iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Keep the '90s site active!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Keep the '90s site active!
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We counter-culture types need to keep the '90s discussion going, if only to negate the naysayers that no one is interested.

The '90s was a great period for me: coming out of the dark tunnel of marital disharmony, rekindling old interests, finding new ones. I feel like I rediscovered 'joie de vivre' and it's only gotten better in the millenium decade.

Kash...Puppy...samhain...stevenhw...are you with me?

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam hain2
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1964

- posted      Profile for sam hain2   Email sam hain2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1994 had 3 awesome movies released. Awesome in that they were all totally watchable and were all nominated for best picture; which to me is usually a rare combination.

We had forest Gump, Pulp Fiction, and The Shawshank Redemption. Forest Gump won best picture that year.

Was just wondering what movie of these 3 you all consider to be your favorite.

I would have to go with Pulp Fiction. Even though its very violent and is riddeled with profanity I do consider the dialogue to be some of the most ingenious of all time. Also the way QT tells the story insequentially I too find this to be very creative.

Granted Forest Gump is a nice snapshot into a small period of time with all the pop culture references and is good tear jerker it comes off maybe a little to cutesy at times, but Tom Hanks gives his usual outstanding performance and was well desrving of his best actor award he picked up for the movie.

Shawshank Redemption is also a good story with very fine performances by its cast. This along with Stand By Me are the two Stephen King writings that translated the best to the big screen.

But I still would have to say of the 3 very fine movies released in 1994 Pulp Fiction would have to be my favorite.

Discuss

Posts: 999 | From: Bismarck, ND | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Pulp" wins hands down in this hipster's book.

Did a little more '94 research and came up with:

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
Crumb
Ed Wood
Little Women
The Madness of King George
Muriel's Wedding
Natural Born Killers
Once Were Warriors
Quiz Show
Speed
True Lies

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in the words of Che: "Hasta Siempre victoria!" the 90s lives on.

I'm with you on 'Pulp Fiction' Hipstermom (have you seen 'Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2' yet?).

Robert Rodregiez's 'Desperado' was also made in the 90s. Thats a series that defied movie logic and got increasingly better with each sequel: 'El Mariachi' was nonsensical but well-made for its budget, 'Desperado' was fun and slick but lacking in story whilst 'Once Upon A Time In Mexico' had it all, including another great performance from the ever-reliable johnny Depp, the sizzling Eva Mendes, a good story about politcal revolution and a top score by Robert Rodregiez himslef).

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
I have yet to do the 'KB' twins as yet.

Over the weekend, caught up with "Reservoir Dogs" on TV...too chopped up to truly enjoy but always a good one for the dialog and setting the stage for future QT efforts.

Also caught up with "Last of the Mohicans" which I really love for several reasons, not the least of which is the man-woman thing. Moreover, the story takes place in my home base of operation. Fort Ticonderoga is only an hour from here and I just stayed up at the Fort's conference center for a meeting. It faces directly out to Lake George off a rolling hill and you can imagine the setting of the story if you know anything about it...great expanses of adirondack forest, then this clearing of the fort, advancing ships off the lake, indians & french coming on foot...burning the fort to the ground...setting the survivors off on boot and then ambushing them down the road...goose bumps here!

Gorgeous cinematography.

Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Liked 'LOTM' (after 'Ali', 'Heat' and 'The Insider' its one of Michael Mann's finest effots) , in fact, Daniel Day Lewis is one of the best actors out there in terms of the range of chracters he's played (loved his turn as ultrviolent maniac Bill the Butcher in 'Gangs Of N.Y.'--he deserved an Oscar for that). Remember when they refernced the waterfall "Stay alive" scene with Tom Cruise and Thandie Newton in 'MI:2'? only instead of a waterfall they had Cruise base jump from an office tower with two guns! (gotta love that John Woo)
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I know the 80s board is the place for 90s disapproval, so I'll just say I didn't enjoy any of those. The tough thing in 90s film for me was that so many movies came close. Dumb and Dumber I laughed a lot, but not enough; Speed had terrific action, but not thrilling enough; Pulp Fiction had an original quality about it, but was too talky. With 80s film, the writers just seemed to get it from beginning to end. In the 90s, they seem to struggle with it.

I enjoyed stuff liked City Slickers, Falling Down, Groundhog Day (even that ending tanked), Ghost. After '93, blah. Only 1997's Breakdown got things exciting for an hour and half in the latter part of the decade.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
McFly, you Irish Bug, you know I love yas... but 'too talky' is my life.

Vive le difference!

Kashster, I make it a point to avoid blockbusters especially starring the Cruisemeister. But I love the 'waterfall' scene...staying alive, no matter what it costs...so I'll give props to "MI" for its homage to "LOTM."

DDL has 'frosted my bunkies' for a long time now. [For all you diehard '80s fans, that was something we used to say in the college years of 1981 when some of you were just pups.]

sam hain2
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1964

- posted      Profile for sam hain2   Email sam hain2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Falling Down is one awesome movie. Alot more popular now then when it was first released. Michael Douglas gives a very believable performance as does Robert Duvall. Awesome awesome movie.
Posts: 999 | From: Bismarck, ND | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Mama, like that big long passage where Sam Jackson talks real phiosophically. I know a lot of people say that scene made the movie, but I guess my short attention span needed a skateboard chase sprinkled in there, heh heh.
Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home