iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Toy Soldiers (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Toy Soldiers
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to be confused with "Small Soldiers", but does anyone else like the movie "Toy Soldiers" with Sean Astin & Keith Coogan. When terrorists sieze control of a boarding school, a group of trouble-making boys decide to resist them. I know the premise is a little contrived, but I still watch it everytime I see it on tv.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah it's a guilty pleasure of mine as well.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Toy Soldiers but I haven't watched it in years. It also had Wesley Crusher (Wil Weaton), Denholm Elliot and (I think) Lou Gossett Jr.

I think I'll have to dust of the old VCR tonight and watch it again!

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it too. There's a scene at the beginning where a terorist throws a priest out of an airplane.. You can tell he's got quite a hump on his back (obviously because of the parachute under his jacket).
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brandon777
Master Rewinder
Member # 4014

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brandon777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watch it every time it comes on tv too. I like this movie a lot. I like the part when Sean Astin sneaks out with info and has to get back in time for the head count.
Posts: 239 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Decent movie but I prefer Taps instead.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

When you mess up, they make you do Pots and Pans.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looked more like a skillet to me, but still effective!

Great, the school gets taken over by terrorists and I'm still on pots and pans.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I thought it was a great movie. And I believe Louis Gossett, Jr. was in it. I used to have this big crush on Keith Coogan...
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
A Keith Coogan fan...then you must like "Hiding Out" and "Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead". I'm kind of surprised he hasn't made a Ronald McDonald Miller tv series comeback move yet. I thought he was great in the movie "Adventures in Babysitting"...btw, what's his deal with babysitters. [Razz] [Big Grin]
Blake
Ace Rewinder
Member # 75

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what ever happened to him he just stopped acting i know he was in some straight to video rubbish but i think he is a really good actor he should fire his agent (i bet he has already thats why you never see him)

p.s i LOVED toy soldiers

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
A Keith Coogan fan...then you must like "Hiding Out" and "Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead". I'm kind of surprised he hasn't made a Ronald McDonald Miller tv series comeback move yet. I thought he was great in the movie "Adventures in Babysitting"...btw, what's his deal with babysitters. [Razz] [Big Grin]

I LOVE Don't Tell Mom the Baby-sitter's Dead!!!!! Hiding Out was just okay, IMO.

The last thing I saw him in was some dumb Pauly Shore movie...the one where Pauly joined the army or something? Anyway, he had a VERY small bit part at the end. I'm not sure if he's been in anything else or not.

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was one of the main characters in Under The Boardwalk, which is a great movie surfing Romeo & Juliet movie.
Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Toy Soldiers (1991) and it was entertaining and a very good movie.

Great cast:
good youngsters like Sean Astin, Wil Wheaton and Keith Coogan
and the old school actors R. Lee Ermey, Mason Adams, Denholm Elliot and of course Louis Gossett Jr.
And let´s not forget the vicious bad guy Andrew "The Wishmaster" Divoff.

Too bad this UK dvd didn´t have any special features.
I´m gonna watch this again very soon!

-  -

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome movie!!!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing keeping Toy Soldiers out of the class of 80's movies is the year. It is right up there with the best of them for me....great, great movie!
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saturnchick
Master Rewinder
Member # 7524

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for saturnchick   Email saturnchick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie! It came out when I was about 14 years old, and I watched it over and over again. I have not seen it in a long time, but I totally agree with 80's Rocked - this movie has an 80's feel to it, and I often mentally categorize it as such.
Posts: 339 | From: New York City | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read (in Leonard Maltin's film review book, no less) that Jerry Orbach appears uncredited. Did anybody recognise him as Albert Trotta?
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, i spotted Jerry.
He was Wil Wheaton´s father if i recall correctly.
Some kind of mafia boss.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1badgmc
Rewinder
Member # 8501

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for 1badgmc   Email 1badgmc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie. I wish it would get a proper DVD release with widescreen and some special features.
Posts: 33 | From: WF, TX | Registered: Dec 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dig this movie...I used to watch it everytime it came on the movie channels back in the day.

I've always kinda thought of this movie as a highly possible sequel to "The Goonies"...you know, it'd be kinda like what would happen to them when they reached that age if they're parents weren't able to save their homes.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq4QKbb1pkc
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
without a doubt a forgotten gem. i went to see this at the movies when i was 17. It was the second part of a double feature with another movie called if looks could kill with richard grieco. both movies were excellent at the time being only 17 my self. Loved Toy Soldiers, shame it didnt feature the 1980s song by Martika.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably because that song was about being addicted to cocaine. LOL!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHAT????? Where did you hear that? i mean the words make sense but i didnt know that. WOW!

[ 15. April 2010, 05:25: Message edited by: oneyedwilly ]

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home