iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » Cabbage Patch mania gets ugly

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cabbage Patch mania gets ugly
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember hearing about crazy scenes in malls where people would be fighting over these dolls. Finally found some footage after all these years, naively thinking it was all a myth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4vmyUb6aTU

I will always remember the day I went to Zeller when they just came out. There was an entire wall of them on display. I had no idea what they were and how popular they would be. I guess when I saw that display it was the only time where people didn't pay much attention to them, the calm before the storm so to speak.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh i remember this well too. and the next year they were down in price and you could find them everywhere again in fact i still have 2 preemie babies in my room lol
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother used to work at Kmart, and was literally mobbed by a crowd when he tried to bring some more out after they had rippped through the first display of them. He said that they literally were ripping at them and tore the plastic off of the boxes. If that were going on today, there would probably be another trampling incident like the one at Walmart before Christmas. People are sick when it comes to getting their brats the most popular item each year.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Instead of a book burning I'm going to organize the first

Cabbage Patch Kid, Tickle Me Elmo & Furby burning

People will be allowed to bring in other annoying toys as well

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sammy Reign In Blood Hain:
Instead of a book burning I'm going to organize the first

Cabbage Patch Kid, Tickle Me Elmo & Furby burning

People will be allowed to bring in other annoying toys as well

I'll supply the lighter fluid and matches!

I remember when I was in 4th or 5th grade and all this hype with these dolls was going on. Even some of the boys(hell no, not me!)were playing with them.

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember my cousins would not pay their electric bill- but go buy 3 cabbage patch kids when they would come out. I think they cost $50 a piece even back then.

I never owned 1. I thought they were ugly.

When I was a junior in high school, I decorated our Homeroom Door for a Christmas contest, and I did a whole Cabbage Patch theme....and we won, and our homeroom got a Pizza Party.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a Cabbage Patch...funny story...

My mom was shopping at JC Penney's and saw these huge displays of what she called these "really ugly dolls." She didn't think I'd want one so she didn't get it. Then a few days later Cabbage Patch Mania broke out. My mom and dad tried and tried to get me one but everyone was sold out. One of my mom's friends had bought one for her daughter but then found out she was allergic to it (she wasn't--the mom was one of those super hypochondriac type parents) and my mom bought it from her. I still have mine.

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so Petty are you going to add your Cabbage Patch to my toy burn? [Big Grin]
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sammy Reign In Blood Hain:
so Petty are you going to add your Cabbage Patch to my toy burn? [Big Grin]

Why Sammy what do you think?? [Razz] Of course not! If I had a Tickle Me Elmo I would, LOL. Those things were so annoying.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimpickens
Senior Rewinder
Member # 5801

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jimpickens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or instead you could have a Cabbage Patch, Tickle me Elmo, Furby skeet shoot.
Posts: 64 | From: weston,wv | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EJ Loves Takashi
Master Rewinder
Member # 7767

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for EJ Loves Takashi   Email EJ Loves Takashi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am down for a skeet shoot. My daughter has a cabbage patch doll, and a tickle me elmo. Thankfully no Furby. But she does have these duck named Ming-Ming from Wonder Pets that sings and skates on the floor. I want to rip it to shreds!
Posts: 155 | From: Today Indiana....probably tomorrow too actually! | Registered: Feb 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And also......Beanie babies, almost forgot about them.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got a Furby, and he shorted out, and almost caught on fire, it was pretty creepy.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rainbowbrite22
Given the choice, Duckie would have been Luckie...
Member # 2288

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rainbowbrite22   Author's Homepage   Email Rainbowbrite22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i remember wanted a cabbage patch doll so bad but we were real middle class when i was growing up my mom worked at walmart and someone had returned one so she snatchted it up and put it on layway with all of our other xmas gifts and i was so excited on christmas morning well a few days after my parents put the gifts in our big tree outside and said santa dropped them it was really cute and fun to go grab our presents from outside my mom always made xmas nice for us
Posts: 1270 | From: GA the peachie state :) | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never got into the whole "Cabbage Patch Kid" craze; I always thought they were just overrated dolls. I guess being an early teen when these were big had something to do with this.

I did like the "Garbage Pail Kid" stickers that came out around the same time, since they were making fun of the whole CPK craze.

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home