iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Outsiders - Incredible

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Outsiders - Incredible
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The new DVD "The Outsiders: The Complete Novel" is a wonderful DVD package. To start, the beginning and the end of the movie are completely different, not what happens, but scenes have been added that are great for character development. Did you ever wonder how Ponyboy got that cut under his chin, well now you know. You get to meet all the Greasers before they are ever seen at the Drive-in. Excellent stuff!

Diane Lane is awesome as Cherry Valance in this movie. I love how tough she could be, and willing to stand up for what was right when it counted. I didn't like how she blew Ponyboy off late in the movie though, I know there were social pressures, but she seemed like someone that was stronger than that ya know.

What a cast...Matt Dillion, Ralph Macchio, C. Thomas Howell, Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, Diane Lane, Leif Garrett, Michelle Meyrick, Tom Waits, and Tom Cruise. Look for Sofia Coppola as a little girl and Heather Langenkamp, that was delete from the original movie, restored in this edition.

Also, S. E. Hinton the author of the novel plays a nurse in the movie. How cool is that!

-

But the best part of all is that the cast got back together recently and gave commentary while watching the new version of the film. Oh wait, even better Francis Ford Coppola changed the score and it is now filled with Elvis tunes which he originally played on the set for the cast while filming. If you love "The Outsiders" you won't be disappointed in this re-release. Almost, like watching a new movie. [Cool] [Karate Kid]

[ 02. October 2005, 20:56: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds great, this being one of my favourite movies its cool that the cast came back to do a commentary (is Cruise there as well?), also look out for the 'Rumblefish' SE coming soon.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definately want to get it. I remember seeing S.E. Hinton's name in the credits as a nurse, but there were 2 nurses, and I never knew which one she was...she was actually the funny nurse. That is so cool to know. She is not what I pictured her to look like. Did they show the cast members today?? Or was it all audio commentary? Yeah, I wondered about the cut on his chin...but I thought it was something that happened in real life to C. Thomas Howell, and not anything that had to do with the movie. I mean I did think about that down the road, that he didn't have the scar in other movies, but I just figured that he probably had a little fixer upper plastic surgery....so that is very interesting stuff.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watch "Casting of The Outsiders" which is a way cool featurette with footage of the auditions for parts.

Could you imagine - Tom Cruise in Matt Dillion's role as Dallas 'Dally' Winston.

How about that annoying kid from One Day At A Time, Glenn Scarpelli, as Johnny instead of Ralph Macchio?

I think this one might have worked, but how about Catherine Mary Stewart as Cherry Valance? Or Helen Slater who also auditioned for it.

Adam Baldwin was up for Matt Dillion's role as well?

How about Anthony Michael Hall as Ponyboy....well it could have happened?

Infact, Francis Ford Coppola had them audition in groups to watch the chemistry among the young actors and even had them audition for several different roles.

I love stuff like this on DVDs, don't you?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love that stuff too...and wow he had everyone that was anyone audition....once you pick the group of people...you can't picture anybody but those people...allthough the one thing I never liked was who they cast as a "Soc" I thought Leif Garrett did a bad acting job...and I never liked the guy who was Randy. Catherine Mary Stewart might have also worked as Michelle Meyrink's part.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
This is weird, but Jessie started a post that mentioned Kim Walker. Then Cindy started a post asking about Robert Rusler. Then I started a post about Deputy Dewey who was played by David Arquette. You ask what do they have in common?

...Wow they were all in the TV Series version of "The Outsiders" that picked up where the movie left off. Wow is that strange or is Johnny tyring to reach out to us? [Eek!] [Cool]

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
The Outsiders Tv Series
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Motley, I would definitely encourage you to pick up the Special Edition of The Outsiders. I was blown away by the extras.

Isis, watch the movie with the additional scenes and also pay attention to the new music score. The Elvis tunes are wonderful. After watching the movie then watch it again with the commentary.

I would have posted on Isis's thread, but above is all the stuff I said when I first watched the Special Edition.

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I knew you had posted on it before, but I was too lazy to go dig it back up again...but had to say something about how cool it was, while it was still fresh in my mind. I am going to go watch it here real soon.

I didn't even catch the changing of the music stuff....I liked seeing how they filmed some of the scenes...like in small spaces in Johnny's hospital room, how they did the camera so you could see Two-Bit and Pony Boy's faces, and also see Johnny upside down...that is the kind of stuff you don't even think about, but the people making the movie have to thing about what they want the audience to feel when they see something...and how they have to get it on film to get that feeling across to them.

It was cool to see how they did the scene when Johnny gets hit with the burning beam in the church.

They said that The Outsiders is the 2nd highest ranking book read by kids..Charlotte's Web was #1.

It is another movie that takes place back in the 50's. I just mentioned that in another thread. Dirty Dancing took place then too...those movies were made in the 80's, but they were set in the 50's....so how come now they still can't make movies set in the 50's that are cool. They made so many that were totally different from each other in the 80's, and now there's none.

I was listening to Elvis music today actually, while cleaning my house...I love : One Night....that is a great song, when I hear some of his music...I think what would he think about today's "stuff"...I don't even want to call it music. I bet he would say it sucked to no end.

rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
It is another movie that takes place back in the 50's. I just mentioned that in another thread. Dirty Dancing took place then too...those movies were made in the 80's, but they were set in the 50's....so how come now they still can't make movies set in the 50's that are cool. They made so many that were totally different from each other in the 80's, and now there's none.

Wait, wasn't "Dirty Dancing" set in the 60s?

On-topic: This was a good movie from what I saw of it. My question is this:

Does this director's cut still have Stevie Wonder's song "Stay Gold"? That was a beautiful song and I hope it's still in the movie.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miyagi-Turbo
Master Rewinder
Member # 4340

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Miyagi-Turbo   Email Miyagi-Turbo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The special edition dvd of "The Outsiders" is awesome. It has everything you would ever want in a special edition dvd. It is for sure worth the price.

One thing I would have liked to see was an original cut of the film with the original music. It would have been nice to have both cuts so we could compare the two versions and the music from both versions. If you want the original you have to go and purchase it.

I have to say that this is one of the best special edition dvds that I own.

Anyone know where we can get the soundtrack from this new release of "The Outsiders".
The original soundtrack has been listed on ebay before, but not sure if they are going to release a new one for it. The original soundtrack is rare.

Posts: 203 | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Yes, Stay Gold is still in it. Some of the original music is in it, cause they still sing GLORIA at the beginning when they chase the kids through the grass...but most of it was changed.

I just got done watching it, and I don't know why they ever cut out the whole beginning and the whole ending.

Some of the music did not go with the scenes this time...like it was too surfin sounding or something, like you should be on a boogie board hangin 10...in scenes that were kind of dramatic like the church fire scene...that needed to have different music.

But, I swear I always felt like there was something missing from the Outsiders from the first time I ever saw it...especially with Rob Lowe...it did feel like he was hardly in any scenes, and Tom Cruise too. They were in so much more of the new version. I can see why Rob was so bummed...he was a little deep in to the whole brotherly love bit...I think he took over the mother role.

The one thing I must have missed...cause I saw clips of it on the special feature DVD...was where Johnny's mom was beating him with a broom, but I don't remember seeing that scene anywhere in the new version of the movie...can anyone tell me if I missed it?

I want to watch it again with the commentary.

I still can't get over how C. Thomas Howell looks now, after seeing him in that movie.

I can't believe they cut out the whole end of the movie, with the trial and everything...after seeing it...my son and I both said we liked it so much better...because it had more of a story line, and made more sense.

[ 17. December 2005, 07:00: Message edited by: ISIS ]

eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Valley:

Look for Sofia Coppola as a little girl and Heather Langenkamp, that was delete from the original movie, restored in this edition.

Also, S. E. Hinton the author of the novel plays a nurse in the movie. How cool is that!

I thought that little girl looked familiar! I was just wondering if any of the little kids in the movie actually grew up to be adult actors, and whether I would know any of them. And I didn't know that SE Hinton had that cameo. We had to read a few of her books in 7th grade Literature class. Our teacher was the coolest. She really picked great books for us to read, but my faves were the ones by Hinton.

Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miyagi-Turbo
Master Rewinder
Member # 4340

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Miyagi-Turbo   Email Miyagi-Turbo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ISIS:

The scene with Johnny and his mother is deleted in the new version. You didnt miss it.

Posts: 203 | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Was Sophia Coppola the little girl that says...Hey Mister, do you have .15 cents ...do you have a dime?? When they are sitting at the Dairy Queen eating BBQ sandwiches...Ponyboy wore most of his.

Where is Heather Langenkamp in this movie? I don't remember hardly any girls in the movie at all...except Diane Lane and Michelle Meyrink.

Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't that the girl from Nightmare on Elm Street? I never noticed she was in The Outsiders...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ISIS:
[QB] Was Sophia Coppola the little girl that says...Hey Mister, do you have .15 cents ...do you have a dime?? When they are sitting at the Dairy Queen eating BBQ sandwiches...Ponyboy wore most of his.

Yes, that is her. She looks the same now, just with shorter hair. I really was wondering why she looked so familiar. I don't know what part that Heather chick had, her scenes were deleted. Maybe she is in the DVD extras.

Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ISIS wrote:
quote:
...I love : One Night....that is a great song, when I hear some of his music. I think what would he think about today's "stuff". I don't even want to call it music. I bet he would say it sucked to no end.
Well, I like my daughter Lisa Marie's songs!

But I'll never figure out what she saw in that Michael Jackson fellow...

Signed,
ELVIS PRESLEY [Big Grin]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Hahahahahah!

Do you really think he'd like Lisa Marie's "music"????

I think Lisa Marie said she didn't know what she saw in that Michael Jackson fellow either...I actually felt bad for her...and I felt bad for the girl that was in the video for "The Way You make me Feel"...she threw herself at him...and got dumped big time and to this day is still crying over it....and Brooke Shields got dumped for Webster....so that had to be rough.

Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Elvis would be ashamed if he heard Lisa Marie's music.

"Young lady that's why I left you so much money. So you wouldn't have to worry about working. Please don't sing you shame the King."

Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
If you haven't gone out and gotten this movie as a Christmas Gift to yourself, you should!

Ok, here's a cool little factoid about "The Outsiders". The drive-in in the beginning of the movie is called the Admiral Twin Drive-in. Infact, the hole in the fence they crawled through in the movie is still there.

Admiral Twin Drive-In Tulsa, OK

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Bringing back up, to get everyone's thoughts. I'm getting ready to watch "The Outsiders" tonight,
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i never knew about this release. it sounds incredible. one of the best casted movies ever.

now i'll have to buy it.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Coppola has been doing a bang up job with DVD releases of his movies. The Outsiders special edition is dripping with features. Unfortunately, while I liked all the additional material in the extended edition and think the film is actually better for it, I hate the new generic music and feel that the Carmine Coppola score was far far superior. After watching the special edition I had to go out and buy the original on DVD just in case it became impossible to find.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home