iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Will Good Bands ever come back?? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Will Good Bands ever come back??
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Isis, "So Into You" is by the Atlanta Rhythm Section.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Louden Swain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a "new wave" of bands out right now with an 80s sound to them and they cite many 80s bands as their influences:

The Killers
The Bravery
Franz Ferdinand
The Kaiser Chiefs
Scissor Sisters
Snow Patrol

Posts: 245 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!! Thank you Devo! I could not find that song at all anywhere...I want to get it.

I just looked up the lyrics to see if I was close...

So Into You
Atlantic Rhythm Section

When you walked into the room
There was voodoo in the vibes
I was captured by your style
But I could not get your eyes
Now I stand here helplessly
Hoping you'll get into me

I am so into you
I can't think of nothing else
I am so into you
I can't think of nothing else
Thinkin' how it's gonna be
Whenever I get you next to me
It's gonna be good
Don't you know
From your head to toe
Gonna love you all over
Over and over
Me into you, you into me
Me into you

I'm so into you
I'm so into you......

When you walked into the room
There was voodoo in the vibes
I was captured by your style
But I could not get your eyes
Now I stand here helplessly
Hopin' you'll get into me

I am so into you
I can't get to nothing else
I am so into you, baby
I can't get to nothing else, no, no, no
Come on baby
I'm so into you
Love the things you do
Listen, baby
You're driving me crazy
Come on baby
I'm so into you
Love the things you do

That is a great song, does anyone else know it and like it?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Illnero
Master Rewinder
Member # 4286

- posted      Profile for Illnero   Email Illnero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Franz Ferdinand is ok, but the Killers are the most boring band I've ever seen. And their so-called rivalry with The Bravery...has about as much relevance as mentioning Reebok's Dan or Dave campaign from the 1990s. Both bands just ape so much off of New Order: the Bravery listening to Blue Monday while the Killers listened to the Getready album.
Posts: 154 | From: between wash and spin | Registered: Aug 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Ah, I tend to disagree, but you opinion is cool. The Killers just sounded different. They were the first band that sounded like something that people could get into in a while. As for Dan and Dave. Shame that Dan didn't even make the Olympics.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Illnero
Master Rewinder
Member # 4286

- posted      Profile for Illnero   Email Illnero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, they sound a bit different. When I meant boring, I was lamenting about seeing them live in Atlanta last year. I had a friend tell me that since I like New Order I might like them. I'm watching the whole show and seeing this band on stage, who I think is like a boring opening act when my buddy turns to me and asks if I enjoyed. I say "That was them? That was the band I was supposed to like?" I was distraught.

Although, if you play "Smile Like You Mean It" during the scenes in "Pretty In Pink" where OMD's "If You Leave" plays, it works quite nicely.

Posts: 154 | From: between wash and spin | Registered: Aug 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Killers have some catchy tunes, but they are not as good live as their records. The Bravery are the better live band in my opinion. The best of these retro groups is Stellastar. I saw them friday night and they get better each time. Just a fanastic band that have the sound, tunes, and looks in spades. They sound a bit like the Pixies, Duran Duran, even Big Country, but they have their own sound too. Another good band is Epoxies who have some Devones in their sound, really smart , playful songs that anyone who is into new wave would like.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a perfect example of what I am talking about, I go to leave to get my son from school today, and I turn the radio on and Bowling for Soup's "1985" was playing, and I thought yuck, it sounds even worse now than it did when it first came out....so I flip through the stations to a classic rock station, and We will Rock you" by Queen just started playing, and I thought...this is what I mean, that song is a song that no matter how many times I have heard it, I don't ever get sick of it, and I crank it up, and it totally puts me in a great mood. That to me is what music should always be about.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There will never be a band to come around that matches Queen. That's sounds a bit biased I guess...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Devolution here,

Is anyone else a bit nervous about Queen going on tour again?

We are DEVO

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home