iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » The Pit & The Pendulum (1991)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Pit & The Pendulum (1991)
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, time once again for your old pal
Pyro to review another low budget Goodie!

I bring you the 1991 remake of The Pit & The Pendulum...

-

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm1E-tMPniw

This is a remake of the original 1961 classic horror film starring Vincent Price. This remake is directed by Stuart Gordon and stars Lance Henrikson, Rona De Ricci, and Jeffrey Combs. Both films are based off short stories by Edgar Allen Poe.

Wiki Page (Plot & Info):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pit_and_the_Pendulum_1991_film

My Review:

Being a Horror Movie fan, it's a no-brainer that I won't pass up a movie based off of Edgar Allen Poe writings. I remember seeing bits & pieces of the original 1961 Vincent Price film as a kid. But never bringing myself to sit through and watch it in it's entirety. But recently, I had the opportunity to sit down and watch BOTH the '61 version and the '91 versions back to back. And the final verdict?, The '91 remake beats out the original just by a hair. And not suprising to me considering it's from the director of Re-Animator.. [Cool]

-
 -

Overall, this movie is a pretty sweet low budget horror flick that I can recommend to any fan of the genre. Lance Henrikson's genuinely creepy demeanor shines through in this film, and thus makes his performance better than the rest. And the unknown Rona De Ricci plays the "Damsel in Distress" role terrifically too.
I say check it out if you get the chance.

My Rating:
7/10

[ 25. June 2016, 14:43: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't agree that this beats the 61 version which is my fave Vincent Price flick. But they're so different and I do really enjoy both [Big Grin] I was pleasantly surprised catching this the other year.

[ 07. July 2011, 13:39: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not bagging the '61 version at all..This is just a personal preference really. I just liked the remake a bit more. But the original is just fine on it's own..And you're right Helen..when compared to each other, they are pretty much 2 completely different movies anyway
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was sorely disappointed with the '91 version. I like Stuart Gordon, but I thought that this was a misfire. Henrickson was good, in an over-the-top way. (Then again, Vincent Price was pretty over the top in the original.) But nothing else really jelled. You have Henrickson's serious, method performance against the goofy, anachronistic humor, almost like "Torquemada Meets the Three Stooges." It just didn't work for me.

I like the '61 Corman/Poe film, but it's not the best of the Poe series.

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it is [Mad] [Razz]

Outside of the films based on his work, my fave Poe related thing is the Cushing segment in Torture Garden, great stuff [Smile]

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amaranth
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8882

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for amaranth   Email amaranth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really liked the 91 version sick and twisted lol the 61 version is still fave of mine aswel after all it being my first ever horror movie
Posts: 456 | From: Scotland uk | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once again i remember this from Fangoria but i´ve never seen the film.
Looks nice!

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:

Outside of the films based on his work, my fave Poe related thing is the Cushing segment in Torture Garden, great stuff [Smile]

That segment is cool. I think that it's a toss-up between "Masque of the Red Death" and "Tomb of Ligeia" for best Corman/Poe film, with "The Fall of the House of Usher" coming in third, then probably "Pit and the Pendulum," though "Tales of Terror" is excellent too. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Masque would be my second choice [Smile] Love Ligeia and Tales of Terror [Smile] I didn't get to The Fall of the House of Usher until a few years ago and just remember feeling so disappointed with it. I will have to give it another go.

[ 11. July 2011, 12:44: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
And since we are on a role, I'll admit that I like them all. "The Raven," while not serious, is fun. And I think that the Price-less (deliberate pun) "Premature Burial" is fun. "Haunted Palace," not really Poe, is probably my least favorite.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Masque' rules.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
I would say Masque used to be my favorite of the bunch...though, like many other things in this life..my mind changes like the wind..lol

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home