iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Curly Sue? Not so sure if I loved Hughes in the 90's?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Curly Sue? Not so sure if I loved Hughes in the 90's?
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught some of Curly Sue on tv......and you know what? there really is something so off about it???? I would never think it was Hughes?

When I searched on the 90's board there actually are a few posts declaring their love of Curly Sue.......I just wasn't blown away!

We're talking 80's Hughes was on the top of his game........original, inventive! classic lines and characters....right?

Home alone I still love and it was 1990........but Dutch and Career Opportunities???i've never loved......never loved enough to even want to own them or watch again?

So my question.........do you agree? Hughes lost his touch in the 90's!!! or disagree?

80's Hughes:
Vacation, Mr. Mom, Weird Science, Breakfast Club!!! Sixteen Candles, Some Kind of Wonderful, The Great Outdoors........etc etc etc.....

90's Hughes
Home Alone, Curly Sue, Dutch, Career Opportunities, Reach the Rock???? (a friend I worked with a long time ago was like I love this movie so much.....I watched it and was like huh????) Flubber!

Any opinions?

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My best guess is it may have been simply burnout; after hitting the bullseye so often in so many years, I think he was just out of gas and perhaps fed up with the Hollywood system (by some accounts he stopped trusting them following Candy's death, which itself was a shame in that case as rumor has he was considering an Uncle Buck sequel). Still, even his lesser pictures have their pretty good moments, and Dennis the Menace is an above average adaptation film.

[ 24. August 2011, 07:48: Message edited by: Chris the CandyFanMan ]

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, he had more hits than misses in the 80's..and vice versa can be said about his work in the 90's. But he had a couple noteworthy films in the 90's that I personally still enjoy like:

DENNIS THE MENACE: This was a cute little film adaptation of the cartoon that I think turned out pretty good because it was very well cast with some great actors. The kid they got to play Dennis did a good job and was quite funny in the role. But my personal favorites is a tie between Walter Matthau as George Wilson, and Lea Thompson as Alice Mitchell. Christopher Lloyd was great too as the villian. It looked like he just had alot of fun with that role.

DUTCH: Yeah, this film was a flop and is pretty much dismissed as lame to most of the general public. But, for some reason, I kinda like it. While it's not among the best in Hughes family film department, it still has enough of that good ole trademark Hughes Humour and warm fuzziness to make for a passable film for me.

BABY'S DAY OUT: I just posted in the "Baby's Day Out" topic thread itself why I enjoy this movie. But I'll reiterate a little. If you can shut your brain off and ignore all the improbabilities in this film, and just watch it for what it is; basically an oldschool cartoon come to life, then I think it can actually be quite enjoyable. It's virtually the same type of silliness and cartoonish sight gags that gave Home Alone it's success. So, if you enjoyed Home Alone, I can't see why you wouldn't enjoy this one too.

So, anywho...there's the few that I think stand out in the 90's...just my opinion of course though. Agree or Disagree with it as you wish.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am one of the few people that loves both Dutch and Curly Sue! I grew up watching both of these movies though so the nostalgia factor may have something to do with it.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
So my question.........do you agree? Hughes lost his touch in the 90's!!! or disagree?

Muffy, I definitely think his 90s movies were ok to see once, but I wasn't a real fan of them.... except Home Alone.. classic!

Curly Sue... it's cute. But not a movie, I can go back to and laugh hysterically at. A family member of mine, is actually friends with the girl who played Curly Sue and goes on and on about the movie.. it doesn't even compare to the 80s movies you mentioned... so I just take it as a 'starstruck' POV.. [Roll Eyes] ha.

I know I have seen Hughes 90s movies at last once..the majority of them, anyway. And almost all of them, I never bothered with again.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Home Alone 2 was the last worthwhile movie in his resume.....
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you noticed that Judd Apatow is currently headed down the John Hughes path? As he gets more prolific and cranks out films, the quality starts to diminish?

[ 25. August 2011, 08:21: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of Hughes' 90's output was strictly family fare. It's like he said what he needed to say about childhood and adolescence in the scripts he wrote in the 80's, and then just settled down into writing for the family audience (not that he did badly financially from it - 'Home Alone', 'Beethoven', etc). He was already on that path towards the end of the 80's. His scripts were always 'safe' (if you know what I mean), he just stopped being 'cool' too.

I think his 90's movies are totally watchable. I just don't really care about them very much (except 'Career Opportunities').

I think if he'd lived, he would have come full circle and maybe started writing about different things. That being said; apparently he wrote tons of stuff - even back in the 80's - much of which has never been made. For every Hughes movie we saw, there were another two we didn't see. Now that interests me.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Muffy, I definitely think his 90s movies were ok to see once, but I wasn't a real fan of them.... except Home Alone.. classic!

I agree Ronnie, exactly!

Thanks for your input all......it was just bothering me that Curly Sue could have been better......and Vern I totally understand growing up with it.

Crash i've actually never been a fan of Apatow.......his movies are so hit and miss with me anyway........I liked 40 Year Old Virgin..........but hated Knocked Up......I can't stand Seth Rogan!!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same reaction... I liked "40 Year Old Virgin" and didn't like "Knocked Up." Seth Rogan doesn't bother me as much as Jonah Hill. I think one of Apatow's biggest problems is that he spends too much time taking care of his buddies by casting them in his films.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
That's it Crash!!! casting all his buddies....his movies may have been totally different with casting changes!

and I meant to say Logan.........I've always wonder what all those lost scripts are like??? They could never be made the same now though.I still haven't seen Drillbit Taylor and how that's based on one of his stories??? right?

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Career Opportunities rocks but John Hughes was a family man in the 90s.
Never seen Dutch but i just can´t watch his other 90s flicks.

I hate dogs, Macaulay Culkin makes me see red (though he was tolerable in Uncle Buck)
Curly Sue was too curly and i´ve never even liked Dennis the Menace cartoons.
Baby´s Day Out? The horror, the horror...

This stuff is just too much, all sugar and no spice [Cool]

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Curly Sue was too curly

LOL [Smile]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home