Duggan. That is still being investigated and nobody really knows what happened there, but this isn't anything to do with it. It's sheer opportunism, wanton violence, destruction, and greed. Pure and simple.

They may have used Duggan's death as an excuse to start, but the truth is that this isn't about disafected youths expressing their frustration about their future, it's greedy youths expressing their desire for a stolen iPad.

I have friends and family in the police, and they have the worst job, because they cannot react to the most extreme provocation as they have to stay strictly within the rules - something these thugs have the luxury of ignoring. They hide their heads and faces behind hoods, scarves and shades, so that there will be zero consequences to their actions, and then go out and do whatever they want to whoever they want.

In a country where the police are not armed, where the rule of law is core to the society most of us want to live in, where the opposition politicians and media are keen to hang blame on the police and government rather than condemn the rioters, and where there are far too many namby-pamby liberal do-gooders trying to 'explain and excuse' criminal behaviour, I fall back to a comment I made on another thread a few days ago:

There's never a Terminator around when you need one....

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second Paul's comments here. Whilst the death of Mark Duggan may have been used as a flimsy excuse to start this trouble, listening to thugs who have been interviewed it all seems to be about taking as much as you can from wherever you can. Those poor youths have no money and can't afford the latest trainers, gadgets etc. Well guess what ****ers, there's a worldwide financial crisis and many of cannot afford the niceties in life but rather than whine about it and steal other people's possessions we either go out and earn it or do without!

And if the police are struggling, I know plenty of my fellow boys in green would be willing to step in and provide a bit of military style justice...

Baton Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amaranth
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8882

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for amaranth   Email amaranth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Discussed this on many a forum this week its definetly about greed, London have now decided anyone involved who is in receipt of social housing or benefits will have them taken away if you ask me thats a good call!
All quiet here in Scotland though nobody would dare do that to Glasgow the vigilante groups would have them for breakfast. Was in Glasgow last night and all was calm.

Posts: 456 | From: Scotland uk | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul is right. they are scally wasters that think the world owes them a living. I worked with kids like that for years and in a secure unit for teenagers....they have no morals, no values and no respect. That is the long and short of it really. The lack of discipline, action and bad parenting is to blame. [Mad]
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I echo everyone else here.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I have a dream... that every man, no matter their color or background, has their own 42" plasma tv and the latest sneakers."

Martin Looter King (with credit to Noms on fb)

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haaaaa!!!!

Watched Question Time - apparently some people still think the riots are about 'poverty'. I must've missed the point in human evolution when TV's, the internet, mobile phones, iPods, designer gear, all the food you need, free healthcare, heating, hot / cold water on tap, and free money when you aren't employed could still leave someone categorised as 'poor'. Tell it to someone in Africa who's just watched their children starve to death.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Logan 5:
Haaaaa!!!!

Watched Question Time - apparently some people still think the riots are about 'poverty'. I must've missed the point in human evolution when TV's, the internet, mobile phones, iPods, designer gear, all the food you need, free healthcare, heating, hot / cold water on tap, and free money when you aren't employed could still leave someone categorised as 'poor'. Tell it to someone in Africa who's just watched their children starve to death.

A freakin men to this rant!!!! little buggers should have been slapped silly
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bring back national conscription. Some parents dont know better either and its just too late and impossible to reach out and retrain peoples brains to get of thier behinds and get a life...military service for 2 yrs is my call.

[ 22. August 2011, 07:28: Message edited by: P_a_u_l ]

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home