iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Sphere (1998)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sphere (1998)
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

What is everyone's take on the 1998 sci-fi film "Sphere"? It's got a stellar cast including Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone and Samuel L. Jackson, was directed by Barry Levinson, and was based on a novel by Michael Crichton.

Yet despite that pedigree, the movie bombed at the box office and received mostly negative reviews from critics. All in all, does anybody think that it pales in comparison to the book?

Posts: 4123 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barry Levinson has no idea how to direct a big sci-fi film. I thought that this one, despite the great cast, was really dull and forgettable.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually liked it a lot and watch it every now and then. The ending is a bit of a cop out, but overall, a tense and suspenseful movie.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Sphere" is was a creepy cool film right up until the horrible ending. What's the deal with these underwater films? I actually feel the same way about "The Abyss".. of course, they they actually changed/cut the ending of that one before we ever saw it.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spreadking
Master Rewinder
Member # 7280

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spreadking   Email Spreadking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this once. One of the rare films I gave a 1/10.
Posts: 215 | From: Central TX | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kingkujoe
Rewind Curious
Member # 12017

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for kingkujoe   Email kingkujoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually like The Sphere, never read the book to do an accurate comparison of the two but I can give my opinion of the movie. It did stand to have some pacing issues and suffered from a time paradox but the truly interesting part was the take on the human psyche and what people are capable of with unimaginable power.
Posts: 9 | Registered: May 2012 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ViennaRage
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 13710

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ViennaRage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ordinarily, I'm not huge on Sci-fi books, but I did read Sphere and enjoyed it thoroughly. I remember loving the movie when I first saw it in theaters, but then I didn't see it again until actually quite recently (on blu-ray). I still find it enjoyable--primarily due to the stellar cast--but it's quite flawed and is pretty muddled. Because I remember the book, I get more out of the movie, but the narrative and direction of the adaptation is just kind of unfocused and all over the place. Still, I don't regret buying it and again I enjoy it.

[ 03. October 2012, 06:30: Message edited by: ViennaRage ]

Posts: 20 | From: Beaverton, Oregon | Registered: Oct 2012 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ViennaRage
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 13710

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ViennaRage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
"Sphere" is was a creepy cool film right up until the horrible ending. What's the deal with these underwater films? I actually feel the same way about "The Abyss".. of course, they they actually changed/cut the ending of that one before we ever saw it.

I agree. Honestly, I actually prefer the theatrical ending to the extended cut version. The latter was so blatantly preachy, it was as if the fictional story stopped and the film makers, by way of the underwater "beings," turned to the camera and began an overly long, awkward rant...the movie itself I love though.
Posts: 20 | From: Beaverton, Oregon | Registered: Oct 2012 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my faves from the 90s as it is sci-fi....had way more potential though. I wasn't thrilled with the direction that the storyline took. Ending needed work as well.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't really care for this movie at all. Very poorly written movie, and even worse directing. Even though I like the actors in this film in general, I feel this movie could have been slightly better with a younger cast.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home