iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Ultimate "Can't Buy Me Love" Thread - Star Sapphire Edition (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Ultimate "Can't Buy Me Love" Thread - Star Sapphire Edition
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't Buy Me Love (1987)

-

"Someday my wish is for him to hold me in his arms...in a sea of deep blue...together at last, together as two."

-

Never underestimate the African Anteater Ritual. Donald, I mean Ronald Miller is a high school geek who's about to enter his senior year and longs for acceptance as one of the "cool kids". His next-door neighbor is Cindy Mancini the head cheerleader and one of the most popular girls in school, but she doesn't even know that Ronald exists. When she accidently ruins her mom's expensive suede outfit and can't afford to replace it, Ronald offers up the $1,000 needed to replace it, with one catch.. she will have to pretend to date him for one month.

"Can't Buy Me Love" is one of my all-time favorite movies. The cast is 80's geek to chic.. Patrick Dempsey, Amanda Peterson, Courtney Gains, Tina Caspary, Darcy DeMoss, and Gerardo Mejía to name a few.

The movie has it all for 80's fans.. fashion, music, romance, and so many quotable lines that I can't even begin to give them justice.

-

One of my fav scenes is after Ronnie annihilates Cindy and she tells him to "stay yourself"... and then the following occurs:

"Me change? Never."

-

(Then we see Ronnie busting through the doors at school the next morning)

"That's right! I'm here! Ha, ha! Feelin' good. Hey, babes. Good to see ya... (Ronnie suddenly spots a video camera) Mom, Dad, send money please... I'm broke."

What makes "Can't Buy Me Love" so 80's awesome in my opinion is all the great supporting roles.. Rock, Chuckie, Big John, Quint, and Fran were all excellent additions to the cast.

-

You don't see the tunes from "Can't Buy Me Love" mentioned very often, but the soundtrack has a great mixture of popular and 80's obscure tracks. Here's a sample:

1. Can't Buy Me Love ~ The Beatles
2. One Lover At A Time ~ Atlantic Starr
3. Living In A Box ~ Living in a Box
4. Misfit ~ Curiosity Killed The Cat
5. Actress ~ Randy Hall
6. As Long As I Can Last ~ Randy Hall
7. All Night Long ~ Randy Hall
8. Heart's Radio ~The Blue Sparks From Hell
9. Don't Wanna Be Your Fool ~ Brittan
10. Burnin' ~ Rebel Faction
11. Dancin' With Myself ~ Billy Idol

For people that truly appreciate "Can't Buy Me Love".. they totally know that this flick is:

Outrageous!

[ 19. April 2010, 05:53: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I would expect Cindy Mancini, Veronica Sawyer, and maybe several others to have a few choice words for this thread when they see it. Well, all I gotta say is:

"You ignored the Donald Miller dork for seventeen years. Now you wanna ride on the Ronnie Miller Express!"

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Star Sapphire Edition" !!! [Smile] -Valley, you're a genius!!!

If ever there was a genuinely cool name for a CBML special edition DVD/Blu-ray, that would be it! [Smile]

-You listening, Disney?! [Wink]

Anyway, as my contribution to the "Star Sapphire Edition", I would like to exclusively give you what everyone would love to have... A sneak peek into Cindy Mancini's closet...

-

Notice how its just totally frozen in time... Quite bizarre.. Even the strange rainbow window blinds are the same as when filming took place.

The whole of Cindy Mancini's house is 'frozen in time' and the Rewind will give you a guided tour.. Soon... [Smile]

Posts: 1025 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was the first movie that I credit this site for me seeing. I had seen part of it when I was really young but didn't rememeber anything about it. I bought it becuase of peoples suggestions on here and just loved it! I think I watched it 3 times the first week I had the movie. Ha.

Thanks again for helping me find this movie!!

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always loved this one. I think it manages to rise above its own cliches and budgetary constraints with some genuinely touching moments.

Nick, I won't even ask how you got that pic!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Sapphire edition [Cool] For a second there, I thought they'd actually shown this movie some love...its not like they wouldn't have any extras, either.

Cast Interviews 1987

Can't Buy Me Love was a movie I discovered upon the recommendation of Rewinders, and of course my Wingman Valley who seems to love this flick almost as much he does Valley Girl. I thought it was an enjoyable, easy going romantic comedy; the kind they haven't made for a long time.

Amanda Peterson today

Looks a little worse for wear in that picture but by all accounts is well and doing fine.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Amanda Peterson looks pretty bad!!! Eeeek....anyway, I remember always seeing the preview for this movie whenever I would rent the VHS for adventures in babysitting but didn't actually see it until my freshman year of high school. I loved everything about it right away. I even got a vw rabbit convertible and fixed it up so it looked just like cindy's!

I know it's not supposed to be funny, but I've always laughed during the part when Courtney gains confronts Ronald at the arcade and says, "you $hit on my house!"

Also can't forget, "quinton is in, let the fun begin!"

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Great stuff.. Kash .. loved the youtube interview.

Okay.. I spent the last several minutes on imdb sifting through the postings regarding the Amanda Peterson picture above. Did I miss out on how we know that is definitely her in the picture? I hate to be so skeptical, but that picture could be anyone.

If it really is her.. the story I just read is crushing.

Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Great stuff.. Kash .. loved the youtube interview.

Okay.. I spent the last several minutes on imdb sifting through the postings regarding the Amanda Peterson picture above. Did I miss out on how we know that is definitely her in the picture? I hate to be so skeptical, but that picture could be anyone.

If it really is her.. the story I just read is crushing.

It kind of does look like her even the picture of the daughter. But I get what you mean Valley....CBML was 23 years ago man oh man doesn't seem like it.

It's on my favs..........I've seen it more then most of my favs and it was one of my first switch VHS to DVD's. Seth Green! haha Dempsey was lovable even when he was being an ***. Gains,Peterson........(Rico suave) haha When his video came out I only knew him from CBML and pictured him not shirtless but half shirtness! [Smile] ha!

Awesome Classic.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

"You nuked my brother. You took him from 'geek' status to 'king' status to no status."

Seth Green (can you believe that's him?) was hilarious in CBML. Only thing better was his performance in "Can't Hardly Wait".

Speaking of Rico Suave aka Gerardo Mejia aka Ricky .. he says that there is apparently a CBML Reunion in the works. My hope is that means a "Can't Buy Me Love" Blu-ray with a cast commentary.

Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always remember the doll chopping and his laugh his laugh! I heart Seth!
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't Hardly Wait! "Why you gotta waste my flava?" The welcome screen on my cell has "Peace Out G!" [Smile]

[ 20. April 2010, 17:40: Message edited by: Bamersy ]

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Valley, I'm so flattered that you started this thread! Haha...just kidding but couldn't you hear Cindy say something like this in her pre-Ronald Miller days...exactly!

In all honestly, love the posts here! This movie remains one of my all time favorites! And the Star Sapphire Edition part is brilliant !!

To join in the fun, I've decided to add some more pics ! I'm really curious as to where Nick found pics of the inside of Cindy's house now!! Hmmm...show us more please!!

-

-
"Cindy, I need you to be more mature like the Miller boy."
"Oh mother, get serious..."

-

-

[ 24. April 2010, 02:12: Message edited by: cindymancini ]

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley, you've inspired me to fall asleep watching this movie tonight [Smile] ! It never gets old!!

Queue the Atlantic Starr...

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 and 1-2

Arms up! Yes!!!

Haha...sorry I broke into cheer practice, just doing what I do best besides shopping & hanging out [Wink] !!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by logan5:
Nick, I won't even ask how you got that pic!

-=Expanded For the Star Sapphire Edition=-

In a nutshell, I just pitched up at the house, introduced myself as being from the Rewind and explained to them that "the world needs to know..." [Wink]

It really was a 'weird' experience to wander round Cindy's house because NOTHING had changed -and I mean NOTHING (including the decoration throughout, the kitchen etc) - apart from the front door had apparently been replaced with one that was near identical and the set dressing was gone, obviously. Turns out that the house is subject to some sort of deliberate 'conservation' that goes back way before CBML was filmed even.

At one point I was in a hallway on the way to Cindy's mom's room/closet and I'm using the portable DVD player to verify angles etc so I can take matching pics and I look down from my view of the real hall to the DVD screen and Cindy is walking towards me down the same hall (remember those shots and the music after Rock has picked up her mom), that is still identical, which hasn't been repainted since and still has the same marks on the paint etc. It was like looking at video playback of a shot filmed 30 seconds ago.. Not 13 years!

-

And then it hit me... I'm actually standing in Cindy Mancini's house..! All those times I've watched the movie... And now I'm right here. It felt, just for one weird moment, like I was inside the movie! I could just reach out and touch the very same surfaces I've seen all those times... So weird...

Footnote: Its lucky that I had the CBML DVD in a portable player handy and that it had a disney logo at the beginning or things may have turned out rather 'different', but that's another story... [Wink]

"I was just in your closet the other day and don't remember seeing this..."

[ 21. April 2010, 08:07: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 1025 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by cindymancini:
just doing what I do best besides shopping & hanging out [Wink] !!

"I think you're very talented... You can do whatever you put your mind and your heart into. I believe that."
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
"Well let's just keep this between us, okay? For life or longer?"
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is probably in my top 10 movies. You've all already mentioned so many of the reasons it's great, but one little thing I love is when "Certain Things Are Likely" is playing during the pool scene. I love the soundtracks to these darn movies I tell ya!
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Nick.. your expanded posting just described exactly how I feel when I visit a filming location. I get some of those same emotions when I actually just watch the movie, but finding a virtually unchanged filming location is an incredible experience in my opinion. It is a connection with the movie that almost makes you feel apart of the original film. I love the idea of taking a portable DVD player to match up the shots from the movie versus today. Something I have never done in the past, but will definitely think about moving forward.

My real question though Nick.. was Cindy Mancini's lawn still in Ronald Miller pristine condition or has it kinda gone downhill since Ronnie went off to college and Chuckie took over?

Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
I love the idea of taking a portable DVD player to match up the shots from the movie versus today. Something I have never done in the past, but will definitely think about moving forward.

Oh, it's a must.. I used to go without too... But I found two things:

I often found that my memory of the angles etc was slightly faulty when I returned with my pictures

PLUS, I nearly always found when re-watching the DVD after seeing a location that they'd used it either for other scenes or in some other cunning way that didn't occur to me until I saw it again.

So now, I look at the DVD while I'm there and it just makes the whole process work better [Smile] The portable DVD player I use was a super-cheap one from a supermarket that was like 30 dollars.

It also opens doors... Like the example of Cindy Mancini's house... You politely show the owner and they understand and become interested. At the very least they realise that you're not there to rob them! [Wink]

In that case, the house is a community clubhouse (and I had written to the adminstrators in advance too..) But they hadn't yet replied. So, I was left with the option of trying to convince the housekeeper...

quote:
My real question though Nick.. was Cindy Mancini's lawn still in Ronald Miller pristine condition or has it kinda gone downhill since Ronnie went off to college and Chuckie took over?

Hehe.. [Smile] The lawn and the house was in spectacular condition... Mainly because Chuckie had been fired long ago [Wink]
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this movie's ok....has it's moments
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Larson
Rewind Curious
Member # 8872

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Adam Larson   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Larson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The scene at Lunch with the bat is EPIC! my favorite 80s movie scene by leaps and bounds!
Posts: 3 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Just watched this again last night with a buddy who's 21 and had never seen it before! she loved it!!! She of course is in love with Dempsey from Grey's Anatomy...I do give her credit because when she house sat for me last year she watched LoverBoy and Happy Together. I may have danced a bit of the African Anteater and may of gotten laughed at [Smile] Such a classic!
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
Just watched this again last night with a buddy who's 21 and had never seen it before! she loved it!!! She of course is in love with Dempsey from Grey's Anatomy...I do give her credit because when she house sat for me last year she watched LoverBoy and Happy Together. I may have danced a bit of the African Anteater and may of gotten laughed at [Smile] Such a classic!

Keep teaching the youngsters! I'm still trying to get a colleague to watch Back to the Future! The irony is he really likes both the movies Robert Zemeckis made on either side of it! Grrr! Just sit down and eat your greens!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Cindy Mancini's sharing that she purchased the Steinberg print of 9th Avenue that Blair had hanging next to her bed in the tv show "The Facts of Life" .. has inspired me.

I just went to a shop that does school letter jackets and they are going to custom make me the "Outrageous" from Cindy Mancini's bedroom wall.

-

I've been talking about doing it for years, so consider it done!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home