iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » 90's Movies with an 80's Hangover! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 90's Movies with an 80's Hangover!
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EIGHT DAYS A WEEK (1997):

Just watched this one again recently after not having seen it in awhile. It's a good funny teen comedy. And it's definitely a throwback to teen movies of the 80's considering some of it's content is obviously directly influenced by them. A couple movies that came to mind while I watched this were "Say Anything" and "Pretty in Pink." But it's not a bad movie because of this, it is quite good actually if you don't mind slightly perverted teen comedies. I especially like the grandfather and Catherine Hicks as the horny middle-aged widow. But almost all the characters are very funny in their own way. Anyway, if you have't seen this, you should check it out.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for me the first 5 years of the 90's seemed like 80's
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been watching lots of early 90's movies this week.......ones i've never seen........better then the new 2000's movies i've seen lately in all honesty, so when I run out of 80's movies to hunt down.......early 90's it will be!
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course those are better than the new ones,
but be sure that we don´t know what you have watched... [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fightertown
Master Rewinder
Member # 7418

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Fightertown   Email Fightertown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw this in the theaters when it was released. Finally, have a copy of it on DVD today.

-

Posts: 230 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
for me the first 5 years of the 90's seemed like 80's
First two years maybe, but even then there was something of a 'hangover' element to them. The enthusiasm and optimism was really draining fast.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i can't believe i've never got round to watching kuffs,seen nearly every other slater movie (gleaming the cube,heathers etc.),just not this one,is it any good?
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's ok. Worth watching.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthony33
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9820

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Anthony33   Email Anthony33   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You can get a Logan comment! 'One Wild Night' was the last Hughes teen movie, yet for some reason it got almost no fanfare when it came out. That shows just how passe teen movies had become by the end of the 80's."

Hey, how do you quote lines from other posts here? Anyway, in response to that Logan comment, yes teen movies had run their course by the end of the '80s. I kind of felt bad about that because I really loved most of the ones that came out back then, not so much the ones that came later though, just some, but that's the point I wanted to add. By the end of the '90s, all of a sudden, it seems like teen movies started to make a comeback e.g. Can't Harldy Wait, 10 Things I Hate About You, She's All That and they've been getting produced again ever since. With all the horror, comedy and drama remakes these days, I'm surprised there have been no teen movie remakes and glad too. There's plenty of new ones anyway.

Posts: 60 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
The teen movies that came out in the 90's had a more knowing, cynical quality to them. It was like, "Hey, we're doing a teen movie." Whereas, in the 80's it was more, "Hey, we're doing a movie for young people." The teen movies that came later were drawing on (and referencing) the conventions that had been laid down before, but the previous teen movies that had laid down those conventions originally did so without even realising it.

I agree that some of the later movies were great. And I've said it before, but I'll say it again: 'Heathers' was to the teen movie what 'Airplane' was to the disaster movie - the final nail in the coffin.

[to quote you hit the quotation marks in the top right of the post you want to reference]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home