iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » CGI VS PUPPETRY

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CGI VS PUPPETRY
jdogyeah
Rewind Curious
Member # 7159

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for jdogyeah   Email jdogyeah   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me or are the new dvd movies just to picture perfect? I mean i actually like the grittyness of reel film, like they made it back in the day. All this this new CGI really takes away any emotional connection that actors have to each other and the audience. Thats why i love all the puppetry and animatronics that made 80s movies stand out.eg star wars, ET, Ghostbusters, Labrinyth, gremlins etc nowdays they will just make these creatures on a computer screen. Thats why i think ALL the new star films actually sucked badly!!

What does everybody else think?

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thoughts exactly!
But of course the new x-box generation likes
CGI and stuff like that.

I don´t blame all CGI but they could use
old time puppetry at least once in a while.

[ 11. July 2008, 08:35: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's EXACTLY what I think too.

I think everything today looks like a video game.

Even in movies like the new Die Hard....they over use CGI and make people do things they can't do, and they look like video game characters.

I totally miss how they use to make movies.

I remember watching how they made the movie "The Fog"...it was so cool to see how they created the actual fog in the movie....

they don't do any of that any more, and it looks so fake to me.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I like both. Just as long as the CGI isn't overdone.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love that picture!
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been saying that for a long time. The best example is the Star Wars films. Man I love the original 3 without all the CGI.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear you guys, and I agree to a certain point, but, at the same time, some movies couldn't be made without CGI. You know what I mean?

An example would be the last Spiderman movie, Spiderman III. The scenes with the Sandman couldn't have been done without CGI. I think some movies use too much CGI at times, but there is a place for them. Remember Terminator 2? It was great and wouldn't have been possible without CGI.

Then there's Beowulf. I haven't seen it, but I could tell from the commercials that it was entirely CGI. It doesn't mean that it sucks, but, I have to admit, I didn't run out to watch it...

TKO,

The Cylon was funny... [Big Grin]
[Wink]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A great 80's movie that didn't need the use of CGI is "The Right Stuff". Amazing how they got the space travel scenes without CGI.
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Look at Flash Gordon...it's awesome...I have no clue how they did the stuff in it...but I thought the effects were so cool.
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have a good point that some parts of movies need some CGI. I just hate when it's overdone.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite simply, the 80s movies that had effects and didn't use CGI basically did it because the CGI wasn't good enough back then, or it was too expensive.

Trust me - they very rarely used live stunts or other non-CGI stuff through choice....

CGI, when done well, adds so much to a movie that live- or stop-motion effects can't manage.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I watched Predator last night....and I was thinking about this thread...because there were so many cool special effects in Predator....how was it done??
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A tall actor by the name of Kevin Peter Hall (RIP)dressed up in a Predator outfit......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
I watched Predator last night....and I was thinking about this thread...because there were so many cool special effects in Predator....how was it done??

When I lived in New Jersey I was working at the local pizza shop to put myself through school. There was a guy that used to come in and talk about how he was a special effects guy for all kinds of movies. He was always out of town working on movies in NY and LA etc... None of us believed him but he was a nice fellow so we listened. One day he came in with a photo album of all of the pictures he'd worked on. There he was in the pictures with people like Sylvester Stallone, Harrison Ford, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and the creature from predator. We all stood there feeling like idiots (for not believing him) as he showed us pictures of the retractable arm knifes, it's mechanism, and pictures of the lazer gun thing that's on the predators shoulder etc... He explained that he came up with the idea to make the blades of the knifes (daggers) glow by coating them with some material and then shining an infrared light (I think) on them. This made them look like he was heating them up (glowing) with the lazer beam in his face mask. He also built the lazer beam using high-powered lazers (3 of them)like you find in a pointing lazer device. It was pretty cool seeing the actual pictures of these props. All low-tech stuff. He went on to tell us who he liked and didn't like. From what I remember, he said the Stallone used to sit in his trailer snorting coke and treating the crew like scum. He said his favorite actor was Harrison Ford because he would eat lunch with the crew and was genuinely a nice guy. I always knew Ford was a good guy... [Smile] You know, I should have tried to befriend that guy... Maybe I could be working on cool stuff like that today if I had. [Cool]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Yeah...I knew someone was dressed up in a costume...but how did they do the parts where he blended in to the trees and looked semi invisible?
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Jdoc-that is very cool inside information. I love hearing that kind of stuff. I think people were more creative when there wasn't CGI.
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
there were so many cool special effects in Predator....how was it done??

I'm not sure if they've ever revealed exactly how they actually achieved the "lenticular" predator effect other than Kevin in a red suit. anyone?
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CGI, if done well, wipes the floor with any other type of special effects (particularly evident in the modern Marvel movies).

If done poorly can totally ruin the whole film (The Ang Lee verion of Hulk).

Personally I think each type has its own merits but I still love to watch stunts done with stuntmen and things getting "blown the **** up!"

Noms [Cool]

ps In Predator, how much better would it have been seeing Carl Weather's arm removed digitally than blatantly being able to see him holding it behind his back?

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I thought his arm being shot off was really freaky...it didn't look fake to me...also the scene where Jesse Ventura's chest explodes...that was gross.
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Puh-lease. When he turned round (just before he got impaled) you could clearly see his arm behind his back whilst the prosthetic was hanging off his shoulder. Watch it again and you'll see...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Are you sure you weren't watching Happy Gilmore...

[Confused] [Roll Eyes]

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
If it bleeds we can kill it... [Cool] [Cool] [Razz]
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

Are you sure you weren't watching Happy Gilmore...

[Confused] [Roll Eyes]

Are you sure you've even seen Predator..? [Roll Eyes]

From IMDB

"Revealing mistakes: When Dillon has his arm blown off and the Predator is coming for him, his hand is visible behind his back under his vest as he turns to take off his machine gun."

From Moviemistakes.com

Visible crew/equipment: Mac and Dillon go after the Predator. The Predator is sitting in a tree, and Mac points him out to Dillon. They both agree that they see it and take position. Mac crawls underneath the alien and is killed by his laser. The Predator then sees Dillon and lasers his arm off. Dillon's arm falls to the ground with the gun firing. Quickly Dillon turns and reaches for the machine gun around his neck. When he turns you clearly see his bloody right stump and his right arm sticking out the bottom of his jacket.

Should I go on?

Noms [Cool]

[ 17. July 2008, 02:54: Message edited by: Original Nomster ]

Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jdocster04:
If it bleeds we can kill it... [Cool] [Cool] [Razz]

[Big Grin] what's got billy spooked?

noms - i didn't know that..about dillon's arm hehe i have to check that out, thanks!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by NowhereGirl:

[Big Grin] what's got billy spooked?

heheeeee...

Blain: Bunch of slack-jawed f@ggots around here. This stuff will make you a god damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me.

Poncho: [holds up his grenade launcher] Yeah, strap this on your "sore @ss", Blain.
[Cool]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home