iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Heavenly Kid

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Heavenly Kid
Anthony33
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9820

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Anthony33   Email Anthony33   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does everyone here think of this movie? It's one of my favorite '80s movies. I saw it when it was originally in theaters as a kid and found out a few years ago it had come out on DVD, although I prefer the movie poster and VHS cover to the one on the DVD. If there's already a thread on this movie, please direct me there and I'll read it and add to it instead of this one.

For those who haven't seen it, it's about a guy that dies in a chicken race (like in Rebel Without A Cause) sometime in the early '60s. In order to get into heaven, he has to help an awkward teenager in the mid '80s get through high school, be cool and pretty much gain confidence in himself. It stars Jason Gedrick and Nancy Valen (Loverboy, Baywatch on TV). His parents are played by Mark Metcalf (Animal House, Twisted Sister music videos) and Jane Kaczmarek (Vice Versa movie, Malcolm in the Middle and Help Me Help You TV shows).

I haven't watched it in years, but plan on ordering a copy and watching it some weekend. What are your opinions here of this movie?

Posts: 60 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Anthony.. this a repost from a former HK thread.. but here ya go:

-

"What a spazola! So, who is it? Which one of these lucky cats is my assignment?"

"The Heavenly Kid" has always been one of my fav movies from the 80's. My brother actually introduced me to Lewis Smith a little before he journeyed to LA. And as someone that always looked up to my big brother, I was quick to latch on to anything Lewis Smith appeared in.

I enjoyed that the plot was a mixture of comedy with heart. I still crack up when they are cruising around and Bobby is driving and Lenny asks him...."When you passed away, it couldn't have been in a car accident could it?"...."yeah, how'd ya guess?"

-

The scene where Bobby risks everything to show himself to Emily and they reminiscence by visiting her old street and the high school gym while the tune "Heart Of Love" plays is awesome.

"Don't worry... I got it covered!"

What I enjoy most about "The Heavenly Kid" is the fact that is quite different than most other 80's teen flicks. It is a movie that takes it time developing the story, but the payoff is worth it.

I really enjoy the tunes in the movie even though it is not considered a conventional 80's style soundtrack.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthony33
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9820

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Anthony33   Email Anthony33   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Valley. Glad at least one person agrees. Wasn't there another scene where Lenny asks Bobby when he died because Lenny thought what he was saying was old fashioned? I don't remember Jason Gedrick becoming a huge star, but he did get a lot of work. He was also in the first season of the Stephen Bochco legal drama Murder One and a show called Falcone, based on Donnie Brasco and was on two of my favorite TV shows, Cold Case and Lie to Me. I'm surprised there wasn't a review of this on the site.

Whatever happened to Cary Medoway anyway? He directs this great movie (IMO) and Paradise Hotel, which also seems to be well-liked and then nothing else. Was it just an alias? Did he leave the business or die or something?

Oh yeah, one more thing, as Columbo would say. A local UHF channel here (remember those, before cable completely took over?) at the time used to run contestst on this movie show, I think it was called Cinemattractions. Anyway, they used to ask trivia questions about a clip of a movie they would show. For the ad for The Heavenly Kid, the question was "how many cigarettes fell onto the pizza?" So people would call some number and give their answer, you'd give your name and say where you were from, then they would give the correct answer and some name would be picked randomly. I didn't win, but figured out it was 3 cigs. Apparently, this was also the name of a 2005 show.

[ 23. June 2011, 22:27: Message edited by: Anthony33 ]

Posts: 60 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i really like heavenly kid,purchased it while on holiday in the states last year on a double disc set with teen witch what i have yet to see ,got this and mannequin 1 & 2 also on a double disc for round about 5 dollars each from wal mart,the exchange rate at the time it worked out about 3.5 uk pounds- a right bargain!
the heavenly kid is a lot of fun and definitely worth having in everyones collection!
out on the edge - john fiore http://youtu.be/b1rvOVc1xL8 .

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think it's a cute movie with great music. i ended up downloading the soundtrack... Valley got me to watch it not long ago. i had seen it before in pieces but didn't remember much of it.

the special effects are funny to see ha! [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthony33
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9820

Rate Member
Where can you download the soundtrack?
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

No big surprise here.. I'm currently watching "The Heavenly Kid" again.  It is such a sentimental film with amazing charm in my opinion.

"Where are we Mars? .. No.. Ft. Lauderdale"     [Razz]

The fact my brother lives in Ft. Lauderdale makes that funny to me.

Ronnie.. the special effects are lame-o fer sure, but the race scenes and crashes are done quite excellent.  And of course you snagged the unique soundtrack.. Oh and bonus points for actually seeing the movie first this time!  ha   [Big Grin]

-

Anthony.. I've always enjoyed 80's trivia .. so the fact that 3 cigarettes  land in that dude's Sbarro pizza during the "Animal Attraction" scene is totally my kind of fun!

-

Warrior.. I'm glad you got the chance to enjoy this lost gem.  Most people probably bought that two-pack DVD for "Teen Witch", but I wonder how many of them are now fans of "The Heavenly Kid"?

I'm sure I mentioned this in the past, but there are great examples of some stylish 80's fashion in this movie for anyone interested. [Cool]

"Hey,  Good looking.. you're too fine to be sitting here all alone."

Oh and Ronster.. I don't think I told you this before you watch it .. but the scene where Lenny gets tossed into the shrubs by the girl was Veronica Vixen ferocious!  [Wink]

I just checked and "The Heavenly Kid" is available on Netflix instant watch.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great pics valley!
it was august last year i purchased this double disc from a wal mart in pigeon forge ,(they had a bin with all dvds in it under $5,so i got this,mannequin and its sequel,plus a 4 pack dvd with charlie sheens excellent beyond the law on it,i also got funny farm/spies like us on blu for about $20.
i've watched all the others but still to this day i have never seen teen witch!

yeh,good point valley,i bet heavenly kid has acquired quite a few new fans due to this twin pack and that's no bad thing,the more people get to know about this hidden gem the better!

you mentioning fort lauderdale valley has made me think of another movie i've never actually got round to seeing and that is 1983's spring break!

[ 25. July 2011, 13:53: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Spring Break is a diamond. Not to mention a totally underrated soundtrack. Someone on here years ago hooked me up with the tunes. As for the Heavenly Kid, a great movie. Out on the Edge is awesome.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home