iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Revisiting True Romance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Revisiting True Romance
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I watched True Romance last night for the first time in about 12 years and oddly I'll say that it's one time super coolness didn't hold up.

I'm going to say that it was a great movie and the action for the most part still rocks but ..... Man I don't know.

Was it Arquette? Besides her kicking James Gandolfini (sp?) *** in a great scene, she had a little Rosie Perez annoying thing going on.

Slater, three years removed from Pump Up The Volume, was alright also. But not great.

Oddly the supporting cast is what makes this movie great, Walken, Jackson, Oldman, Hopper, Chris Penn. They made the movie.

It definitely has some great moments and I recommend checking it out but for me it just wasn't as good as a dozen
years ago.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devo I too used to love this movie at the time!!!I own it! It didn't hold up for me recently either......I agree about the supporting cast.........don't forget Brad Pitt? hahaha

You're right it's still a good movie....just not as great as I remember thinking it was.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fightertown
Master Rewinder
Member # 7418

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Fightertown   Email Fightertown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie still holds up for me. I just recently watched it a few nights ago. Great ensemble cast some of which are more popular now then when the film was made.
Posts: 230 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with fightertown on this one, this movie remains a classic in my eyes and holds up well in my opinion.

You gotta lotta Noms kid [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great film, still holds up IMO but I know what Devo means. It was a movie of its time; it was, above all else, a Quentin Tarantino (scripted) movie released at the height of his popularity. Christian Slater's character represents an ordinary guy whose love & knowledge of cult movies, Elvis Presley and comic books have no outlet in a pre-Internet world. Thus QT creates for him a hyper-real, heavily stylised world based around the clichés of 80’s Joel Silver films, Hong Kong flicks and the romantic melodrama of the couple-on-the-run sub genre.

'True Romance' was part of Tarantino's sprawling, 500 plus page screenplay 'The Open Road' which had a scene in which Clarence (Slater) writes a movie-within-a-movie about a couple-on-the-run. A satirical, self-reflexive nod to the critics who slammed Quentin's pop culture obsessed banality: The film-within-film idea was eventually scrapped, but the story about a violent couple-on-the-run in a media saturated world remained, and eventually became a separate, below par, movie called 'Natural Born Killers'.

Tony Scott did well behind the camera whilst the cast is legendary, it'd be almost impossible to get a line up like that today, even Vincent Coccotti would have trouble convincing them!

[ 15. August 2011, 19:25: Message edited by: Kash ]

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Natural Born Killers below par, my foot [Mad] [Razz]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i also think this movie has held up over time. i just watched it again about a month or so ago and still loved it.

and as has been said, that supporting cast is untouchable.

dennis hopper and "the moors" scene can't be messed with. almost all of QT's movies have scene's like that for me(the opening scene in reservoir dogs and the final diner scene in pulp fiction are two examples).

i still think this movie has a coolness to it that is timeless.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
Natural Born Killers below par, my foot [Mad] [Razz]

NBK is unwatchable, Kalifornia is like NBK but actually makes sense! [Wink] [Razz]
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kalifornia's alright [Smile] But NBK is wonderful, makes perfect sense to me LOL
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd only seen this for the first time about 8 years ago and I really liked it. On the other hand, can't remember lots of details, so I'll have to revisit. I remembered liking it enough to buy the Blu-ray, which was fairly cheap at the time. I really like the music as well. There's an instrumental bit that really stands out, and I even put it on on of my CDs back in the day, but I can't remember the name of it....wait, found it....The Beach Theme...also called the main theme I think.....lovie this....

http://youtu.be/zJeGFu8JHrI

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man all you True Romance lovers....I still gotta stand by my belief! haha Now Kalifornia is another one where I used to love it then and it's boring to watch now...I do remember seeing Sheryl Crow live back then and she'd made an intro how "No One said it Would be Easy" was in Kalifornia....then she ended up saying that in one of her live albums too....yes I liked Sheryl Crow then....she was a fellow Missourian...haha

I still like NBK though....I also saw some of the places where it was filmed....that amazing canyon/bridge in New Mexico...was amazing....ok enough with my personal ramblings haha

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home