iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Echo and the Bunnymen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Echo and the Bunnymen
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just recently found out that they played the entire Ocean Rain album , from first to last song, over in England. i think it was at the Royal Albert Hall.

they are doing the same thing in atlantic city. they are playing a greatest hits set first, then doing the entire album. i would love to go see this. i wish i wasn't so broke. this band is criminally underated as far as alternative 80's bands go.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've loved them a while now, I saw them in 2003 and it was so great to finally see them after all these years. Ocean Rain is such a terrific album, the title track is one of those lost classic epics that is amazing live. Ian Mac's voice isn't what it used to be, but the guitarist Will Sargeant is really spot on.

I find a lot of bands are doing entire album setlists lately. In July I saw Public Enemy do their masterpiece a Nation of Millions to Hold us back in it's entirety.

Echo and the Bunnymen are one of several bands I love who don't get enough recognition, groups like Comsat Angels, Chameleons, For Against, Sad Lovers and Giants, March Violets, And Also the Trees, Random Hold, even Magazine and Killing Joke don't get enough attention.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
I've loved them a while now, I saw them in 2003 and it was so great to finally see them after all these years. Ocean Rain is such a terrific album, the title track is one of those lost classic epics that is amazing live. Ian Mac's voice isn't what it used to be, but the guitarist Will Sargeant is really spot on.

I find a lot of bands are doing entire album setlists lately. In July I saw Public Enemy do their masterpiece a Nation of Millions to Hold us back in it's entirety.

Echo and the Bunnymen are one of several bands I love who don't get enough recognition, groups like Comsat Angels, Chameleons, For Against, Sad Lovers and Giants, March Violets, And Also the Trees, Random Hold, even Magazine and Killing Joke don't get enough attention.

i believe killing joke are playing two shows in NYC this weekend and from what i remember they are only playing stuff off of the first two albums. i could be wrong about that though. killing joke are one of my favorite bands.

i have to be honest, i didn't recognize any of the other bands you mentioned, which i guess makes your point all the more valid.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I would love to see those KJ shows, i saw them in 2003 as well, they are still a great band. Was really saddened when I found out this year that their bassist Raven died, I think the original one Youth is back in the group. I always thought their guitarist Geordie was vastly underrated, his guitar tone has always been one to die for. Really aggressive and political band that was so influential on groups like Ministry.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
Man, I would love to see those KJ shows, i saw them in 2003 as well, they are still a great band. Was really saddened when I found out this year that their bassist Raven died, I think the original one Youth is back in the group. I always thought their guitarist Geordie was vastly underrated, his guitar tone has always been one to die for. Really aggressive and political band that was so influential on groups like Ministry.

the first killing joke album should be considered one of the greatest albums ever. every song kills. i think Nightime is vastly underated too.

and ministry should thank KJ for figuring out their sound. the first ministry album was dancey garbage. i think the next one was Land of Rape and Honey. that album kills, along with The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste. i'm sure the guys in ministry would agree.

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
The debut is a classic, I love that intro to Requiem, Wardance and Complications are amazing as well. You can't got wrong with the first 4-5 IMO. Outside the Gate was a mis-step. But they came back with a vengeance with Extremities, Dirt and Repressed emotions, their heaviest and arguably best album. Amazing that their music still holds up, when I hear Money is not our God, it might as well be talking of today's sorry state of affairs. Nightime might be my favorite and most listened KJ album, I can listen to it front to back and I always find it very puzzling I never see it on any best 80's albums lists. I think what hurt them was it was almost like they were on that dividing line between punk and industrial, you couldn't categorize them as easliy as Crass or something. Although Love like Blood won them more mainstream fans. They were really influenced by Public Image Limited when they came out, but they really surpassed them IMO.
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
two short reviews of the killing joke shows this weekend:

quote:
Last night was ****ing amazing.
They played for about 2 hours.
They did a special performance of 'Love Like Blood'
in dedication to Paul Raven.
Will be going again tonight.

quote:
Saturday--two friggin hours of Joke. Amazing show...Paul Ferguson to me is one of the best friggin drummers out there I've heard in a long time. That guy's got so much power behind the skins. Love Like Blood was great, glad to hear "Madness" from what's this for.

Sunday--Not as good as Saturday...the heavier stuff from the Pandemonium album was played incredibly. But the set was shorter, bout 15 songs.

The new track they played "Strange People From The Sky" sounded like a heavier Fire Dances era tune.

Overall both nights, ****ing insane A+ weekend.

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
OMG, they played Madness? That's an incredible tune from the second album, never heard them play that one. Wish so much I could have seen them again. b
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You went to both shows xchazx? Nice.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by 80'sRocked:
You went to both shows xchazx? Nice.

oh no, i'm far too poor and anti-social for that. i'm better off just complaining about all these great shows that i miss. those weren't my reviews, i just posted them from another website. killing joke are so awesome, i'm glad those shows went well.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home