iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Friends or Seinfeld? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Friends or Seinfeld?
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to say Friends if only because Sienfeld never got a regular time slot in my country.

Sienfeld always seemed funny (maybe not $million per episode funny, but funny nonetheless)and I'm only discovering it now in order: Great so far, Jason Alexander is a legend, Jerry Sienfeld? semi-mythical at best (his stand up cut scenes aren't that funny IMO).

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate FRIENDS. Never could see the appeal.

SEINFELD all the way. And I agree that Jason Alexander was the funniest one on the show. I dont know why "Kramer" got all the attention. In my opinion "George" was so much funnier.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friends isn't fit to shine Seinfeld's shoes! Seinfeld was, and is to this day, the funniest and most innovative and original US sitcom ever produced! Completely void of sentimentality or morale. Unique characters, had its own language, never pandered, never jumped the shark (although they were scrambling for a while, after Larry David left). Just one of a kind.
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though they never jumped the sharkl I can catch a Final Season ep and always tell its from the Final Season. That season faltered a bit.

The only problem I have with SEINFELD (and its my own fault) is I watched the hell out of it so now I really dont try to catch its reruns (Plus my daughter doesnt like the show for some reason so when shes around she doesnt LET me watch it.

For me The #1 is THE SIMPSONS- but do they count as a sitcom?

Well, anyway, talking about people not deserving their money I remember always being floored the FRIENDs would ask for raises and keep getting it. They were attractive people, but really : comedy-wise totally nothing special.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved Friends. I'll still watch the odd episode every now and then on E4's endless repeats of it. Never seen Seinfeld.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seinfeld wins by a mile. Not that this has anything to do with how funny it is, but Friends was commissioned as a Seinfeld-with-young-hipsters show. I like Friends, but it feels like a show written by a committee.

Seinfeld was shafted in the UK. Hardly anyone saw it because the BBC stuck it on late night and then kept changing times/cancelling episodes. It was also promoted as an 'also-ran' to the 'Larry Sanders' show it was twinned with. I can recall people praising Larry Sanders but being ambivalent about Seinfeld in reviews at the time. The same people now praise Seinfeld. Never understood that.

Seinfeld has two issues with it, though: 1) The first two seasons are not as good as everything that followed, which can turn people off when they start from the beginning. 2) The last two seasons (after Larry David left) became completely detached from the reality the show had tried to stick to before (which I never minded, but some people do).

Mama: Did you see the Seinfeld reunion on 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'?

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether you like it or not, Seinfeld is the best comedy of all-time....hands down. In my opinion....
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I absolutely HATE Seinfeld. Friends wasn't much better, but if I had to pick I'd say Friends, but only for the first two or three seasons.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No contest here. Seinfeld wins HUGE. I agree George was the best on the show.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
I think a few I LOVE LUCY fans might disagree with that SEINFELD being the best of all time thing but its a Modern Day Classic.

By the way, my father moved to California right after SEINFELD started and when I would go visit him he would be like "No one I know here watches that show". And he would watch it with me and say it was a "New York show", I guess meaning that the charactors lived in New York and had experiences that were pretty limited to people who lived in New York (?!) Its good to hear people from England say they find the show funny cuz my fathers theory never held water with me since the show was so highly-rated all over the world.

LOGAN: I have never seen CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM! I think it was on a cable channel I dont have.

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Love Lucy was a show who's appeal I never understood. I guess for it's time it was good but to me it never aged well even when I was really young.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that either Friends or Seinfeld will stand the test of time. To me, Friends wasn't really a comedy- it was more of a soap opera. And I am not sure about Seinfeld holding up in say 2050? Will it still be funny then? Ever since Larry David urinated on a painting of Jesus on Curb Your Enthusiasm, I have refused to watch Seinfeld repeats. I have never seen CYE, and I will never watch it now. I don't see any humor in it, and I wonder what would happen if the tables were turned on Larry David?
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, I'm not a Christian but David was out of line there; disgusting behaviour IMO.

But I don't relate that latter day trangession to 'Seinfeld' as a series per say. I've not seen 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' and don't plan to if that's the level it pitches at.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a particularly weak episode of Curb. He didn't actually urinate on the picture; he urinated into the lavatory but it 'splashed' to a picture on the wall. Frankly, the whole episode was weak setups and poor execution.

I would say that it doesn't really relate to Seinfeld, though. Jerry and the cast were the constant through line on Seinfeld. Larry left after season 7 (I believe).

I agree that Friends became a show that revolved around the relationships of the characters and the will-they-won't-they dynamic of a soap opera as much as it did comedy (especially in the later series').

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richie
Master Rewinder
Member # 3527

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going on a limb here, but I LOVED them both, and would put them in the 'legendary' catagory, along with Cheers, MASH, and Cosby Show (as far as the more recent sitcoms). I hope that I dont make any enemies, but The Office is heading in the same direction!
Posts: 248 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faust1979
Senior Rewinder
Member # 8548

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Faust1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seinfeld all the way for me! I love it
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was never a fan, but my aunt continually loved Seinfeld.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EJ Loves Takashi
Master Rewinder
Member # 7767

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for EJ Loves Takashi   Email EJ Loves Takashi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watch an episode of Seinfeld every night to end my day on a high note. I think that is a testament
to my adoration for the show.

George was it for me. Though he may not have gotten the laugh out loud roar like Kramer, he couldnt help but chuckle inside at his crazy schemes!

Posts: 155 | From: Today Indiana....probably tomorrow too actually! | Registered: Feb 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George actually was the laugh out loud roar for me! I often found Kramer's buffoonish antics the weakest link in the chain!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
George was Larry David. I relate to George the most. Did anyone else see the reunion on 'Curb'?
EJ Loves Takashi
Master Rewinder
Member # 7767

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for EJ Loves Takashi   Email EJ Loves Takashi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JAY LEE, I lough at loud at him too, but Kramer always got the laughter from the audience. George never seemed to get that.

I missed the reunion, were they their characters from Seinfeld or were there character completely different?

Saw the Fryers Club episode last night!

Posts: 155 | From: Today Indiana....probably tomorrow too actually! | Registered: Feb 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
"Flying Sandos, beautiful!"
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
George got laughs. He just had less clownish stuff to do, and often his stuff was the slightly embarrassing kind of comedy that you wince at as much as laugh at.

The gist of the reunion was:

Larry David had agreed to make a reunion special of Seinfeld so he could get a part for his estranged wife. There was a 2 or 3 episode buildup to the reunion episode showing the cast and crew preparing behind the scenes and doing run-through's and stuff (with plenty of running gags). We only ever see about five minutes of the final 'reunion' in the last episode, but that wasn't really the point; the objective was to get the original cast together in the comedy confines of 'Curb' (which they had all appeared in individually). They were all playing 'themselves' (Jerry, Julia, Michael, Jason) as everyone does on Curb. It was really nice to see them together again.

oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seinfeld for loads of reasons. Too many to really go into but one is this - almost every fan of friends iv spoken to say it got too sickly and repetitive with rachels relationships with everyone and the end was just not a great ending at all. You cant say that about seinfled at all - it was great til the end and the focus was OFF relationships thank god as ive had enough of that drama in real life - rock on seinfled.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fightertown
Master Rewinder
Member # 7418

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Fightertown   Email Fightertown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seinfeld.
Posts: 230 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home