iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Kevin Costner; the man, the legend

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kevin Costner; the man, the legend
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Often derided by being uncool or pretentious, Kevin Costner is, in my opinion, a good actor and a reasonably good director whose defiantly making a big comeback soon. The man made some good films in the early 90s before it all went spectacularly wrong, what were your favourite Costner moments?

1.‘JFK’: Incredible film by Oliver Stone detailing the conspiracy behind the Kennedy assassination, deep rooted corruption in the government and one man’s exhausting journey for the truth. Great role for Kev, particularly the courtroom summing up when his voice croaks with emotion at the injustice of it all; top acting, great story and easily both Olly and Kev’s best film of the 90s.

2.‘Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves’: People have a real love/hate relationship with this movie, fans rate it as one of the best films ever made whilst others simply say it’s laughable and can’t stand to hear a second of Bryan Adam’s ‘Everything I Do (I Do It For You)’. Personally, I think this is a great film, a fine adventure with excellent on screen rapport between Kev’s Robin of Loxley and Morgan Freeman’s Saracen Azeem, an all round enjoyable film and worth checking out again if only for Sean Connery’s cameo as king and Alan Rickman’s maniacal turn as the Sheriff of Nottingham. A film that hits the mark every time…and yes, I like the song too (after all, it was number one for what seems like an eternity so I guess its as much a part of life as anything else).

3.‘Dances With Wolves’: Everything an epic should be, but I refuse to buy the DVD until Costner releases his 72-hour director’s cut.

4.‘The Bodyguard’: come on, admit it; you love this movie, deep down we all know there’s something inherently watchable about seeing Whitney and Kev together on screen, yes its quite clichéd and the action is somewhat laughable but at the heart of it; ‘The Bodyguard’ is an honest-to-goodness bit of filmmaking, made all the better by it’ oddball casting, musical interludes and some real moments of tension. Costner also planned a sequel with Princess Diana before she was killed, it probably would’ve made for an interesting film, alas, guess we’ll never know now.

5.‘Message In A Bottle’: yes, I liked this movie, does that make me a woman or something? Quite frankly, I found it to be an unexpectedly touching, well acted love story that could’ve gone down the path of trite sentimentality but actually stayed quite believable, a different, more reserved and alienated, kind of Kevin Costner performance, great scenes with Paul Newman (as his dad) and the ever-reliable Robin Wright Penn.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comments:

JFK: Generally I agree, but for corruption and intrigue in office, for me No Way Out was a better movie.

Robin Hood Prince Of Thieves: This movie is good because of Rickman, not Costner.

Dances With Wolves: Life's not long enough for me to sit through this movie.

The BodyGuard: {quickly checks the date} Is it April 1st - you're fooling me, right?

Message In A Bottle: Yes, you're a woman.

[Wink] Paul

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite Costner performance was as the dead guy Alex in "The Big Chill"...all the flashback scenes featuring the young KC were eventually cut from the film. His best performance ever.

But seriously folks...I can't say I am a great fan, though I respect alot of the work you listed above. I caught a few minutes of "Fandango" the other night [1985] which also featured Judd Nelson in his prime youth. I loved "Bull Durham" and "No Way Out" which you didn't mention.

"The Bodyguard" did nothing for me, though the few scenes I remember were credible KC...I think it was the Whitney character that made it unwatchable for me. OTOH I respect that you -- a red-blooded non-All American kinda guy -- would admit you enjoyed the picture. It gives hope to 'sensitive guys' across the planet and those of us who love them.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam hain2
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1964

- posted      Profile for sam hain2   Email sam hain2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An often forgotten gem of Costner's would have to be American Flyers.

But my favorite Costner film would have to be Field of Dreams. A great fantasy movie which has the added bonus of having the always great James Earl Jones playing Terance Mann.

Tin Cup and Bull Durham were also good. Maybe he should stick to doing sports related movies exclusively.

Posts: 999 | From: Bismarck, ND | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home