iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Noms' Metal ALBUM of the 80's...errm..of the day!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Noms' Metal ALBUM of the 80's...errm..of the day!!
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I decided to rethink my counter argument from the metal band of the 80's to the metal albums of the 80's. This way people couldn't get upset if I mentioned a band that actually became more popular or well known after the 80's.

Anyway, after Vio-lence's Eternal Nightmare yesterday, I strongly urge true thrash freaks to listen to this...

-

Ok, its an obvious starter but I don't wanna make you all lose interest too quickly.

Forget all you know about Metallica if the first time you heard them was on Enter Sandman. This album is the real deal and still kicks the **** out of any of the **** being released today.

Go on! Get it

Noms [Cool]

ps I have all the albums I will be listing available if anyone uses Soulseek and wants them. pm me for the info...

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
awesome album.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Master of Puppets is one of the definitive albums of Californian metal, let alone metal. The guitar tone is oft-imitated, and although it gets into a little bit too much repitition sometimes, the content is good enough to make up for it.

One of my favorites, behind Mindcrime and Images.

Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit.   Email Canyoudigit.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best tracks Metallica have commited to vinyl are Green Hell & Last Caress. [Big Grin]

So all you metal-heads can be punks for 6 minutes, come on you know you love it.

-

Posts: 515 | From: Protector of the 80's Ladies. | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
absolutely.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some good feedback there and yes Geen Hell and Last Caress were excellent...but...the best tracks Metallica ever committed to vinyl? No way! I enjoy their covers as much as anyone but you have to think Four Horsemen, Fade To Black, Battery, One etc as the best songs they have done. Besides So What and Am I Evil were their best covers...

Anyway...

The album of the day today is....
 - Testament - Practice What You Preach.

I know, I Know. Many will claim The New Order was Testament's finest hour, but Practice for me showed the band reaching a more mature, more defined sound that took them away from the "Metallica clone" label many seemed to have given them.

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI - Master Of Puppets is (currently) #49 on the Best Selling Albums of the 80s list. I have a book at home, I'll post a few more stats later (and also some other notable albums and their placings)
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richie
Master Rewinder
Member # 3527

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Master was their best effort ever! Justice was a close second but there was no Cliff there and one could tell for sure! In a certain junior high class we used to sing:

DRAFTER
DRAFTER
Drawing plans that we've been after
DRAFTER!

Posts: 248 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to see Hayseed Dixie last night in Nottingham....it was bloody brilliant....there was a really good support act called Viking Skulls, they were like ACDC, and Judas Priest all rolled in to one, but they were all young guys....they are definatly worth a listen, the drummer span his drum sticks and everything....quality entertainment all round. I'm off to the viking Skulls web site to see if I can buy their CD. http://www.vikingskull.com/

ps Noms....I'm loving your metal album of the day feature.....its all about the rock baby [Cool]

[ 31. January 2005, 05:42: Message edited by: Earth Angel ]

Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definetely prefer Practice to all the other albums, the first two were too immature with the songwriting, and the next two simply lack the content of Practice. There is no glorious song, just alot of high quality ones, which is something I find is important. Testament rocks.
Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit.   Email Canyoudigit.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about real rock legands like Sabbath & Purple.

I went to see the Clash Of The Titans tour years ago, Megadeth,Suicidal Tendencies, Slayer & Testament. My pal at the time was a huge metal freak and i went to all the gigs with him.

The guy in Testament looks like the Indian dude from One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.

Posts: 515 | From: Protector of the 80's Ladies. | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

Today's offering is a little more extreme...

-

Sabbat were not that popular but man could they thrash....

Noms [Cool]

Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
Sabbat! Do not hear too much about them. Like most, I found them by backtracking through either Sneap or Walkyier (mine was Walkyier, I'm a huge Skyclad fan). It's amazing to hear Sneap instill huge production values into stuff like Nevermore's Dead Heart, after listening to the harsh guitar tone on Dreamweaver.

Do Dark Horses Dream Of Nightmares? is a pretty rocking tune, though.

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

Give it up for...

-

Not necessarily in keeping with the albums I have previously posted but still a damn fine album nonetheless. Surprise! You're Dead!! Is one of my all time fave songs....

Noms [Cool]

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

I love the song Zombie Eaters of that album.
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

whenever I hear the song "Epic" by Faith No More I always vision a goldfish flopping around on the ground.
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love the piano ending to epic. i can play it pretty good. [Big Grin]

but back to master of puppets...
OBEY YOUR MASTER! MASTER! uuuh, that song pumps me up. good album.
when it comes to the black album, i can say that every song on it, reminds me of a different moment in 7th grade. oh the rebel i was. [Wink]

speaking of the great metallica, has anyone seen SOME KIND OF MONSTER, the new movie that's out?

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Faith No More, The Real Thing. As a Sophomore in high school I listened to that album every second that I could. The whole thing is on my IPOD. In truth, it is actually the 16th CD I ever bought. (My CD's are in Chronological order of purchase.) Nonetheless, It totally rocks. Zombie Eaters is also my favorite song on that album.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

Second best Metal album of all time...

-

'Nuff said!

Noms [Cool]

Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
That's not even my favorite Slayer album, I'd take Seasons and South before it. Nothing stands up to War Ensemble, Seasons in the Abyss, Blood Red and Spirit in Black. Not even Angel of Death.
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

You, sir, are a misguided fool with absolutely no taste in thrash metal [Wink]

Noms [Cool]

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

I would rate Divine Intervention as a better album than the two that you mentioned because it was a return to the type of music that set Slayer apart from the rest. Fast, powerful, aggressive metal!

The only song I would pick off of both your choices would be Dead Skin Mask, and that's purely because of the whimpering boy at the end.

Noms [Cool]

Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
Come on, Divine? Divine was like Reign 2... and not in a good way. It was like Back to the Future 2 to Reign's Back to the Future. The only songs on Divine that I can deal with is Serenity In Murder, Circle of Beliefs, and Dittohead. And none of them are as good as Silent Scream off South of Heaven.

Probably the main reason why I like South of Heaven is because of Lombardo's drumming, it was absolutely spectacular. On the first three albums, the only real time he had to shine was doing those lightning fills... he simply tears it up on South. And as for Seasons, the songs are just better. They haven't written anything as good as War Ensemble since.

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

The first 2 albums Slayer did were not particularly good when you listen to them now. Reign in Blood still blows me away everytime I hear it, and I'd rather put that on than Seasons or South Of Heaven. Those 2 albums were a band slowing down and not sticking to what they know.

War Ensemble was great the first few times I heard it and is still a good song live but I just cannot listen to it that often anymore.

Divine Intervention was the band doing what they do best, and a return to Reign in Blood style aggression was a good thing. I love every thing Slayer have done since then but if I listen to your 2 chosen albums then there are probably only 3 songs between them that I would listen to.

Reign in Blood is considered a classic by most who have heard it and Slayer obviously still consider it their best work (they played the whole album in full live recently as a treat to their fans. If they did that with Seasons, the mosh pit would soon empty whilst people went for a drink or something).

I know Thrash and in my humble yet honest opinion, I stand by my verdict that Reign In Blood is the 2nd best album ever made.

Noms [Cool]

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

Seriously listen to yourselves; theres no such thing is bad Slayer. Slayer on their worst day is better than 90% of other bands on their best day.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home