iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » The Psychedelic Furs (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Psychedelic Furs
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that would be way too awesome, so awesome that i would o-d from too much awesomeness. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought this was cool news.. Deborah Foreman is going to be in an upcoming 'She Wants Revenge' music video.

I saw She Wants Revenge in concert with The Psychedelic Furs and they were awesome. Their music stands on its own, but you can tell they are influenced by groups like The Furs and Depeche Mode.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big fan of '80's music (obviously), and I know everyone has heard of the great "Psychedelic Furs" - primarily because of the popularity of their "Pretty in Pink" song - which was connected to the iconic 1986 film of the same name.

However, the Furs deserve to be known for much more than just that one song. They were an iconic, ground-breaking new wave/punk'80's group that had a lot of other amazing tracks, including: Love My Way; Heartbreak Beat; The Ghost in You; In My Head; Sister Europe; Heaven; All of This & Nothing; All that money wants; Highwire Days; There's a Word - and many others.

A very comprehensive "Best of" to get is the 2-CD PF "Retrospective" set that came out in 1997. Unfortunately, that's currently OOP. I used to have this, but listened to this so much that the CD's got scratched, and I had to get rid of them...

[ 11. August 2017, 15:51: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 382 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talk Talk Talk is my favourite album.

You know that I (kinda) know them, right?

Posts: 3624 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Legend
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going to see them on April 14th!
Posts: 1981 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always nagging them to come back over to the UK.

Jealous of ya, Pittsburghgirl! You'll have a blast!

Posts: 3624 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Legend
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the Psychedelic Furs last night, for the first time. They played at a venue called Mr. Small's, which is a church converted to a concert venue. I have to say, this was one of the best shows I have ever been to. The band sounded phenomenal. I felt like I took a step back in time. It was my best friend and me. There were two girls behind us who I thought could've walked off the set of the movie Less Than Zero. They weren't dressed 80's or anything like that, but they just had a valley girl vibe and they were so much fun. All in all, my BFF and I had a blast! If they ever come back to Pittsburgh, I will definitely go see them again! Loved the show!
Posts: 1981 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
I saw the Psychedelic Furs last night, for the first time. They played at a venue called Mr. Small's, which is a church converted to a concert venue. I have to say, this was one of the best shows I have ever been to. The band sounded phenomenal. I felt like I took a step back in time. It was my best friend and me. There were two girls behind us who I thought could've walked off the set of the movie Less Than Zero. They weren't dressed 80's or anything like that, but they just had a valley girl vibe and they were so much fun. All in all, my BFF and I had a blast! If they ever come back to Pittsburgh, I will definitely go see them again! Loved the show!

Great to hear - I never saw many bands in concert, and never saw the Furs live. I'm sure they put on a great show - it sounds like you were at least temporarily transported back to the '80's during the concert - very cool [Wink]

[ 16. April 2017, 10:34: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 382 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Legend
Member # 7514

Thanks Nostalgic! I have been to I would estimate about 150-200 concerts. The tops that stick in my mind are Iron Maiden, Psychedelic Furs, and one of my first shows, Quiet Riot, in my hometown. I am amazed at the professionalism and showmanship of the English bands (i.e. The Furs and Iron Maiden) compared to popular 80's U.S bands today. A lot of U.S. bands feel and sound as though they are only waiting for the paycheck. A good example would be Motley Crue! A singer who could never sing, the lead guitarist is horribly crippled yet they still prop him up somehow to "play" and a bassist who can't play and drummer who makes fun of anyone over 40, when he is in his mid 50's! Lol.
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Psychedelic Furs touring the U.K. In September....

If you're around, hit me up at the London gig!

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Really looking forward to the Furs gig now. I'm meeting up with long-time rewinder Duckie Dale Winton at the gig, and they have just announced the decidedly weird and wonderful lene Lovich as support [Smile]
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
Very cool news. It's great to hear that these old '80's bands are still around & still touring. I'm sure the Furs probably have fans now that weren't even born when they were first recording/producing their songs back in the day.

Here's a clip of them singing "Ghost in You" live at a smaller venue @ - I think it may be from around 2001:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltz2BuszIR4

Ghost in You is one of my favorite Furs songs; very haunting & poignant.

quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
A lot of U.S. bands feel and sound as though they are only waiting for the paycheck. A good example would be Motley Crue! A singer who could never sing, the lead guitarist is horribly crippled yet they still prop him up somehow to "play" and a bassist who can't play and drummer who makes fun of anyone over 40, when he is in his mid 50's! Lol.

Agreed. I was never much of a Crue fan. They're an extremely overrated band that should be largely forgotten these days. The only album of them I really liked was "Dr. Feelgood" (1989). Great CD. However, other than that, I think most of their other songs are fairly standard.

[ 30. June 2017, 20:17: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by P_a_u_l:
Really looking forward to the Furs gig now. I'm meeting up with long-time rewinder Duckie Dale Winton at the gig, and they have just announced the decidedly weird and wonderful lene Lovich as support [Smile]

Just to stir things a little more for you all, I've just had a chat with my friend Paul (as in Paul Garisto, the drummer of the Furs) who is kindly arranging after-show access for myself and the Duckster, so hopefully we'll get some good pics of the gig and maybe a rewind selfie with the guys!
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Legend
Member # 7514

That's awesome! He walked right past me as I was taking a picture of their bus, lol! Enjoy the show!
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
Sounds great, guys. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time. Even though their music is over 30 years old, the Furs definitely kick @$$ much more than most modern groups - and they were better than most of the '80's rock/pop groups as well [Wink]

Earlier today, I listened to the PIP soundtrack; and, now I'm listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXfXTB7UcuU&list=RDRXfXTB7UcuU#t=0

[ 11. August 2017, 15:57: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Any UK / London based rewinders, I currently have a couple of tickets for this Saturday's gig I'm trying to sell. Let me know if there's any interest? either here via PM, or on riserdrummer@gmail.com
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So lucky to have seen the Furs. Somehow they have eluded me, but I did see Echo and the Bunnymen in August.
Posts: 4412 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Man, what an awesome gig that was. Utterly superb.

Great to meet up with fellow Rewinder Duckie Dale winton at last, spending the afternoon and evening chatting away like real old friends, and surprised at the gig to meet my old mate and 80s music professional Robbie, who tours the world with Howard Jones these days. Had a nice long chat afterwards with Paul Garisto, one of the most brilliant drummers, and the legend that is Richard Butler.

All in all, truly memorable and can't wait till the next time!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home