iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » The Smiths

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Smiths
Canyoudigit The Sequel
Master Rewinder
Member # 4506

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit The Sequel   Email Canyoudigit The Sequel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on rewinders, The Smiths have got to be the band of the 80's. Wonderful, tragic, humurous and catchy 80's Manc charm.

"I was looking for a job and then found a job and heaven knows I'm miserable now"

Posts: 109 | From: Bopping my way back to Coney! | Registered: Jan 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love them and all my friends hate them. Go figure.

I love to listen to THE SMITHS while I clean the house. I sing along LOUDLY and my husband looks like he's died and gone to Hell.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to admitt but i really dig The SMITHS "Girlfriend In A Coma" is kinda catchy..wierd but catchy [Smile] there music sort of relaxes me
Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to listen to 'The Smiths' whenever I'm coding. I get the same reaction that everybody else seems to get, calls of "Turn that f**king s**t off"

lol

Honestly, some people don't have any taste.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An amazing band for the 80's, they never sounded dated and were so influential. Morrissey's lyrics and Marr's stunning guitar work was unbeatable. The Queen is Dead is such a masterpiece of an album, including the stunner at the end, There is a Light that never goes out. Too many other favorite songs to mention.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beloch
Rewind Curious
Member # 6073

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Beloch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been listening to them since '84 and have never gotten sick of them. As much as I loved Morrissey's singing and lyrics, Johnny Marr's music was masterful. I often wish I could somehow delete the vocals and just listen to the music alone...it's that good to me.
Posts: 5 | From: Seattle | Registered: Oct 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guy's, girl's,

What are some of their "best known" hits?

Thanks...

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can anyone NOT love The Smiths? My fave song is "This charming man" but they hark back to the days when you loved the whole album as opposed to just a couple of songs. "Hand in Glove" is awesome too. And I would probably bore you to death with all of their other singles.

If you like The Smiths style but are not sure then listen to The Killers, Razorlight, End of Fashion, etc. The Smiths were cutting edge and punk at the time but today they seem quite mainstream. They wrote beautiful music though and if you feel like graduating I suggest an album by The Clash.

The Smiths wrote "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want" from Pretty in Pink. Along with the Psychadelic Furs, and (dare I even put them in the same category) the Sex Pistols and The Clash, were part of the new wave coming out of Britain.

Molly Ringwald was part of this revolution because she shared John Hughes "avante garde" taste in music and both championed the works of The Clash, Psychadelic Furs, The Smiths, The Cure, etc..She very much distances herself from her 80s persona these days.

However, rumour has it she fought for the Psychadelic Furs to be included on the soundtrack - so snaps to her. Also - don't know a person alive who doesn't love a Cure song.

Saw them recently - they were awesome. If I wer married to Robert Smith I would make him sing me a lullaby every night - despite cigarettes, alcohol, drugs (in the past) - the man has perfect pitch. And how many concerts do you ever go to where the headliner plays three hours without a break and no warm up? I mean - these guys are in their 40s - they played three hours without a break..........Love them.....

It doesn't seem that long ago???

Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the Smiths! When we saw Motley Crue back in 2005 and Van Halen last week, they both played three hours. That's one thing these days that's different is concert length. We went to see NIN and they only played for 2 hours. Love the band but the concert could have went longer.......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pearwater
Rewinder
Member # 6093

11 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for pearwater   Email pearwater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Johnny Marr is LEGEND.

Not sure about all the 'Daffodils in my back pocket'stuff, but they were a great group and added greatly to the eighties music scene.
Their music still stands the test of time today.
Unlike the band 'Mental As Anything'
Hey!I'm kidding!'Live It Up' was a great track!

Posts: 47 | From: Yorkshire,England | Registered: Oct 2007 | Site Updates: 11  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just recently started to like both The Smiths and The Cure. Probably like The Cure more but still liking The Smiths quite a lot right now.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Between The Smiths, The Cure, and The Clash, there was good music for every mood you could think of. The Smiths catered for the mildly depressive end of the scale, as I recall..... [Cool]

Oh - and BTW - nice to hear from you, Sam!

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Louden Swain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh it's so nice to see other fans of The Smiths!

I wasn't into them too much in the late 80s but have gone insane for them these last seven years....that also goes for Moz's solo stuff.

I think my favorite album is Strangeways, Here We Come and yes Johnny Marr is an excellent guitarist.

I can't think of a Smith's song that I don't like.
Bigmouth Strikes Again
Death of a Disco Dancer
Unhappy Birthday
Reel Around The Fountain
OK,OK I'll stop....

Moz's 2004 "You are The Quarry" was excellent. 2006's "Ringleader of The Tormentors was so-so.

I could babble on and on and sound like a fool but it's very cool to talk with fellow Smith fans.

Posts: 245 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still love the Smiths, but the past few years I have come to realise the importance of bands who were kind of pre-cursors to the Smiths. They didn't have the record sales, and the adulation but Scottish groups like the Associates and Orange Juice and even Liverpool's White Swans really had something Marr and Morrissey could build on. I also found out that the song William it was really nothing was a tribute to Associates singer Billy Mackenzie.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home