iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » Fright Night Remake (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fright Night Remake
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm hearing from people that this movie was actually awesome. I still haven't even seen the original though!
Get on that - pronto! It will be really interesting to see how you think the two compare coming at them both fresh.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
I love Fright Night! not sure how I feel about the remake only because of Colin Ferall? eh? I've never liked him.

I still want to see part 2!

echoed echoed echoed
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gereally dislike all remakes especially 80s remakes (1 exception The omen) id watch it for a comparison only as u said Logan.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Kreese
Master Rewinder
Member # 9369

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for John Kreese   Email John Kreese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wanted to see it this weekend, but its only showing in 3d in my area, so i'll just have to wait. can't stand 3d.
Posts: 144 | Registered: Jan 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nerdbird
Rewind Curious
Member # 9922

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nerdbird   Email Nerdbird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was kinda exited hoping to see something in theaters. Lately nothing that is showing right now is worth my attention or my money to go and see at the theaters. I did see the trailers, not exited but sad. I did go and see it and was dissapointed. How can they not have played Come to me. And what the hell, thats not the way to treat the original Jerry Dandrigde, Chris Sarandon. The guy that played charlie suck. He wasnt cute or funny. I like Evil Ed. Dont know why they gave charlies mom more time.She wasnt that important. I dont know why it has positive reviews. I give it a 4 out of 10
Posts: 7 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As somebody who's open minded to remakes, I can be honest when I say save your money or just wait and rent the DVD. We saw it last night. Sooo many things wrong with this one IMO.
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw the remake. I thought it was a fun movie. story-wise, it stuck pretty close to the original. The feel of the movie is completely different though. I thought it did a good job "updating" the plot.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree, Veronica!

Personally, I thought it was great. [Smile]

Sorry you didn't like it, Motley? I thought it was pretty close to the original too.. a few changes to the plot, but like Veronica said, it felt updated, in a good way. I was pleasantly surprised!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Welcome to Fright Night .. for real!"

Similar to Ronnie and Veronica, I thought the "Fright Night" remake was excellent. I won't give too much away, but it was definitely a pleasant surprise as Ronnie mentioned.

The "Fright Night" remake stayed true to the essence of the original, yet gave it a modern spin that worked quite well. The humor was perfectly fitting for the horror that would soon follow.

I can understand how a purist to the original "Fright Night" might leave disappointed, but if you go into the remake with an open mind .. I truly feel like you might find yourself thinking "this is a really good movie" as you watch it.

The special effects and makeup were just awesome. And there is a cool cameo for fans of the original.

I'm not really a Colin Farrell fan, but he killed it as 'Jerry' in my opinion. [Cool]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved how they kept some things from the original, like Jerry eating the apple, Ed using the "you're so cool Brewster" line, even Amy's dress at the end was very similar to the original.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Farrell is the only reason I'll end up eventually watching this  -
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
Farrell is the only reason I'll end up eventually watching this  -

No... Helen, seriously?! Is it an Irish thing? 'Cause he always strikes me as something of a lunkhead.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't disagree with that!  -
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
I don't disagree with that!  -

Aaah... so you just find him hunky. How can a Mickey Rourke look-alike ever hope to compete with the greasy oirish chiarm of Colin F?

Helen... you're shattering all my dreams! Yes, you're giving Johnny 'Shattered Dreams'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX-8MHKuQ5I

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
LOL

Especially with long hair. He does amuse me in interviews [Razz]

Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No thanks. If I want to see Fright Night, then I will watch the original.

I don't intend to see the remake. Full stop. [Frown]

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The remake wasn't bad at all. I was never a huge fan of the original. Hated the sequel.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was one of the better crafted remakes of an 80's movie in my opinion. They did a fantastic job of paying tribute to the original while still updating the storyline. I highly recommend it, my only caution is the fact that the original is not sacred to me like several other 80's films. Meaning.. if I had cherished the original more, I might not have been so open-minded to the remake.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched this on DVD yesterday. As is common knowledge around here I am open to most of the remakes that do the rounds and generally find most of them to be at least watchable. I recall seeing the original years ago and thought it was ok. Having watched this I may revisit the original as I thought this was very good, much better than much of the other vampire dross doing the rounds recently.

Colin Farrell was excellent as was David Tennat (although he seemed to be trying to be Russell Brand for much of it).

Noms Night [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did like the "Fright Night" remake, though I don't think that it can really hold a candle to the original. For each of the cool, new innovations of the remake--and you will know them when you see them--they took away two good things that were in the original, for example, most of Evil Ed.

Farrell and Tennant were both very good, with Tennant getting a lot of laughs as a seedy Vegas Cris Angel magician. Yelchin was way too old looking for the juvey lead part, and he and the girlfriend had no chemistry. Still, it's a technically well-done movie with some laughs.

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dutch Gannon   Email Dutch Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched a bit of this the other night on TV and have to say it was everything I though it would be since I heard of it being made.

I thought it stunk.

I didn't like one character in the remake, feeling like they pretty much sucked all of the marrow and charm out of the original and tried to make it more gritty and sexy or their version of sexy which is roughly male and female characters alike openly discussing sex and drugs like it is common place and socialy acceptable all the while spouting obscenties in a bad way that makes them sound like a kid who has just discovered the F word. And we the audience are suppose to accept these characters as more world weary or extreme than the orginal characters because you use the big boy words, and have attitudes? In the words of Bronson Pinchot from Perfect Strangers "Don't be ridiculous"!

Ever since the movie Scream came out, every character in a movie has got some sort of unrealistic confidence just because he has seen a few movies with some monsters in it and he or she knows the rules that accompay said monsters, well I don't care how many movies you see, a monster in your reality is far more frighting if not perlixing, so you can throw out anything you have seen in the movies.

The idea was a bad, even in the film Scream. Characters in the 80's watched black and white films about monsters knew the rules and were still bathled and terrified to face a foe in the flesh.

Jerry Dandgridge lost all of his worldlyness, and sophistication in Colin Farril interpretation and became simply a character from True Blood, and they turned Peter Vincent perhaps the best performance and character from the original into a Russell Brand with a coke habit, and without the comedy I might add.

Peter Vincent was much more interesting when he was a struggling B movie actor past his prime, who was barely able to hold onto his career.

As for Charlie Brewster and his crew of good guys, I think one line defines how much they bring to his flop, and that is "See that is a F**ked up vampire hand, now do you believe me" and says this whilst in the middle of a chase.

P.S. even the mother charcter is written terribly, what woman of that age have you ever met, who would drop the F word, around a girl who is not her own?

[ 14. March 2013, 13:13: Message edited by: Dutch Gannon ]

Posts: 168 | Registered: Nov 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home